Image sold for $0

Sue Heaton

Question

Hi all,  I realise stock prices on here have gone through the floor, but I didn't know Alamy were allowed to give them away.  I had a sale appear the other day showing as RM $0.  I looked in my sales history and it is actually a newspaper sale for $0.18.  As this is in effect too small an amount to pay me for Alamy have effectively given my image away.  Has anyone else had such a low price?

23 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, Sue Heaton said:

Hi all,  I realise stock prices on here have gone through the floor, but I didn't know Alamy were allowed to give them away.  I had a sale appear the other day showing as RM $0.  I looked in my sales history and it is actually a newspaper sale for $0.18.  As this is in effect too small an amount to pay me for Alamy have effectively given my image away.  Has anyone else had such a low price?

Not on Alamy, but another library, big and well known, once sent me a check for $.01USD.  I framed it and have it over my desk and after almost 30 years of contributing to them I have pulled all of my images from their collection.  As a matter of fact this month, Nov 2021 I have seen a large improvement in the license fees on Alamy.

Chuck

• Love 1

Yikes! Factor in possible "other fees," and your net could end up in negative territory.😧

I haven't seen any of these super-low sales. It seems that it's mostly UK contributors who are reporting them. Fortunately, UK newspapers don't like my images.

I've had three editorial website tiddlers this month, but otherwise prices have been OK by current standards, including a $$$ TV use.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Just now, meanderingemu said:

and yet the average has remained the same at $30 per Alamy, which seems to imply these small licence have no gain on bottom line in the end, so i am puzzled at the push into that part of the market

That overall average is including Live News, which usually pays much higher.

I wonder what the average excluding LN would be.

29 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

That overall average is including Live News, which usually pays much higher.

I wonder what the average excluding LN would be.

LN contributors may disagree with that, in fact plenty have discussed drops in fees for non printed news

My point is that if these Novel offerings were material to Alamy results,  and therefore worth pursuing, they would actually lower the average per image in exchange for more licences. The acknowledgement that they are not material seems to prove that this is not the case, and seems then like an odd usage of resources. 

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

LN contributors may disagree with that, in fact plenty have discussed drops in fees for non printed news

My point is that if these Novel offerings were material to Alamy results,  and therefore worth pursuing, they would actually lower the average per image in exchange for more licences. The acknowledgement that they are not material seems to prove that this is not the case, and seems then like an odd usage of resources. 

Indeed, I have read that LN fees are less.

I think the theory is that NU, which I'm not in, is supposed to attract in new buyers, who will then become regular buyers, but how often that works, I couldn't possibly say.

7 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

that NU, which I'm not in

You don't need to be.

I haven't had an NU since 2011 and am still in. Alamy said in the closed thread that the 18c sales were NU, but I've had non-NU sales at 26c. My thread pointing this out was deleted.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, spacecadet said:

You don't need to be.

I haven't had an NU since 2011 and am still in. Alamy said in the closed thread that the 18c sales were NU, but I've had non-NU sales at 26c. My thread pointing this out was deleted.

this is the latest mystery to me.  maybe it didn't fit the narrative. 

• Like 1

I got one like this today though price gone down to $0.17 appears probably to be the Independent. Or it could have started elsewhere and sold to Independent I see the article appears on several sites.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/persian-peru-portuguese-b1903786.html 

Edited by Chris Burrows
Had a look around as geogphotos said there are several sites using this article

26 minutes ago, Chris Burrows said:

I got one like this today though price gone down to $0.17 appears probably to be the Independent.

Yes but do try Google Image searches because the licence I have also allows them to syndicate the article to other publishers. I rather assume that they make money from this.

I would like to think that this 'deal' is an error which needs re-calibration but nobody has come forward from Alamy to say so. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chris Burrows said:

I got one like this today though price gone down to $0.17 appears probably to be the Independent. Or it could have started elsewhere and sold to Independent I see the article appears on several sites.

today I had these two gifts, 0.07 net as Bond

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

I haven't joined the ¢¢ club yet, but I'm sure that my membership is pending. 😧

You know what Marx used to say about clubs.

However my own membership started long ago: I still stoop for a dime. Maybe not for a cent though.

wim