February 2022 - Favourite uploads

cbimages

28 minutes ago, cbimages said:

Aw Betty. thanks. You are a very strong lady too, you'll get past what is happening now, and will start getting back to some kind of normal soon. You have been through hell recently and are coming out the other side with some sense of humour and fighting spirit.

I hope it's OK to tell you, but I saw my oncologist last Monday. She has ordered a PET scan for next month (a wait because of a backlog caused by covid) but my bloods showed a decrease in my breast cancer marker. Down from 350 in mid December to 125. She is hopeful the tumours may have slowed/stopped or possibly shrunk with the treatment. I only just made it to the full dose of meds, because of my reaction/side effects, so the benefit has come from a 1/4 or 1/2 dose mainly. I am now taking fthe full daily dose, but experiencing terrible bone pain and she's told me to cut back if it doesn't settle soon. She's hopeful I'll get a few months benefit from this treatment, before we have to bring out the "big gun" treatments.

That’s wonderful news. It’s about time you got a break. Your numbers really went into free-fall!

What you said reminds me of my treatment. I had had several rounds of chemo. It was almost Christmas, and my husband and I had invited all three of our children and their families home for Christmas because I wasn’t sure if I’d have another. My eyes were bloodshot and watery, I was retaining so much fluid that I had no ankle bones showing, and I slid my feet to walk. And, of course, I had no hair or lashes, but hey, it was nice not to need to shave my legs or mess with fixing my hair! I did miss my eyelashes, though. My sister said I looked like a poisoned toad. Flattering, yes?

My oncologist wanted to cut my chemo dose in half because of my side effects. I told him, “If you don’t think the full dose will kill me, then give it to me. I want to hit this cancer with everything we’ve got.”

He sat with his chin on his hand and thought for about two minutes, then said, okay. He gave me a diuretic and I lost 20 pounds overnight. And, of course, the full dose didn’t kill me. I seasoned and put the turkey in to bake, made dressing, and two pumpkin pies. All I had to do is stand in one spot while family fetched everything I needed to cook, cleaned up the dishes I dirtied, while they were making all the other side dishes. (And more pies) It was a great Christmas.

• Love 4

19 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

That’s wonderful news. It’s about time you got a break. Your numbers really went into free-fall!

What you said reminds me of my treatment. I had had several rounds of chemo. It was almost Christmas, and my husband and I had invited all three of our children and their families home for Christmas because I wasn’t sure if I’d have another. My eyes were bloodshot and watery, I was retaining so much fluid that I had no ankle bones showing, and I slid my feet to walk. And, of course, I had no hair or lashes, but hey, it was nice not to need to shave my legs or mess with fixing my hair! I did miss my eyelashes, though. My sister said I looked like a poisoned toad. Flattering, yes?

My oncologist wanted to cut my chemo dose in half because of my side effects. I told him, “If you don’t think the full dose will kill me, then give it to me. I want to hit this cancer with everything we’ve got.”

He sat with his chin on his hand and thought for about two minutes, then said, okay. He gave me a diuretic and I lost 20 pounds overnight. And, of course, the full dose didn’t kill me. I seasoned and put the turkey in to bake, made dressing, and two pumpkin pies. All I had to do is stand in one spot while family fetched everything I needed to cook, cleaned up the dishes I dirtied, while they were making all the other side dishes. (And more pies) It was a great Christmas.

What a story Betty! And you've had many more Christmases to enjoy as well. Lets hope that continues - for both of us! But right now, please continue to improve, a baby step at a time. 

I realise my treatment is not a cure, just a "slow down" of the inevitable, but it's nice to think that the "inevitable" may be a bit further away now.

Edited by cbimages
  • Love 3

4 hours ago, cbimages said:

What a story Betty! And you've had many more Christmases to enjoy as well. Lets hope that continues - for both of us! But right now, please continue to improve, a baby step at a time. 

I realise my treatment is not a cure, just a "slow down" of the inevitable, but it's nice to think that the "inevitable" may be a bit further away now.

Well, of course, the inevitable comes for all of us eventually. I'm so happy to see you spending your time doing what you love to do and do so well. Spending the time we have doing something meaningful can be a challenge no matter what the state of our health.

Paulette

• Love 1

I got time to do a bit more processing, a Hairy Crab spider, a Fruit Fly and a delightful Bull Ant hunting for food. Regarding the ant, I missed the next photo.....and it would have been amazing. The ant is just pulling out a tiny red insect in my photo, but the next one I shot showed it with the prey in it's mouth, but sadly the photo was a touch soft. Given that I was on a wet slippery slope and bending down while facing downhill, it's no wonder. On the plus side, I am now finally able to start using my image stabilised macro lens that I recently bought. I had been waiting for an adaptor to fit the macrolite and it finally arrived. The IS is so much better with my right arm not being strong after the 4 cancer surgeries, and removal of all the lymph nodes.
hairy-crab-spider-sidymella-hirsuta-coff

wild-tobacco-fruit-fly-bactrocera-cacumi

giant-bull-ant-myrmecia-brevinoda-or-myr

• Love 4
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, cbimages said:

I got time to do a bit more processing, a Hairy Crab spider, a Fruit Fly and a delightful Bull Ant hunting for food. Regarding the ant, I missed the next photo.....and it would have been amazing. The ant is just pulling out a tiny red insect in my photo, but the next one I shot showed it with the prey in it's mouth, but sadly the photo was a touch soft. Given that I was on a wet slippery slope and bending down while facing downhill, it's no wonder. On the plus side, I am now finally able to start using my image stabilised macro lens that I recently bought. I had been waiting for an adaptor to fit the macrolite and it finally arrived. The IS is so much better with my right arm not being strong after the 4 cancer surgeries, and removal of all the lymph nodes.
hairy-crab-spider-sidymella-hirsuta-coff

wild-tobacco-fruit-fly-bactrocera-cacumi

giant-bull-ant-myrmecia-brevinoda-or-myr

Another set of wow images here!! I love the fruit fly eyes.

