Post positive results for 2020...

1 minute ago, Michael Ventura said:

Did you see the sale I reported today in the “Have you found...” thread?  Your photo of a hummingbird in the New York Times online.

Yes, I saw that article. Thanks for the info.

9 minutes ago, Foreign Export said:

The positive news for me in 2020 is its my best ever year for number of sales

Ditto. Now the part to do with revenue will have to go into the 'bad news' thread.

• Love 2
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Gabbro said:

Just when I am about to give up on 2020, one photo is sold, in two separate licenses, to Japan (distributor) for a book cover, for total gross of $515.55. Fingers crossed no refund.

Oooo very nice. I wonder if it is the cover for the book sale I had of the polar bear cubs (see Images Sold thread). That was $$$ but not that high.

Paulette

34 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Oooo very nice. I wonder if it is the cover for the book sale I had of the polar bear cubs (see Images Sold thread). That was $$$ but not that high.

Paulette

10 hours ago, Gabbro said:

Just when I am about to give up on 2020, one photo is sold, in two separate licenses, to Japan (distributor) for a book cover, for total gross of $515.55. Fingers crossed no refund.

What is this with Japan, I have also just had two sales come in from Japan for $350?

• Love 2

I just had my second best year in the number of sales, 72, just one short of my record from 2012. Money-wise, not so much, but I had hoped to pass $50.000 in gross sales this year but I am $18 short. On the other hand, my average gross sale price on Alamy is just over $71. Not bad, but that is thanks to the early years when prices where high.

So, Happy New Year everybody! I hope next year will be better in every wat!

• Love 1
  • Like 1

On 30/12/2020 at 06:19, Nick Hatton said:

What is this with Japan, I have also just had two sales come in from Japan for $350?

Japan as a culture seems to have a higher regard for art than some other cultures.   They subsidize some of their practitioners of more esoteric older crafts, too, as  National Living Treasures.  They had obscene farm taxes before the Meiji restoration (up to 40% compared to most Asian countries' 12% to 15%) and farmers had to find some way to earn back rice to survive.  In the winters, they made cool stuff for the samurai and the merchants -- textiles, paper, ceramics, calligraphy brushes.   (I got this from a semester of Japanese literature in translation and some reading about Japanese crafts, including "The Unknown Craftsman: A Japanese Insight into Beauty" and some comparison between the Japanese tea ceremony and Chinese Gong Fu tea drinking, which was about the tea, not philosophy).

Approx 50% of my sales and also 50% of gross revenue during 2020 compared to all sales and revenue since I started in 2017. More photos, better photos, better idea of what sells. 

Edited by Sally
  • Like 1