Post a good thing that happened in your life today

Betty LaRue

Covid more or less put a stop to our going out to concerts and we haven't got back into the habit, but tonight we went to see Kathryn Tickell and The Darkening perform at Durham. I guess you might describe their act as contemporary folk rock, with a bit of clog dancing and solo singing thrown in. It sounds a weird combination, but what a great show, well attended and appreciated by an aged audience.  We're encouraged to get out to hear more live music.

On 19/10/2023 at 16:12, Cecile Marion said:

I use my GF all the time, mostly for grilling fish. I’d be sad if it went off to a farm in the country.
I don’t have an air fryer. I have no idea if I’d use it.

Yesterday, I made tacos. In the past I heated the oven, then put my shells in to crisp up, which usually took 20 minutes, at least. I popped three in the air fryer & they were good to go in 3 minutes. The shells hold moisture and are tough without crisping, which is basically removing moisture without browning them.

• Like 1

On 21/10/2023 at 13:32, NYCat said:

No. I don't remember it but I've never eaten much street food. I do love good soups and keep thinking I should make one now and then. Too lazy to try.

Paulette

I’ve already made 2 beef stews & potato soup since it turned cooler. Then chili to take to daughter’s house after her surgery. Not quite a soup, but it is eaten with a spoon & crackers.

Today I (horrors) bought a small pecan pie instead of making my own. I don’t know why I waste my money. Filling is tasty but the crust, yuk. It’s not a good pie without good crust.

6 hours ago, Bryan said:

Covid more or less put a stop to our going out to concerts and we haven't got back into the habit, but tonight we went to see Kathryn Tickell and The Darkening perform at Durham. I guess you might describe their act as contemporary folk rock, with a bit of clog dancing and solo singing thrown in. It sounds a weird combination, but what a great show, well attended and appreciated by an aged audience.  We're encouraged to get out to hear more live music.

Similar here Bryan. I used to travel by train to High Wycombe to visit a pub that was well known for quite good pub rock bands. I could enjoy a few drinks, watch, listen to and photograph the bands and then thought nothing of the very crowded shoulder to shoulder but great atmosphere. Covid changed that and I've never been back. There was a very good music venue in my home town, tables and chairs, good music finishing around midnight and photographer friendly. Either I or myself and my wife would go fairly frequently, but as the venue was transitioned from a large shop during more risky Covid times, the promoter never fully recouped his outlay. Eventually the landlords of the premises chained and padlocked the doors due to rent arrears and it was no more. With Covid on the increase again I wonder if the old times will ever return.

Edited by sb photos

17 hours ago, sb photos said:

Similar here Bryan. I used to travel by train to High Wycombe to visit a pub that was well known for quite good pub rock bands. I could enjoy a few drinks, watch, listen to and photograph the bands and then thought nothing of the very crowded shoulder to shoulder but great atmosphere. Covid changed that and I've never been back. There was a very good music venue in my home town, tables and chairs, good music finishing around midnight and photographer friendly. Either I or myself and my wife would go fairly frequently, but as the venue was transitioned from a large shop during more risky Covid times, the promoter never fully recouped his outlay. Eventually the landlords of the premises chained and padlocked the doors due to rent arrears and it was no more. With Covid on the increase again I wonder if the old times will ever return.

I face the same thing, only with a movie.  “Killers of the Flower Moon” is playing in local theaters now. This will probably win best picture at the academy awards, possibly will sweep most categories. It was filmed in Oklahoma, in Osage county next to the county I grew up in. Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert De Niro & a cast of native Americans.

Based on a true story of how a white businessman & so-called friend of the Osage Nation orchestrated the brutal murders of people in the tribe in the early 1920s, over oil in Oklahoma.

I want to see it. The movie is very long, I think over 3 hours and I don’t want to be in the crowd that will be shoulder to shoulder.

27 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I want to see it. The movie is very long, I think over 3 hours and I don’t want to be in the crowd that will be shoulder to shoulder.

I have heard great things about this movie but at 3 hours and 26 mins., that is a deal breaker for me...even if seeing a matinee.  I just can't sit that long in a theater.  Sure most American football games are that long but at home I can get up and do stuff, if need be. 

BTW Betty, how is your college football team doing this season?

Luis and I (mostly Luis) rescued a young tom cat who isn't feral and may be one I was feeding a while back across the street, but he followed me home and I didn't realize he was behind me and stepped on his tail.  If it's not the same cat, it looks very much like him, and is affectionate.  Luis took him home in my cat carrier and we'll try to figure out who's going to pay for having him altered and when.   The cat is a ginger tabby, very pretty cat.   Gray tabby tom was around, too.   He's been caught once but got out of the carrier.  He seems to have really had some bad experiences with people. 

