The new Food Photography thread

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Hoping for a few more pix of lockdown lusciousness!

I may do bread today but although it tastes great it tends to come out looking like a curling stone. Not photogenic.

As long as it tastes great that's the main thing😄Yesterday I made beetroot chocolate brownies - first time I've ever made brownies of any description.  I weighed out all the ingredients and put them into separate bowls first - very Nigella😄 The result.........the kitchen looked like a work of art in itself perhaps I should have taken a photo of that 😄The taste - they were ok though I couldn't taste the beetroot not that it mattered. They were quite moorish.  

Today I will try and get the ingredients to make Chelsea Buns, it's years since I made them but I've promised the neighbours so guess I will have to make a double batch - well that's something to do tomorrow as I think rain is forecast, not that it makes much difference these days🙃

Enjoy your bread😁

Carol

I may do bread today but although it tastes great it tends to come out looking like a curling stone. Not photogenic.

I made a Frittata this week but forgot to upload it with a batch of pics yesterday. I’ll upload it today and post it when it clears. I’ve also made myself a light tent this week out of painted  board and a small softbox and used that to take some food product shots. I found this useful tutorial for cleaning up the white backgrounds in Adobe Raw using the color range mask..

https://photoshoptrainingchannel.com/camera-raw-color-range-mask/

2E9EBHR.jpg

2E9EBKW.jpg

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Steve Hyde said:

I made a Frittata this week but forgot to upload it with a batch of pics yesterday. I’ll upload it today and post it when it clears. I’ve also made myself a light tent this week out of painted  board and a small softbox and used that to take some food product shots. I found this useful tutorial for cleaning up the white backgrounds in Adobe Raw using the color range mask..

https://photoshoptrainingchannel.com/camera-raw-color-range-mask/

2E9EBHR.jpg

2E9EBKW.jpg

I made a Frittata last night but didn't shoot it, I look forward to seeing yours. Ah I just thought there is some left for lunch 😄thank you also for the link...

Carol

• Love 1

My Michelin souffle was at a restaurant during the brief period of restrictions being lifted - we had a voucher to use but couldn't have the accompanying wines due to restrictions. So we still have part of the voucher to use sometime. it's the only time we went out somewhere last year after March 23rd.

Here’s the Frittata I mentioned in my last post. It’s a Goats Cheese and Tomato recipe from a Louise Parker book, Lean for Life. I pad it out with chopped up low fat sausages, a bit of chorizo and eat it cold. Of all the recipe books we’ve had over the years, more meals from this book have made it into our regular meal plans than any other.

2E9KEPP.jpg

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve Hyde said:

Here’s the Frittata I mentioned in my last post. It’s a Goats Cheese and Tomato recipe from a Louise Parker book, Lean for Life. I pad it out with chopped up low fat sausages, a bit of chorizo and eat it cold. Of all the recipe books we’ve had over the years, more meals from this book have made it into our regular meal plans than any other.

2E9KEPP.jpg

Looks amazing Steve and great styling..... I need more valentines chocolates, the ones I had seem to have disappeared😁

Carol

• Love 1

On 08/02/2021 at 09:45, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Looks amazing Steve and great styling..... I need more valentines chocolates, the ones I had seem to have disappeared😁

Carol

So did mine, Carol. I’ve already lost the pound I gained. Those things are addictive. The brand I buy has maple creams scattered in. My favorites.

Hey, we're letting the food and this food post get cold. 

I wonder when Boris will let the restaurants open again? Not soon, I fear. Liverpool supermarkets have lots of food, so I won't be going hungry. Today I made a discovery of a food-source possibility that fits in between eating home and eating out. Takeaway!

2EFJM00.jpg

This is Cajan salmon with sweet potato mash and fresh spinach. It was really good and not expensive and they are less than five minutes for my front door. Nude it's called. Right next door to Nude is another takeaway that does Mexican. Listo Burrito. Rudy's Pizzeria you know and there are two 5 Guys nearby for my occasional burger. Could it be that I will learn to like the lockdown???

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I wonder when Boris will let the restaurants open again? Not soon, I fear. Liverpool supermarkets have lots of food, so I won't be going hungry. Today I made a discovery of a food-source possibility that fits in between eating home and eating out. Takeaway!

2EFJM00.jpg

This is Cajan salmon with sweet potato mash and fresh spinach. It was really good and not expensive and they are less than five minutes for my front door. Nude it's called. Right next door to Nude is another takeaway that does Mexican. Listo Burrito. Rudy's Pizzeria you know and there are two 5 Guys nearby for my occasional burger. Could it be that I will learn to like the lockdown???

I mostly cook for myself, but I do avail myself of the takeaway option when I feel like it. When my son visits, he always buys things he thinks I “need” without asking. Tonight I had two of the frozen crab cakes he bought heated in the oven for 20 minutes. Corn on the cob, and I had a meal. He also bought a container full of bite size Reece’s peanut butter cups. He thinks I’m too skinny.

I almost never eat breakfast, but yesterday I had a sonogram of my liver, gall bladder & pancreas, then went straightaway to a dental appt. I ended up having one meal for the day about 1 pm. So this morning I was ravenous and had scrambled eggs and sausages.

