Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

 

The NEX-6 with the 16-50 kit lens attached is my 'take-everywhere' camera. I also have the original NEX-3, which is ten years old and still works fine. Both cameras have paid for themselves many times over.

 

 

 

You're clearly a great deal more careful with your camera gear than I am John.  My NEX 6 and 16-50 kit lens both died in unrelated circumstances. However I still use the NEX as a rather expensive battery charger.  

 

Re the labrynthine menus, I tend to use a sub set of the functions and have keys programmed to do what I need most, so now don't find them a problem. I've briefly experimented with some of the cleverer features, but not found them to be particularly useful, e.g. multiple images at various exposures. Maybe if I were to carry a tripod it would make a difference, but that's not going to happen.

 

I did splash out on a Rokinon 12 mm f2 lens and that was an unusually sound investment. A single photo paid the bill while I make far more use of it than I imagined when it was bought. However times have changed and such fees are becoming part of history.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bryan said:

 

You're clearly a great deal more careful with your camera gear than I am John.  My NEX 6 and 16-50 kit lens both died in unrelated circumstances. However I still use the NEX as a rather expensive battery charger.  

 

Re the labrynthine menus, I tend to use a sub set of the functions and have keys programmed to do what I need most, so now don't find them a problem. I've briefly experimented with some of the cleverer features, but not found them to be particularly useful, e.g. multiple images at various exposures. Maybe if I were to carry a tripod it would make a difference, but that's not going to happen.

 

I did splash out on a Rokinon 12 mm f2 lens and that was an unusually sound investment. A single photo paid the bill while I make far more use of it than I imagined when it was bought. However times have changed and such fees are becoming part of history.

 

You use your cameras a lot more than I do. I only manage to upload several hundred images per year. I keep expecting the flimsy 16-50 to self-destruct before my eyes, so I tend to treat it with the proverbial kid gloves. I too bought the Rokinon/Samyang 12mm lens a few months ago for a song -- a pristine used copy that looks to have never been around the block. It's a very good lens, but I haven't used it much. Don't think I've had any sales of images taken with it yet. Before buying the Samyang, I was using Sony's "super wide angle" conversion lens/adapter fitted on the little 16mm pancake lens. It was surprisingly good, but the Samyang is much better even wide open. I've had quite a few sales of images shot with the Sony adapter, including some $$$ ones. Recently I sold it for more than I paid for it eight years ago. Perhaps I should start my own thread called " A Cheapskate's Kit" instead of hijacking Edo's. 😎

Edited by John Mitchell
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/10/2020 at 19:13, John Mitchell said:

 

Just wondering, what camera are you using the Sigma lenses on? I like your recent architectural detail images. Were they captured with the Sigma 135?

Yes - on a Nikon D600

Edited by Phil Robinson
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

You use your cameras a lot more than I do. I only manage to upload several hundred images per year. I keep expecting the flimsy 16-50 to self-destruct before my eyes, so I tend to treat it with the proverbial kid gloves. I too bought the Rokinon/Samyang 12mm lens a few months ago for a song -- a pristine used copy that looks to have never been around the block. It's a very good lens, but I haven't used it much. Don't think I've had any sales of images taken with it yet. Before buying the Samyang, I was using Sony's "super wide angle" conversion lens/adapter fitted on the little 16mm pancake lens. It was surprisingly good, but the Samyang is much better even wide open. I've had quite a few sales of images shot with the Sony adapter, including some $$$ ones. Recently I sold it for more than I paid for it eight years ago. Perhaps I should start my own thread called " A Cheapskate's Kit" instead of hijacking Edo's. 😎

 

Yes it's great piece of kit to play with, and wonderfully sharp most of the time, you did well to pick a good one up used.

 

It does suffer more than a bit from CA that you need to look out for, but it's generally fixable. ( Even though I know this, I still sometimes find myself at the end of an editing session finding CA that should have been removed at the start - D'oh.....).   I've taken a few shots that are inexplicably soft at the edges, but most of the time I very much like what I see.  I took the waterfall photo  that I posted here using the Rokinon  hand held at 1/15th sec. 

 

Currently contemplating the purchase of the Rokinon 16mm  (APS-C  only) or 20mm (Full frame) but lots of cash involved and 16 is pretty close to 12.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bryan said:

 

Yes it's great piece of kit to play with, and wonderfully sharp most of the time, you did well to pick a good one up used.

 

It does suffer more than a bit from CA that you need to look out for, but it's generally fixable. ( Even though I know this, I still sometimes find myself at the end of an editing session finding CA that should have been removed at the start - D'oh.....).   I've taken a few shots that are inexplicably soft at the edges, but most of the time I very much like what I see.  I took the waterfall photo  that I posted here using the Rokinon  hand held at 1/15th sec. 

 

Currently contemplating the purchase of the Rokinon 16mm  (APS-C  only) or 20mm (Full frame) but lots of cash involved and 16 is pretty close to 12.

 

Nice "flowing" image of the waterfall. I've been using this lens mainly for architecture. Lack of image stabilization hasn't been a problem. If the weather clears up here, I'm going to try some "fall colour" photography with it. Haven't had any trouble correcting CA. The Samyang (same as the Rokinon) shows much less purple fringing than the Sony conversion lens that I had. What I'm finding here is that my local camera store usually has a good supply of barely used e-mount lenses at really good prices (40-50% of new). I'm guessing that people buy lenses like this and then can't figure out how to use them, so they sell them on consignment or trade them in on something else. Great news for parsimonious types like me.