My old British friend had trouble with her Google account and while I wanted to fix it, she gets too upset over technical things, and I suggested someone else who didn't speak English, but who is very knowledgeable about computers, even iMacs apparently.  He fixed it today, so I don't have too.

We had some rain here but don't know if that was all we got of a north trending tropical storm/hurricane, or not.   If that was all we get, it was not a problem here.

7 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I face the same thing, only with a movie.  “Killers of the Flower Moon” is playing in local theaters now. This will probably win best picture at the academy awards, possibly will sweep most categories. It was filmed in Oklahoma, in Osage county next to the county I grew up in. Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert De Niro & a cast of native Americans.

Based on a true story of how a white businessman & so-called friend of the Osage Nation orchestrated the brutal murders of people in the tribe in the early 1920s, over oil in Oklahoma.

I have only visited my local cinema twice since Covid, the last visit was to watch the new Indiana Jones film, and due to the much smaller audience than usual it was potentially safe. I now normally don't book seats too early and use the online booking screen to select seats away from ones already booked. Punters off the street could still sit close, but there's less chance if we are in premium seats. The last few days of a film/movies run are always less busy, especially during the week and avoiding Saturdays. My wife has been staying a few days at our daughters in Bristol during school half term and they all went to the cinema Monday evening, it wasn't too busy. No doubt weekends are busier. Killers of the Flower Moon sounds interesting, although if there wasn't an interval I would need to stretch my legs at some point. Another option is to wait until a film/movie is available via streaming, we have done that too. 

Edited by sb photos

4 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Luis and I (mostly Luis) rescued a young tom cat who isn't feral and may be one I was feeding a while back across the street, but he followed me home and I didn't realize he was behind me and stepped on his tail.  If it's not the same cat, it looks very much like him, and is affectionate.  Luis took him home in my cat carrier and we'll try to figure out who's going to pay for having him altered and when.   The cat is a ginger tabby, very pretty cat.   Gray tabby tom was around, too.   He's been caught once but got out of the carrier.  He seems to have really had some bad experiences with people. 

We currently have our fourth cat, all but the first were strays, although we know our current cat was only living on his wits for 3 months (owner traced by chip but didn't want him back as pets not allowed in their accommodation). Two of the four chose us. 

• Love 1

14 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I have heard great things about this movie but at 3 hours and 26 mins., that is a deal breaker for me...even if seeing a matinee.  I just can't sit that long in a theater.  Sure most American football games are that long but at home I can get up and do stuff, if need be. 

BTW Betty, how is your college football team doing this season?

The SOONERS? Unbeaten. Ranked #6. Only 6 unbeaten teams, and there will be two (maybe only one) losses ahead of us because they have to play each other. But then, we could lose too. The only time I ever have a glass of wine is during hairy games.

• Love 1

10 hours ago, sb photos said:

We currently have our fourth cat, all but the first were strays, although we know our current cat was only living on his wits for 3 months (owner traced by chip but didn't want him back as pets not allowed in their accommodation). Two of the four chose us. 

Here we get as many cats as the current cats and any dog will permit.  My dog thinks two cats are fine, nada mas.  People often expect cats to live off mice, but the cats tend to find more reliable food sources if they can.  I don't technically own the second cat here, so he's my time-share cat.  His owner is a good cat guardian, but he likes the food I provide better than the lower priced kibble.  I paid to have him altered; the real owners pay for other medical bills, but borrow my cat carrier to get their cats to the vet (his sister didn't arrange for life in two houses). 

On 24/10/2023 at 22:23, Betty LaRue said:

We stopped going to cinemas prior to covid, as we both find the volume too high, almost painfully so. Maybe not such a problem in the USA ?

The same is true of some amplified music performances, we've had to leave at half time to escape the noise. Prior to covid there were a couple of small local folk venues where amplification was unnecessary and we enjoyed the genuine unplugged sound. The concert we attended the other evening was fine, the sound level spot on. 

49 minutes ago, Bryan said:

We stopped going to cinemas prior to covid, as we both find the volume too high, almost painfully so. Maybe not such a problem in the USA ?

The same is true of some amplified music performances, we've had to leave at half time to escape the noise. Prior to covid there were a couple of small local folk venues where amplification was unnecessary and we enjoyed the genuine unplugged sound. The concert we attended the other evening was fine, the sound level spot on. 

Same problem here in the USA. Even Broadway musicals have been boosting the sound. One reason I love the Voices of Ascension is the lack of amplification. There is a movie theater here in the Village that is what we sometimes call an "art house". They show old movies and they don't pump up the sound even though the audience is mostly us older folks. They also don't freeze us.

