Replacing photographs with newer reworked versions

MizBrown

Question

I've added the Image IDs of the old versions as keywords with the new versions and vice versa and deleted the old versions which I understand with take six months

to go away.  Should I contact Alamy to get the substitutions done earlier, or is what I've done sufficient? 

Edited by MizBrown
months, not weeks

On 04/11/2020 at 01:02, John Mitchell said:

I too have lots of old images that need lightening up. Too bad Alamy doesn't have a "replace image" feature. It sure would make things easier.

They do. I'm using the Covid lockdown to re-process some of my earlier images and replace them.

Just upload and pass QC with the amended image and then ask Alamy to delete the original. Provide both ID's and that's it, original deleted immediately.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MizBrown said:

I've added the Image IDs of the old versions as keywords with the new versions and vice versa and deleted the old versions which I understand with take six weeks to go away.  Should I contact Alamy to get the substitutions done earlier, or is what I've done sufficient? 

If you think the newer versions are more saleable, you might want to remove the supertags from the old ones and put them as ordinary tags instead. This will give the newer versions a better chance of appearing before the older versions in searches.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

If you think the newer versions are more saleable, you might want to remove the supertags from the old ones and put them as ordinary tags instead. This will give the newer versions a better chance of appearing before the older versions in searches.

Mark

Pretty much what I did so that the new Image ID would appear first so I could find it again. 

It's a wise idea to cut and paste the Alamy image ID of the image marked for deletion into the keywords of the new version that you've uploaded. This way a returning client searching by ID can find the image. I sometimes don't delete the old version. You never know what might appeal to customers.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

It's a wise idea to cut and paste the Alamy image ID of the image marked for deletion into the keywords of the new version that you've uploaded. This way a returning client searching by ID can find the image. I sometimes don't delete the old version. You never know what might appeal to customers.

I remember you, I think, telling me that some of my images were too dark.  None of the ones I replaced were ever zoomed.  I've noticed that dark faces in scenes tend to be less  appealing.  Take a look at the new versions when they're posted.   I don't think I'm going to do more of this on older photos, but the new Photoshop, Lightroom's color wheels (interesting that these can improve skin colors if used very carefully), and the Deep Prime in DXO's new PhotoLab Elite have some useful tools.   I have one where I've done enough work on it to realize that I need to take some things with my better lenses. 

5 hours ago, MizBrown said:

I remember you, I think, telling me that some of my images were too dark.  None of the ones I replaced were ever zoomed.  I've noticed that dark faces in scenes tend to be less  appealing.  Take a look at the new versions when they're posted.   I don't think I'm going to do more of this on older photos, but the new Photoshop, Lightroom's color wheels (interesting that these can improve skin colors if used very carefully), and the Deep Prime in DXO's new PhotoLab Elite have some useful tools.   I have one where I've done enough work on it to realize that I need to take some things with my better lenses. 

It wasn't me, or at least I don't recall saying that your images were too dark. Best of luck with the new versions.

Read Alamy's reply a few posts down in this thread:

I also did an improving work on a lot of images some time ago - and e-mailed Alamy to remove the old ones. They did for a long time. Then replied it was not a good idea to remove more than absolutely necessary as it made the system unstable. Could be why I cannot download my data for all images. (Haven't yet asked Alamy to fix this).

So my advice would be not to delete tags - remember to add the old id to the new image - and be patient and take the six months for the images to be deleted.

Edited by Niels Quist

I added a few upgraded copies of some images some time ago now. They have not licensed but a couple of the old copies have.

The moral of this story is "Do not delete the older copies, they can still be licensed."

Allan

5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I added a few upgraded copies of some images some time ago now. They have not licensed but a couple of the old copies have.

The moral of this story is "Do not delete the older copies, they can still be licensed."

Allan

These hadn't been zoomed in several years.  One of the old versions showed up on a search yesterday and didn't get zoomed (probably not the old man in the house they were looking for).   I've had some odd things license, but none of those. 

1 hour ago, MizBrown said:

These hadn't been zoomed in several years.  One of the old versions showed up on a search yesterday and didn't get zoomed (probably not the old man in the house they were looking for).   I've had some odd things license, but none of those. 

Where do you go to see what shows up in searches? I've also seen people on here make reference to what search term led to their image being found and ultimately sold, try as I might I have never found this feature.

11 minutes ago, Cal said:

Where do you go to see what shows up in searches? I've also seen people on here make reference to what search term led to their image being found and ultimately sold, try as I might I have never found this feature.

AoA

Allan

1 hour ago, MizBrown said:

I often see sales of images that have never been zoomed, and the trend seems to be increasing for some reason.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I often see sales of images that have never been zoomed, and the trend seems to be increasing for some reason.

Most of my sales were never zoomed, but I haven't had many sales.  One was one of seven zooms, all pretty much the only examples of the topic.  Basically these had dark faces in the originals and I was able to raise the shadows for the newer versions.    The others had more or less the same problem.   Interestingly, clicking on the first thumbnail that turned up in the search gets both versions in Image Manager.   I don't know a customer zooming on the old one would see  both, too, but if so, that's a nice feature. 

Old version (and this was even darker in the thumbnail.

H34FGF.jpg

New version

2D8DT28.jpg

• Love 1

52 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

If a zoom is what I understand it to be (that someone has seen your image in a search result and clicked it) then it follows that sales must generate zooms. However we won't see those zooms unless they are from select (large?) clients. I know what you mean though, some of my zooms don't lead to sales but a good amount of my sales don't register as zooms.

31 minutes ago, Cal said:

If a zoom is what I understand it to be (that someone has seen your image in a search result and clicked it) then it follows that sales must generate zooms. However we won't see those zooms unless they are from select (large?) clients. I know what you mean though, some of my zooms don't lead to sales but a good amount of my sales don't register as zooms.

Yes, that's how I understand it, but I take zooms, even those that don't lead to obvious sales, as a sign of interest from those selected buyers.  Don't know if they're a good sample of all buyers or not. 

5 minutes ago, ReeRay said:

They do. I'm using the Covid lockdown to re-process some of my earlier images and replace them.

Just upload and pass QC with the amended image and then ask Alamy to delete the original. Provide both ID's and that's it, original deleted immediately.  

I've done that on occasion, but it would be nice to be able to just press a button rather than having to e-mail Alamy.

12 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I've done that on occasion, but it would be nice to be able to just press a button rather than having to e-mail Alamy.

Yeah, but that would require programming, and wouldn't allow for problems because of typos.

12 hours ago, ReeRay said:

Thanks.   Just sent that email.