 

I find the 12mm Samyang is perfect for shots like this one. Just point and shoot, no need to even focus. I probably used a fairly slow shutter speed here since the light was fading.

 

overhead-electric-lights-residential-tow

 

 

Edited by John Mitchell
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Nice "flowing" image of the waterfall. I've been using this lens mainly for architecture. Lack of image stabilization hasn't been a problem. If the weather clears up here, I'm going to try some "fall colour" photography with it. Haven't had any trouble correcting CA. The Samyang (same as the Rokinon) shows much less purple fringing than the Sony conversion lens that I had. What I'm finding here is that my local camera store usually has a good supply of barely used e-mount lenses at really good prices (40-50% of new). I'm guessing that people buy lenses like this and then can't figure out how to use them, so they sell them on consignment or trade them in on something else. Great news for parsimonious types like me.

 

I find the 12mm Samyang is perfect for shots like this one. Just point and shoot, no need to even focus. I probably used a fairly slow shutter speed here since the light was fading.

 

Wish we had a similar camera store over here! There used to be a good shop in a nearby city but that closed last year. The lens repairer that I use also sells some used stuff, and there is a good place in Leeds, but that's the best part of 100 miles away. I have bought second hand from Ebay in the past, but with mixed results.

 

Yes for architecture the 12 mm is very useful.  However mine focuses beyond infinity so I do have to check the focus on most occasions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Bryan said:

 

Wish we had a similar camera store over here! There used to be a good shop in a nearby city but that closed last year. The lens repairer that I use also sells some used stuff, and there is a good place in Leeds, but that's the best part of 100 miles away. I have bought second hand from Ebay in the past, but with mixed results.

 

Yes for architecture the 12 mm is very useful.  However mine focuses beyond infinity so I do have to check the focus on most occasions.

 

Mine focuses "beyond infinity" (An oxymoron?) as well. I find that the setting discussed and pictured here works well for general outdoor shooting.

 

My worry is that my local camera shop will close due to the pandemic. Of course that's the least of our worries right now.

Edited by John Mitchell
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

I believe they market it as their "Buzz Lightyear lens"

 

It comes with an "in perpetuity" warranty as well. 🦸

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never seen so many blah blah YouTube reviews on a lens as they're are on the Sigma 56mm. Basically, they all say that it's ultra sharp and are unhappy about it having no IS. I don't shoot videos, so I'm not as unhappy about that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Way, way, way off topic but having read your opening line " I bought another lens today" and referencing CV19 effects on us all, my mind jumped to the Beatles lyric:

"I heard the news today, oh boy" from "A day in the life".

Sums up what most of us (?) feel on opening a paper or switching on a "news source". 

So buying a new lens today marks one of those passing but very welcome mini diversions. 

Message ends - stay  safe all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Magnus said:

Way, way, way off topic but having read your opening line " I bought another lens today" and referencing CV19 effects on us all, my mind jumped to the Beatles lyric:

"I heard the news today, oh boy" from "A day in the life".

Sums up what most of us (?) feel on opening a paper or switching on a "news source". 

So buying a new lens today marks one of those passing but very welcome mini diversions. 

Message ends - stay  safe all. 


Gives a new meaning to 4000 holes in Blackburn Lancashire. That is not meant as a joke by the way. Covid-19 is serious stuff. As for buying kit, well why not? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Drifting off subject is never a problem on my posts, Magnus. Here in Liverpool, I'm surrounded by the mystic of the Beatles.

 

Michael, we lost our mayor's brother to the virus on Saturday. I'll hang tough as I can. Tier 3 has all the pubs closed. Stay safe, forum pals!

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Drifting off subject is never a problem on my posts, Magnus. Here in Liverpool, I'm surrounded by the mystic of the Beatles.

 

Michael, we lost our mayor's brother to the virus on Saturday. I'll hang tough as I can. Tier 3 has all the pubs closed. Stay safe, forum pals!


Yes Edo. Liverpool has a special vibe about it. Special people the Liverpudlians - I have to say that - my gal is one.
 

Yes I read about the mayor’s brother. Another tragedy that maybe could have been avoided. Where is that world-beating test and trace system when you need it? 
 

Enjoy that lens Edo. 
 

 

Edited by MDM
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My son-in-law was exposed Thursday at bible study but not told until today. He was at my house Saturday. He’ll soon get tested.

 

Sorry to hear that. Better get tested yourself. Best of luck,

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

My son-in-law was exposed Thursday at bible study but not told until today. He was at my house Saturday. He’ll soon get tested.

 

Oh boy.  Sending my best wishes and good thoughts to you and your son-in-law.  We are all feeling Covid fatigue and letting our guard down, I know I am and need to be better.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

We are all feeling Covid fatigue and letting our guard down, I know I am and need to be better.  

 

That's just what the little bugger virus is waiting for.

 

Allan

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

 

Oh boy.  Sending my best wishes and good thoughts to you and your son-in-law.  We are all feeling Covid fatigue and letting our guard down, I know I am and need to be better.  

 

COVID fatigue is going to be an increasingly serious problem. There was an anti-mask rally in downtown Vancouver recently -- only about 1000 Covidiots but still disturbing. That said, the majority of people here tend to be doing all the right things (as I'm sure Betty is). Still, it promises to be a long winter...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.