Paulette

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Baked two Xmas cakes yesterday and they appear to be fine - but won't know for sure until they are eaten ! I used to use Delia Smith's recipe which involved much hard work stirring in the butter, but for the last few years I've followed the instructions in BBC good food, where the butter is softened then melted with the fruit.  I love the aroma that pervades the house  when they are baking, that mix of spices, fruit and brandy. Yum !

Like Mark I also enjoy eating the German stollen cake that now appears in our shops, but it doesn't compete with an indulgent fruit filled traditional cake. 

Roll on Xmas !

Had some ‘family time’ yesterday, with son and grandsons, which included a carvery lunch. Having cleared my plate, I felt dizzy and passed out. When I came round, son Chas was phoning 999. As the paramedics were checking my ‘vital signs’, I felt calm and stoical: “what will be, will be”. I thought I’d had a minor stroke, but it seems not.

When the pub landlady printed out our bill, it was blank. There was nothing to pay (no doubt there would have been a lot of paperwork to fill in, if a punter had died on the premises, and the sight of a comatose diner stretched out on a banquette can’t have been good for business). We went back home and played a game of Risk, which ensured that my petit mal wasn’t actually the worst part of the day. There’s nothing like a fight for world domination, decided by throwing dice, for putting things into perspective.

Maybe this should go into the ‘bad things’ thread, but, in truth, the day ended well. Firstborn son proved to be reassuringly calm and practical in an emergency, the medics told a few good jokes, we had a free lunch... and I’m not dead. Result!

• Love 5
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Had some ‘family time’ yesterday, with son and grandsons, which included a carvery lunch. Having cleared my plate, I felt dizzy and passed out. When I came round, son Chas was phoning 999. As the paramedics were checking my ‘vital signs’, I felt calm and stoical: “what will be, will be”. I thought I’d had a minor stroke, but it seems not.

Maybe this should go into the ‘bad things’ thread, but, in truth, the day ended well. Firstborn son proved to be reassuringly calm and practical in an emergency, the medics told a few good jokes, we had a free lunch... and I’m not dead. Result!

Good outcome, but did they tell you what had caused the blackout? 

22 hours ago, John Morrison said:

"Just one of those things", said the medics. Nothing alarming about the tests they did. An early night beckons...

If I hadn't had the usual set of tests lately I think I'd be bugging the heck out of my GP on Monday. Just in case.

Not a thing to let pass by at our age (I'm 63), I'd say. I'm probably a bit over-sensitive having recently run out of parents, but the tests did point up a couple of things to watch.

Edited by spacecadet

Just survived a day trip to London for a relative's wedding, glad to be home !

The bus drivers around here are on indefinite strike, so we were very lucky to be able to get a taxi from our local Metro station after 10:30 pm to home. The alternative would have been a 6 mile walk. The driver said that his company was working flat out but couldn't cope with the demand. The strike is causing major problems for people trying to get to work, school/university, or medical appointments etc.

On 25/10/2023 at 08:18, Betty LaRue said:

The SOONERS? Unbeaten. Ranked #6. Only 6 unbeaten teams, and there will be two (maybe only one) losses ahead of us because they have to play each other. But then, we could lose too. The only time I ever have a glass of wine is during hairy games.

Sorry about the Sooners yesterday Betty, tough game.  I tried to watch it all but with the weather delay, it was preempted here, by another college game.  Hope you didn't have to go to the wine too much.

Thanks Michael.

I didn’t touch the wine until the 4th quarter. Then I chugged a whole glass. no sipping going on, much! :rolleyes: Just the one, though. Oh, well, I actually thought we’d lose 2 or 3 games this year as it is a rebuilding one, so after the fact, (not during it) I’m ok with it. It actually takes the pressure off for the next ones.

I continued on watching football the rest of the day. Love college football.

• Love 1

On 27/10/2023 at 18:47, John Morrison said:

"Just one of those things", said the medics. Nothing alarming about the tests they did. An early night beckons...

Medics do what they do very well. But they're not doctors. Please -- visit your clinic, John.

"In seniors, orthostatic hypotension (a sudden drop in blood pressure) reflex syncope (a side effect of carotid sinus syndrome), and heart disease are the most common causes of fainting."

• Love 1
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Medics do what they do very well. But they're not doctors. Please -- visit your clinic, John.

"In seniors, orthostatic hypotension (a sudden drop in blood pressure) reflex syncope (a side effect of carotid sinus syndrome), and heart disease are the most common causes of fainting."

Thanks, Ed. I’m having some tests, to see why I keeled over in a Harvester restaurant (not my first choice of venue for a rendezvous with the grim reaper). In the meantime, I'm feeling much better…

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

We’ve had a couple of overnight hard freezes. Tonight the third.  My tomato plants are toast. Why in the Good Thing thread? Because I was tired of watering them. Everything has a season, & my tomatos’ season is done. So is the potted sweet peppers’.