Thank you, Captain Sir Tom

I clearly remember when the TV picked up this story of an old soldier walking his garden terrace with his walking frame to raise £1,000 before his coming 100th birthday for the National Health Service. No one could imagine how this would take off and the roughly £39 million could wind up in the fund. Heroic! The end came very quickly which, sadly, is how this virus so often works.

• Love 2
  • Like 2

At 18:00 GMT today . . .

we will all be clapping a thank you for Captain Sir Tom. Join in, wherever you are!  I do not see his passing as a sad event; nobody lives forever. He knew that. He was 100 years old and had his best year last, being extra helpful and being giving a knighthood. 

• Love 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, John Mitchell said:

Hate to to say this, but they think that he might have contracted the virus during the trip.

I've heard that he probably contracted it in the hospital when he went in to be treated for pneumonia.  There are a lot of people saying all sorts of things.  He didn't linger; he was lucid to close to the end at least.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

I've heard that he probably contracted it in the hospital when he went in to be treated for pneumonia.  There are a lot of people saying all sorts of things.  He didn't linger; he was lucid to close to the end at least.

Yes, who knows. Several theories have been mentioned in the Canadian media.

10 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Hate to say this but he might well be being used politically to mask catastrophic mistakes by the UK government. 

Here in Canada, one good thing -- if it's possible to say this -- about the pandemic is that it has exposed the negligence and awful conditions in many long-term care homes. It's not fair that some of society's most vulnerable people have had to suffer the way they have.

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Hate to say this but he might well be being used politically to mask catastrophic mistakes by the UK government. 

If Sir Tom caught it in hospital, that says some thing are not being done.  We had some serious problems in the US, from the top to the idiots who refused to wear masks and threw temper tantrums in public that would have gotten them coshed and dragged out to the parking lot here.  I think we shared the idiots and you had smarter con people in government who helped their friends more than the general public.

• Dislike 1

Only yesterday, whilst standing at the bus stop, I got drawn into a conversation.
Yes, in Germany, they do this kind of thing and I'm usually not into it.
Everyone was wearing masks, being cautious not to be too close to anyone.
Then one woman said she was not going to get the vaccination.
I've already had too many vaccinations in the past, she said. And then, as an afterthought
she said she worked in the care for the elderly, visiting them in their homes etc.

Go figure.

I'm really sorry for Sir Tom. It's a real shame that he contracted the virus.
May he rest in peace.

Edited by vpics
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, MizBrown said:

If Sir Tom caught it in hospital, that says some thing are not being done.  We had some serious problems in the US, from the top to the idiots who refused to wear masks and threw temper tantrums in public that would have gotten them coshed and dragged out to the parking lot here.  I think we shared the idiots and you had smarter con people in government who helped their friends more than the general public.

The real tragedy in the US has been the extreme politicization of the pandemic. At least the new administration is trying to inject some sanity into the situation. The number of new cases appear to be levelling off and even declining in most states, so perhaps their efforts are starting to pay off. The big challenges everywhere now seem to be vaccine shortages and all the unpredictable new variants of the virus.