Thoughts on Doing a Blog

1 minute ago, Ed Rooney said:

That's a good list, Nigel. I'm wondering if Blogger.com and blogspot.com are thee same site? They seem to be. 

Yes, they're the same.  Blogger.com is the master site where you set up, edit, manage and publish your blog(s) which then go out with a blogspot.com extension after the blog name.

• Like 1

Mine is blogspot too. Random thoughts, not updated or added to regularly as I am way too busy on projects, making photographs and keeping up with print sales. I do get feedback from it though and requests for help which I always try to support. 

Pete Davis

http://peteslandscape.blogspot.com/

https://www.pete-davis-photography.com/

https://www.instagram.com/petedavisphoto/

• Like 1

I had a blogspot blog and then switched to Wordpress.org when Photoshelter no longer linked to blogspot, paid for the whole kit and caboodle, name, professional templates, etc for 5 years and assumed it would motivate me. I got many more hits on my defunct blogspot blog that had not been updated than I got on my Wordpress blog which I hyped on occasion to my FB and 7,000 twitter followers, so when it came time to renew, I didn't. In fact, all the old posts I wrote that attracted more hits on blogspot were also transferred to Wordpress (there was some sort of app for that), so I concluded that the blogspot blog showed up higher in searches than the newer Wordpress blog.Thinking I may take up the blogspot one again, but not really getting that much out of it. But free is better, IMHO.  

I also found blogspot easier to use than Wordpress. I tried different themes on Wordpress and they got layered on top of each other and made a mess of the code.  Just my experience,  and I didn't post all that regularly, but my posts were mostly travel stories with photos, or reprints of articles I'd written (and the original articles also showed up higher in searches than my blog). Anyway, good luck. I used to follow and really enjoyed your old blog. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Marianne.

I have blogspot and it's still alive. I'll be staying with that. I want nothing to do with Photosheleter, who I consider to be a bunch of villains. 

I should be up and running with a weekly blog next month. 

• Love 3

25 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I want nothing to do with Photosheleter,

There's obviously a back story there which I'm sure you can't discuss online. Their new sites suit me as the best of the bunch for my purposes but I'll keep a wary eye open.

Looking forward to the blog.

The experts say that if you want to keep readers, it's a good idea to post once per week on the same day and roughly at the same time if possible. I used to try to do this when I was more into blogging. You can compose posts and keep them as drafts until your set "publishing time" rolls around each week.

P.S. Blogger was bought by Google in 2003, and the name was changed to blogspot.com. I had my first blog with Blogger in the late 90's.

Edited by John Mitchell

Do any of you remember when Photoshelter introduced an agency? Edo, I, and many others spent lots of time uploading to it. They wanted innovative and cutting edge commercial images, along with editorial. They encouraged the odd.  So they happily accepted pictures of your big toe or whatever. I uploaded a lot of images.

It was an abysmal failure, pulled suddenly, and left us all with a very bitter taste in our mouths and almost no sales. I can’t remember if I ever had a sale there. I don’t believe Photoshelter had a clue how to run an agency or promote it.

This was where I knew of Edo for the first time. They had a forum too. 

I had a regular minimal account there for awhile before the agency was started up and it was just outgo with no income. Nothing about dealing with Photoshelter was encouraging.

So yeah, I’m with Ed on my opinion of them. I pictured a bunch of first graders sitting around a table eating gummy bears and saying, “How about this idea!”

Betty

• Love 1

I have tried with blogspot (blogger), tumblr and wordpress ".com".

In my opinion, blogspot has a more friendly environment to work with pages/post updates, more easy to customize. And, according to my tests it has better SEO in google search engine. IMHO
Although I don't update it regularly, due to lack of time.

I keep tumblr and wordpress platforms with links to blogger, where I use it as a portfolio presentation.

andre

https://arduopress.blogspot.com/

11 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Do any of you remember when Photoshelter introduced an agency? Edo, I, and many others spent lots of time uploading to it. They wanted innovative and cutting edge commercial images, along with editorial. They encouraged the odd.  So they happily accepted pictures of your big toe or whatever. I uploaded a lot of images.

It was an abysmal failure, pulled suddenly, and left us all with a very bitter taste in our mouths and almost no sales. I can’t remember if I ever had a sale there. I don’t believe Photoshelter had a clue how to run an agency or promote it.

I had a regular minimal account there for awhile before the agency was started up and it was just outgo with no income. Nothing about dealing with Photoshelter was encouraging.

So yeah, I’m with Ed on my opinion of them. I pictured a bunch of first graders sitting around a table eating gummy bears and saying, “How about this idea!”

Betty

Thanks for the explanation. They seem to be better at doing websites, at least I hope they are, they are quite widely used and I don't want to use Squarespace because of their their tie-in with Unsplash, otherwise I like the Squarespace sites. You don't have to share images across their global platform and it seems that they are more powerful than Squarespace because of their 'archive' backend.

