Backdated Refund Use from 2016

Just had a refund for an Editorial use from 18/10/2016...Australian use for $21.52 full Page!   Start18/10/2116 and End 18/10/2021

Refunded 29/10/2020....So what did client have it all that time and only now say they didn't use it?

I can't be bothered contacting Alamy about it!....just shake my head..I have heard of similar  refunds before i guess it is what it is..

18 minutes ago, William Caram said:

Just had a refund for an Editorial use from 18/10/2016...Australian use for $21.52 full Page!   Start18/10/2116 and End 18/10/2021

Refunded 29/10/2020....So what did client have it all that time and only now say they didn't use it?

I can't be bothered contacting Alamy about it!....just shake my head..I have heard of similar  refunds before i guess it is what it is..

Looks like you're not the only one, though - if that's any consolation at all.

10 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Looks like you're not the only one, though - if that's any consolation at all.

Thanks for that i've just seen the other members post...I guess it's the way it is..So that's the end of that LOL......Move along Bill you'll get over it.😀

34 minutes ago, William Caram said:

Thanks for that i've just seen the other members post...I guess it's the way it is..So that's the end of that LOL......Move along Bill you'll get over it.😀

It really is grim to have a refund after all of that time but does it have to be like that. Surely Alamy could put a time limit on refunds etc. A period of even 12 months would give any client the time they need to use licensed material. Its hard to imagine that the introduction of such a time limit would stop a buyer from licensing an image.

• Love 1
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, William Caram said:

Yes it was paid back then by my records..

What happens when its for a larger amount ? Im thinking about an image of mine that was sold for $4250. How long can they refund these images before cleared means cleared . I suspect the contract says anytime they like!!!!

• Love 1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Shergar said:

What happens when its for a larger amount ? Im thinking about an image of mine that was sold for $4250. How long can they refund these images before cleared means cleared . I suspect the contract says anytime they like!!!!

It's a BIG WORRY then...Oh boy 😃

• Love 1

I agree it's a worry if sales that have been paid for can be refunded after such a long time.

I had the opposite experience yesterday - a sale was reported for $$ and instantly refunded. I was hoping it might turn up again, perhaps at a different price, but nothing yet.

41 minutes ago, VbFolly said:

I had the opposite experience yesterday - a sale was reported for $$ and instantly refunded. I was hoping it might turn up again, perhaps at a different price, but nothing yet.

Me too..!

11 hours ago, William Caram said:

It's a BIG WORRY then...Oh boy 😃

I have had a couple (unpaid) images refunded this month then immediately billed again. Im wondering if Alamy are re-billing customers because of cover delays?

I had a distributor sale refunded after 6 months and after it had been paid for.  The amount refunded was more than the original sale due to change in exchange rate so it cost me to sell nothing. It's really annoying and shouldn't be allowed.

Pearl

• Love 3
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, VbFolly said:

That's interesting. Was yours also for a Consumer goods client, Industry Sector: Entertainment & Leisure?

Yes - Consumer goods client. Consumer products. Spot size, Excludes advertising.  Industry sector: Entertainment & Leisure.

I’ve had 2 refunds today from September 2017. No explanation. Virtually 3 years. Beware. Whatever you sell may be refunded in the distant future.

Usage: Commercial electronic
Media: Website, app and social media
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Image Size: Any size
Start: 29 September 2017
End: 29 September 2022
Websites, apps, social media and blogs (excludes advertising). Worldwide for 5 years.

That's ridiculous. The fact that Alamy allows this is even more ridiculous. They need to get a grip on this. More than 6 months? 3 months? No refund. Like anywhere else you buy stuff. Unbelievable. I've been doing stock for 2 years and I just can't believe the plethora of ways in which those of us doing the legwork get stiffed continually.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, AlbertSnapper said:

What happens if you have a whopper sale, the funds clear, you spend the money, and you then decide to leave Alamy ?

Would Alamy come chasing you for the money when you are no longer a contributor ? 🤔

I have a vague recollection (possibly from the old forum) that something similar to this actually happened, though the contributor hadn't left Alamy.  If I recall correctly the person concerned arranged to pay back in installments.  As least I think it was Alamy, couldn't swear to it.  Any other old timers remember this or am I delusional (nothing new there..🥴).

PS - the sale yesterday that was refunded has now re-appeared as a sale for the same fee!  Maybe it was simply a mistake with the invoicing - wrong date or something. 

Edited by Vincent Lowe
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

PS - that sale yesterday that was refunded has now re-appeared as a sale for the same fee!  Maybe it was simply a mistake with the invoicing - wrong date or something. 

Yes, both of my sales from yesterday are back online. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Vincent Lowe said:

PS - the sale yesterday that was refunded has now re-appeared as a sale for the same fee!  Maybe it was simply a mistake with the invoicing - wrong date or something. 

Oh yes - mine has also reappeared!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

This is absolutely scandalous!  Alamy needs to explain itself, it's not acceptable! 😡😡😡

I think honest mistakes do happen and if refunds are issued within a short time span, I don't think anyone can complain. But if refunds are made after photographers have been paid, this is not on. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

I found that one result of this--refund of a cleared sale and resale for the same amount--reduces your cleared funds by the amount of the original sale, until the resale clears. A byproduct for Alamy is a temporary cash-flow advantage.

1 hour ago, vpics said:

I think honest mistakes do happen and if refunds are issued within a short time span, I don't think anyone can complain. But if refunds are made after photographers have been paid, this is not on. 

Four years is NOT a short time span!  A refund like this is not a mistake!

• Love 1
  • Like 1