Can anyone tell me the common name and latin name of the big flying insect Please

Allan Bell

Question

Hi despite a search taking at least an hour on the internet and books I cannot find what the big winged insect is in this image.

Can ayone tell me PLEASE.

oxeye-daisy-greenfly-and-flying-insect-2G6790T.jpg

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell

Thank you Jerome for looking for me. The seek app sounds interesting. I do not have it.

Looking at your links I am not convinced that it that bug colouring is different and they do not seem to have the long proboscis like the one above.

You have given me another lead to follow so thanks for that.

Allan

8 minutes ago, Nigel Kirby said:

Hi Allan it comes out as a Mosquito on Google Lens

Nigel

Thanks Nigel.  I will have a look at that line too.

Allan

• Thanks 1

Don't think its a Mosquito, the antennae are much too small and it has quite a distinctive striped thorax, also a bit too big.

For me its a Dagger Fly, family Empididae.

Good luck on the species however, maybe Empis livida

https://www.naturespot.org.uk/family/empididae

Edited by Martin L
removed my pic

That’s a Texas mosquito. Everything is bigger in Texas. When we lived there for a year, I had to tie my wrists and ankles to the bed to sleep, otherwise I’d have gotten carried off.

It must’ve hopped a ride across the pond in someone’s luggage.

Edited by Betty LaRue

1 hour ago, Stokie said:

........or bugger.

Yes! It is a B----r.  Why do these flying insects all look so alike?

I have to capitulate and agree that it does look more like a "Dagger fly" than a mossy.

Sorry Nigel.

Allan

I now see that there are over 3000 species of empididae.  Oh well here goes another sleepless night while I search for the correct one - if it's listed. You never know it might be a new species.😔

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

8 hours ago, hsessions said:

I'll have a go.  Empis nigricans?   One on the top right.  Looks a lot like your bug, a female: https://www.commanster.eu/Commanster/Insects/Flies/SpFlies/Empis.nigricans.html

No bug, plant, bird or anything nature expert here, so, you know...

Helen

The closest yet. Thank you H.

Allan

Allan, my advice to you: unless it's a super obvious one, you don't stand a chance to identify correctly an insect yourself, let alone on this forum. Not even at family level.

I love doing macro of insects, I have over 1,800 on Alamy. I spent many hours with books, museums, experts trying to identify them. It's no easy job, you have to find the right people.

I know you mentioned you're not on Facebook. Shame because there are expert groups for these subjects I'm sure. I am on it with top experts for spiders, frogs, snakes and birds.

Also, in my experience, insects just don't sell on Alamy. Out of 1,800+, I only had 140 sales. So why do I do it? I love the challenge of finding them, photographing and actually identifying them. 

So my advice would be not to spend too long on this, nor to tag from the replies you've got so far, I would just try and license your shot as a generic image of a pretty flower with insects. 

Just my 2 cents.

Gen 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Allan, my advice to you: unless it's a super obvious one, you don't stand a chance to identify correctly an insect yourself, let alone on this forum. Not even at family level.

I love doing macro of insects, I have over 1,800 on Alamy. I spent many hours with books, museums, experts trying to identify them. It's no easy job, you have to find the right people.

I know you mentioned you're not on Facebook. Shame because there are expert groups for these subjects I'm sure. I am on it with top experts for spiders, frogs, snakes and birds.

Also, in my experience, insects just don't sell on Alamy. Out of 1,800+, I only had 140 sales. So why do I do it? I love the challenge of finding them, photographing and actually identifying them. 

So my advice would be not to spend too long on this, nor to tag from the replies you've got so far, I would just try and license your shot as a generic image of a pretty flower with insects. 

Just my 2 cents.

Gen 

Sorry but I find this a bit patronising.

Sure insects are difficult but you have no idea of anybody's expertise on this forum. 

• Like 1

Just now, Martin L said:

Sorry but I find this a bit patronising.

Sure insects are difficult but you have no idea of anybody's expertise on this forum. 

Certainly not meant to be. Was trying to be helpful, having years of experience of shooting insects and spent umpteenth hours on IDs. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Martin L said:

Fair enough, but you may not be alone in this

Sure, but to my mind, there is no difference with people coming to this forum for legal advice. People here are friendly, and will try and help. They might be right or they might be wrong. In the light of the new contract, it's particularly important to get IDs right. 

I see that you have wildlife and indeed some insects in your portfolio, so you will appreciate what I am saying. 

Allan got a variety of responses. How would he know who's an expert? He'll know I meant well anyway.

• Like 1

trying to be helpful

Well you really just told him not to bother or rely on the forum!

I've had a few identified here, my own efforts confirmed by John Richmond. Perhaps the variety of insects in the UK is different to what you're used to- maybe easier to identify? Anyway the dagger-fly identification looked pretty solid to me.

In the light of the new contract, it's particularly important to get IDs right. 

The clause relating to accuracy of metadata has been there forever. It has undergone several modifications over the years but the key point is that this not new. You signed up to this years ago. 

I doubt that a misidentification of an animal or plant would lead to any problems for any contributor but it is certainly best not to guess if there are doubts.