Then nothing until the crab cakes this evening. Nothing is easier than popping something in the oven and throwing an ear of corn in boiling water. Except takeout, of course. My one meal yesterday was just that. Chicken strips, French fries and dipping gravy. Mmmm.

I’m craving a rib eye steak. I wonder if I can get a loan so I can buy one? Anybody? Huh? Huh?

• Like 1

On 08/02/2021 at 13:53, Steve Hyde said:

2E9KEPP.jpg

Steve, save me a slice of that frittata, please. 

12 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

2EFJM00.jpg

Edo you a lucky to have so many different types of takeaway cuisine near to you. All we have is Fish & chips, Pizza and Chinese. I do like chinese but the others?????  I do better getting ready meals from Tesco to put in the freezer. We do have an M&S food hall but it is a good 20 - 30 minutes drive across town and I do not like paying out for too much fuel which adds to the cost of the meal which is costly enough as it is.

Allan

We indulged in a home delivered 7 course tasting menu with matching wines for Valentine’s Day/birthday celebration. Getting decent photos of the last courses somehow proved more difficult... wonder why. A few here:

a-lockdown-7-course-tasting-menu-valenti

fine-dining-plate-of-food-of-cured-sea-t

fine-dining-plate-of-food-smoked-mackere

fine-dining-plate-of-food-bavette-steak-

fine-dining-dessert-plate-coconut-panna-

3 minutes ago, Sally said:

We indulged in a home delivered 7 course tasting menu with matching wines for Valentine’s Day/birthday celebration. Getting decent photos of the last courses somehow proved more difficult... wonder why. A few here:

a-lockdown-7-course-tasting-menu-valenti

Looks like a game of Scrabble there.

We had the wine but I don't recall much about the food. We got up at about 4pm for a pavement gin.

12 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Nice food snaps, Sally -- tasty looking stuff. 

Ed, tomorrow I'll try to email pix of my hotel breakfast and/or on-set lunch. No substitute for a meeting, and it won't be home-cooked, but I may have something new to put on the thread.

We're actually having a frozen pizza for lunch- have to wait till Saturday for my usual tour de force.

• Like 1

In the lockdown, it's one step forward and two steps back.

I bounced out today to try another nearby takeaway but found it closed. That was the TexMex place. They were open yesterday . . . but maybe just to do some fixing up. ??? I went up the road to Rudy's and found them closed too. The nice Italian chef opened the locked door and told me they opened to customers at 4PM. Hmm.

My takeaway enthusiasm of yesterday is gone. 🤔

I’m going to try a new recipe I got off the Internet. This recipe was taken from the poster’s mother’s old-time recipes.

Use a package of unsweetened Koolade, any flavor. I think I’ll do strawberry.

Koolade Pie

I can Eagle Brand condensed milk (this is very sweetened, thick milk) poured into a medium to large bowl

One package unsweetened koolade. Stir until completely blended.

one 8 oz container cool whip, folded in until blended.

Put mixture into a bought graham cracker crust, cover and chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours or until the next day.

What can be quicker and simpler? I’ll see if strawberries are available, if not, I’ll buy frozen and use a few for garnish on the top.

I understand these American products probably aren’t available to you, but you probably have something equal.

I hope this recipe tastes okay. I’m for easy these days, and I always loved chiffon pie. I think this could be prepared in about 5 minutes.

The lady on Youtube used Black cherry flavor.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Food looks delish Sally hope you enjoyed it lovely images also😄 I'm going to attempt American Key Lime pie in the next day or so when I get the ingredients, my blow torch is working what can possibly go wrong😁

Carol

This is my go to Key Lime Pie recipe, I usually serve the cream separately as I prefer the pie without! 

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/key-lime-pie-1

16 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’m going to try a new recipe I got off the Internet. This recipe was taken from the poster’s mother’s old-time recipes.

Use a package of unsweetened Koolade, any flavor. I think I’ll do strawberry.

Koolade Pie

I can Eagle Brand condensed milk (this is very sweetened, thick milk) poured into a medium to large bowl

One package unsweetened koolade. Stir until completely blended.

one 8 oz container cool whip, folded in until blended.

Put mixture into a bought graham cracker crust, cover and chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours or until the next day.

What can be quicker and simpler? I’ll see if strawberries are available, if not, I’ll buy frozen and use a few for garnish on the top.

I understand these American products probably aren’t available to you, but you probably have something equal.

I hope this recipe tastes okay. I’m for easy these days, and I always loved chiffon pie. I think this could be prepared in about 5 minutes.

The lady on Youtube used Black cherry flavor.

Hi Betty, my sister in law has just returned to the UK after 20yrs in the States. I asked her what the UK equivalents would be for your recipe and it comes out as this:

Koolade, there’s nothing really similar in the UK but you can get Koolade on Amazon.co.uk  Eagle Brand Condensed milk is probably the same as Carnation condensed milk.  Cool whip is like Birds Dream Topping and a Graham Cracker Crust is very similar to crushed up digestive biscuits mixed with butter (just like you would use for a cheesecake crust).    

Happy baking 🙂

Edited by Steve Hyde