Contract Change 2021 - Official thread

37 minutes ago, Elba Cabrera said:

Does anyone know how to remove your content as a contributor? We are not required to accept the "new contract" that was already abusive.
I have sent several emails to request the removal of my images, but I have only gotten vain responses ...

What is their response in the email? My understanding is that those who are leaving Alamy will see their images disappear on the last day of the old contract.

Paulette

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SemmickPhoto said:

Why is everyone talking about getting paid a commission? You get paid a royalty, the agency takes the commission. Think about it, you get 12% royalty and the agencies take 88% commission. 

A royalty is an amount paid by a third party to an owner of a product or patent for the use of that product or patent. 

Commission is an amount earned in exchange for transacting a sale of a product or providing a service.

Stop saying you get a commission, it is factually incorrect.

You seem to have joined Alamy just yesterday have no photos uploaded and are telling us how things are. Really? you may be about right on the terminology but not very helpful

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SemmickPhoto said:

Why is everyone talking about getting paid a commission? You get paid a royalty, the agency takes the commission. Think about it, you get 12% royalty and the agencies take 88% commission. 

A royalty is an amount paid by a third party to an owner of a product or patent for the use of that product or patent. 

Commission is an amount earned in exchange for transacting a sale of a product or providing a service.

please keep to the topic of this thread

you are welcome to your opinion- but no need to tell us what to stop doing

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SemmickPhoto said:

The ship sailed on that distinction a long time ago.

If "commission" is the wrong term then maybe tell Alamy which uses the term extensively,

https://www.alamy.com/terms/contributor.aspx#alamy_commission

but it seems to me that " providing a service" is exactly what Alamy does for us and "an amount earned in exchange for ........ providing a service" is exactly what Alamy deducts from our licence fees.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, AlbertSnapper said:

You say that 17 million of the 260 million images that you have here are exclusive.

That's not a great amount in the grand scheme of things.

Keeping it at 50/50 would not only help us contributors who are exclusive with you, but also yourselves with much of the encyclopedic collection that simply isn't available anywhere else.

Why tempt us to put our images elsewhere which increases competition (and lower pricing) for us all ?

Good point.

Please reconsider the 50/50 split for those contributors who want to be exclusive.

• Love 1
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, SeaKevin said:

The images that I have on Alamy have never been available through any other agency. Over the years here, I have had one exclusive sale on Alamy. A customer wanted to ensure that nobody else could use the same image on the cover of a trade book. I have control over my library and I was able to guarantee that exclusivity within an hour of that request coming in to Alamy. In this case, exclusivity had substantial value.

To protect the part of my photography business that continues to grow, I do want to ensure that Alamy is not scaring customers I have nurtured. I don't understand how that request is a sign of cheating, nor do I understand how that position is unreasonable.

Exactly the same here ... Alamy please listen!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elba Cabrera said:

Does anyone know how to remove your content as a contributor? We are not required to accept the "new contract" that was already abusive.
I have sent several emails to request the removal of my images, but I have only gotten vain responses ...

Did you ask for your images to be removed or for your account to be closed as you don’t accept the new contract?

If the former your images will stay on sale for 6 months and your account will still be open. 

If the latter then you should have had a reply saying your account will close on 30th June. Your images will then be removed immediately.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Just to add to that. In relation to images people are saying sales or sold. We do not sell our images we LICENCE them. Please stop saying "sales or sold".

Allan

Allan, all of us old timers know they are licensed. I simply say “sold” because it’s easier/quicker to type! So you’ll just have to grit your teeth, my dear! 😁

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Did you ask for your images to be removed or for your account to be closed as you don’t accept the new contract?

If the former your images will stay on sale for 6 months and your account will still be open. 

If the latter then you should have had a reply saying your account will close on 30th June. Your images will then be removed immediately.

Not immediately, apparently. Mine are still up after three days. This is what they wrote to me;

"Sorry to hear you want to leave us - we'll start the termination process and your account will be closed on the 30th June." 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Allan, all of us old timers know they are licensed. I simply say “sold” because it’s easier/quicker to type! So you’ll just have to grit your teeth, my dear! 😁

and even Alamy refers to the report as "Sales History"    (plus I don't need to worry about the licence or license for noun, but always licensed for verb form) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KevinS said:

Not immediately, apparently. Mine are still up after three days. This is what they wrote to me;

"Sorry to hear you want to leave us - we'll start the termination process and your account will be closed on the 30th June." 

To clarify...when your account is closed on 30th June your images will be removed immediately.

11 minutes ago, KevinS said:

as per the contract.  45 days notice, or in case of Contract change at contract change. 

Just now, Thyrsis said:

To clarify...when your account is closed on 30th June your images will be removed immediately.

maybe not anymore, since there is no contract change on the 1st of July, so now the 45 days from request clause should apply

2 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

maybe not anymore, since there is no contract change on the 1st of July, so now the 45 days from request clause should apply

It still says 1st July on the contributor dashboard.......

Edited by Thyrsis
Mistake!

2 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

The notification of the new contract has gone from the home page! Have Alamy officially withdrawn it? 

It is still on my Dashboard.

Paulette

4 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

The notification of the new contract has gone from the home page! Have Alamy officially withdrawn it? 

yes, announced yesterday it was being redrafted, and we would get a new notice period when new text comes out. 

Edited by meanderingemu

5 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

This seems correct. I would prefer that Alamy deletes my photos ASAP;

1. Alamy may in its sole discretion, without terminating this Contract, delete any individual item of Content at any time.

15 hours ago, SeaKevin said:

What I'm missing is understanding what was wrong with the old infringement system. You'd get an automated email that described a potential infringement and you would reply CHASE if it was OK for Alamy to pursue. Why is that too onerous for Alamy?

Terms of their contract with the company that does infractions chasing? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Possibly, however, when i have refreshed my dashboard the alert at the top still says "A new contributor contract comes into force from the 1st of July 2021"

Alamy need to amend everyones dashboard to fall in line with the 45 days extension to the existing contract that they have mentioned previously

Edited by ChrisR Photo
spelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Elba Cabrera said:

They're prompt with their responses to resignation letters.  You have to resign to get images removed before the new contract comes into effect (the 45 days was recently reset.

2 minutes ago, ChrisR Photo said:

Possibly, however, when i have refreshed my dashboard the alert at the top still says "A new contributor contract comes into force from the 1st of July 2021"

Alamy need to amend everyones dashboard to fall in line with the 45 days extension to the existing contract that have mentioned previously

I'm sure they will do that once the revised contract is posted and a date fixed.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

They're prompt with their responses to resignation letters.  You have to resign to get images removed before the new contract comes into effect (the 45 days was recently reset.

actually if you resign today they will be removed in 45 days, which likely is before the amended contract comes into play based on the announcement at the top of this thread. 

• Alamy locked this topic
  • Alamy unlocked this topic