• Thanks 1

I've been digging through old photos and came across a few from a cycle trip from Hamburg to Dresden using the Elberadweg - Elbe cycle route (highly recommended.) This one includes the Mrs sheltering from the sunshine in a unique converted barge at Niegripp, in Saxony-Anhalt. We saw thermometers registering over 40 deg C on that trip, a tad too warm for comfort.

2HNDY3N.jpg

• Love 2

12 hours ago, cbimages said:

I got time to do a bit more processing, a Hairy Crab spider, a Fruit Fly and a delightful Bull Ant hunting for food. 

Carol, you certainly live in a world of exotic bugs. I saw a tiny gnat last week. It was trying to get into my breakfast berries. I tried to reason with it but when that failed, I gave it a thumbs down. 

Customer being served at hot dog stand.

customer-being-served-at-hot-dog-stand-st-marys-lincoln-2022-2HJP1X8.jpg

Misty day at river Witham Lincolnshire.

misty-day-at-river-witham-lincolnshire-2022-2HJP36A.jpg

Starbucks coffee shop sign lit up at night.

starbucks-coffee-shop-sign-lit-up-at-night-high-street-lincoln-city-2022-2HJP3TR.jpg

Urban clearway sign dual carriageway lead on to Pelham bridge Lincoln.

urban-clearway-sign-dual-carriageway-lead-on-to-pelham-bridge-lincoln-2022-2HK09Y8.jpg

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I'll whisper this heresy so get your macrospecs on. Oversharpen and downsize?

I got a fail for SOLD a while back, my first in many years, it upset me greatly and while I still have that RAW file to revisit, because I still can't see the problem, I've been tending to discard anything that is not razor sharp. There's often a bit of breeze that moves leaves etc, that makes life difficult as well.

And that darned fur on animals does move in the wind. My first submission failed because I hadn't taken into account the tiny feathers in a peacock tail trembling with the bird even when the body was sharp.

Paulette

20 hours ago, Bryan said:

Continuing to search through old stuff on my disc, I came across this, fireman or driver filling the water tank. Tanfield Railway.

volunteer-fireman-or-driver-filling-steam-loco-water-tank-tanfield-railway-north-east-england-uk-2HP0717.jpg

Would be the fireman. Drivers think that job is beneath them conveniently forgetting they used to be firemen once.

Allan

Yet another oldie, retrieved from the annals on my disc. A young couple boating on the river Wear got stuck on a weir. Could have been nasty, but they managed to extricate themselves and it ended well.

2HPMRHN.jpg

Making their get away

2HPMRJ6.jpg

More of the usual from me. Three tiny treehoppers - they grow to around 5mm. Female in the middle and two boys both wanting to mate on either side of her. And A turreted wrap around spider, another "biggie" at 8mm. It has tried to wrap silk around a reasonably large millipede, but the milli had other plans than being a spider meal.  I was checking a bush and saw a bit of commotion as milli started to make its escape. Then, more sex from a pair of leaf beetles - they are about 10mm long, and finishing with a ridiculously large caterpillar around 5cm long....a veritable monster!

green-horned-treehopper-alosextius-carin

turreted-wrap-around-spider-dolophones-t

eucalyptus-leaf-beetle-paropsisterna-clo

wattle-notodontid-moth-caterpillar-neola

• Love 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cbimages said:

More of the usual from me. Three tiny treehoppers - they grow to around 5mm. Female in the middle and two boys both wanting to mate on either side of her. And A turreted wrap around spider, another "biggie" at 8mm. It has tried to wrap silk around a reasonably large millipede, but the milli had other plans than being a spider meal.  I was checking a bush and saw a bit of commotion as milli started to make its escape. Then, more sex from a pair of leaf beetles - they are about 10mm long, and finishing with a ridiculously large caterpillar around 5cm long....a veritable monster!

green-horned-treehopper-alosextius-carin

turreted-wrap-around-spider-dolophones-t

eucalyptus-leaf-beetle-paropsisterna-clo

wattle-notodontid-moth-caterpillar-neola

Brilliant collection again Carol, I especially like the wraparound spider and the millipede. You have a knack to show the tiny ones doing something interesting. Hope they sell soon!

• Thanks 1

White-bellied Sea-eagle (Haliaeetus leucogaster) swooping for fish, Kalgan River, Albany, Western Australia, Australia

2HPR0CN.jpg

Eastern Osprey (Pandion cristatus) in flight with a fish in its talons, Kalgan River, Albany, Western Australia, Australia

2HPR0EC.jpg

Australian Pelican (Pelecanus conspicillatus) coming in to land, Kalgan River, Albany, Western Australia, Australia

2HPR0E0.jpg

• Love 5
  • Like 1