2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

YEP! It looks like I will have to have some fencing repairs carried out. The worst is yet to come too.

Allan

Next few hours will be the worst apparently. We’re on top of a hill so rather exposed! 3 damaged trees already....

12 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Wow, I was wondering what those strange winds from the south east were about.

Better weight yourself down with a Guinness, Ed, or a couple of clarets, and wait for it to blow over. That beanie cap's got no chance.

Edited by spacecadet

I have the baseball cap for bright days to keep the sun out of my eyes. Today I had on a wooden watch cap under a fishermen's raincoat with hood. There was nobody up on Bold Street's restaurant row at lunch. I had a nice table to myself at Mowgli, a very good, simple Indian place. 

I met the owner last week, a beautiful Indian woman with an Italian greyhound puppy. I spoke to her dog in Italian but he didn't seem to understand me. I don't know any Hindi. They may be opening a place in Oxford soon. (Yeah, I talk to dogs as well as birds.)

I decided not to leave home early today to photograph the demolition of the last cooling tower at Didcot power station, not ideal weather to setup a tripod. Left later to photograph something else also in Didcot, and to try out my new 17-35mm lens, but that was so poorly attended camera's stayed in my bag. Earlier on my way heading towards Oxford I came across a very large tree that had snapped at its base, collapsing over a ditch, pavement, cycle track and grass verge. Thinner branches only covered about 4' of the A418, and two pedestrians were already pulling what they could off the road. Shame they disappeared after I started photographing. Not nice weather but I'd seen lots worse in the past.

55 minutes ago, sb photos said:

I decided not to leave home early today to photograph the demolition of the last cooling tower at Didcot power station, not ideal weather to setup a tripod. Left later to photograph something else also in Didcot, and to try out my new 17-35mm lens, but that was so poorly attended camera's stayed in my bag. Earlier on my way heading towards Oxford I came across a very large tree that had snapped at its base, collapsing over a ditch, pavement, cycle track and grass verge. Thinner branches only covered about 4' of the A418, and two pedestrians were already pulling what they could off the road. Shame they disappeared after I started photographing. Not nice weather but I'd seen lots worse in the past.

Used to enjoy seeing the power station at Didcot from Wittenham Clumps after walking up from Dorchester.

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I had a nice table to myself at Mowgli, a very good, simple Indian place. 

I met the owner last week, a beautiful Indian woman with an Italian greyhound puppy. I spoke to her dog in Italian but he didn't seem to understand me. I don't know any Hindi. They may be opening a place in Oxford soon.

Mowgli opened in Oxford earlier this year in our revamped shopping centre, we have eaten there. 

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I met the owner last week, a beautiful Indian woman with an Italian greyhound puppy. I spoke to her dog in Italian but he didn't seem to understand me.

Crazy little dogs.  My parent's iggy used to do laps of the living room without ever touching the ground, bouncing off tables, chair backs, sideboards and convenient humans.  All at top speed.  They can do 25mph.  Scary.