22 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Betty

Yes, I remember the so-called agency. I actually used to make some very good sales through my PS website, including a memorable $600+ download by Starbucks about ten years ago, plus I also developed a list of decently paying clients. It's all tumbleweeds and broken promises now. Can't say this is totally PS's fault, though. The whole stock photo landscape has changed since they started up. I thought that their virtual agency idea, where you could combine your collection with those of other photographers, was an innovative one. However, it too went nowhere. I still have my PS website for some reason, vanity I guess.

Edited by John Mitchell

Thanks, Betty. The Oklahoma lass has that right, folks. Someone gave Photoshelter a million bucks to try a stock agency. They screwed around for sometime and then one day closed shop. I went up to their office at Union Square in NYC to give one or two of them a lesson in tai kwon do. Lucky for all of us that I could not get into the building. 

Alamy, on the other hand, are good people who sometimes have to do something that does make us happy to have the agency survive. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

I've decided to do my blog weekly and on the same day every week. I think I'll have a better chance of gaining a following that way.

It will be a mix of reviews, essays, and memoirs as before but I'll widen the scope to include museums, landmark sites, and whatever else I find interesting in Liverpool and the UK. Tattoo parlors, maybe. 

I'm considering using A Stranger in a Strange Land as the title. Not a Yank in Europe, as I've said before, but a guy from the twentieth century who finds himself in this very odd twenty-first century. I'll begin in February. 

Thanks for your thoughts.

• Love 4

On 20/01/2020 at 12:57, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, Betty. The Oklahoma lass has that right, folks. Someone gave Photoshelter a million bucks to try a stock agency. They screwed around for sometime and then one day closed shop. I went up to their office at Union Square in NYC to give one or two of them a lesson in tai kwon do. Lucky for all of us that I could not get into the building. 

Alamy, on the other hand, are good people who sometimes have to do something that does make us happy to have the agency survive. 

Wish you could have gotten in the building, and wish I were there to witness (photograph) it. Then I might have put in a couple of kicks to the shin myself. ☺️

On 21/01/2020 at 04:23, Betty LaRue said:

Betty

How can we forget? Lots of time and efforts went into uploading,. There was much enthusiasm at the beginning. Then they folded up after a mere 9 months or so, which is nothing for a new agency. They didn't really give it a chance and left us high and dry, very frustrated. 

3 hours ago, gvallee said:

How can we forget? Lots of time and efforts went into uploading,. There was much enthusiasm at the beginning. Then they folded up after a mere 9 months or so, which is nothing for a new agency. They didn't really give it a chance and left us high and dry, very frustrated. 

Frustrated is putting it mildly. That makes two agencies I spent a lot of time uploading to, only to have them fail. Darrell Young was a contributor to the Photoshelter one.  He’s a good guy and invited a bunch of us who were interested in nature/wildlife to contribute to his new startup. I think he created his agency to give us a place to go.  He eventually realized it required more time and money than he had. I think he unwittingly grabbed a tiger by the tail.

It failed, too. Nevertheless, between the two, I invested countless hours for nothing.

Edited by Betty LaRue
Typo

Just as a defence of Photoshelter - I do criticise them over other things! I felt that they did the right thing by acting decisively and pulling the plug on their agency initiative.

I think they had built it to be big enough to be able to assess that the costs were always likely to be greater than the sales. How many images do you need to licence each day to cover all the costs of staff, office space, computers, energy, internet etc etc? 

There was the potential that it would end up hurting their core business by diverting money into the stock part of their business. It was disappointing all around but I think that they made the right decision. I understand that in terms of PR it wasn't great and understand the annoyance others are expressing.

Do others remember what happened to Digital Railroad? The funding ran out, the debts became unpayable, and they just shut down with a real risk that photographers would lose all the images they had entrusted to them for safe storage. 

I'm glad that Photoshlelter decided to concentrate on ensuring the survival of their main business - storing images safely.

52 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I'm glad that Photoshlelter decided to concentrate on ensuring the survival of their main business - storing images safely.

Hummm... You were as incensed as we were when it happened.

22 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Hummm... You were as incensed as we were when it happened.

I am pleased to still be using Photoshelter today and I think that might have been at risk ( I don't actually recall being particularly hostile to the closure of the stock site).  I think it was the weird 'edgy' editing that I found most annoying - man sticking his thumb out of his trouser flies to look like a penis etc.

Edited by geogphotos

On 23/01/2020 at 00:27, Betty LaRue said:

Frustrated is putting it mildly. That makes two agencies I spent a lot of time uploading to, only to have them fail. Darrell Young was a contributor to the Photoshelter one.  He’s a good guy and invited a bunch of us who were interested in nature/wildlife to contribute to his new startup. I think he created his agency to give us a place to go.  He eventually realized it required more time and money than he had. I think he unwittingly grabbed a tiger by the tail.

It failed, too. Nevertheless, between the two, I invested countless hours for nothing.

I was in that one too, Betty. What I learned from it is not to get involved with a co-op operation. Too many cooks. . . .