What Subjects in Winter?

So, editorial can be black and white, but can creatively processed images?

You know, I have spent so much time trying to process my backlog, I still have so much to learn.

Thankfully, there is an end in sight. Starting to get better at dropping rubbish (still sometimes keep it), now way better at processing and getting better at keywords and descriptions, got my particular agencies lined up and my submissions process streamlined, and only about 1000 images left to go through. I'll be glad, because so often I put off going out so as to make more progress working that backlog.

But, anyway, I'm hoping for some nice snow in February. It's been a very mild winter. Would be great to have some serious weather :)

Usually we have winter like this.

amusing-christmas-street-sculptures-made

But such a winter we have less and less. 

view-of-the-city-during-heavy-fog-at-war

Due to global climate change, winter is increasingly like this. It’s very damp on the street, clothes humid wet and it becomes cold literally to the bone. When I was in school, we were often told about London fog. I can’t imagine how Londoners live in it constantly? 

But in the summer we have another misfortune - it’s very hot. The temperature reaches +40 C and higher. That's how we live, taking pictures.

https://www.alamy.com/search/imageresults 10

Edited by Alla Bama

2 minutes ago, Alla Bama said:

Due to global climate change, winter is increasingly like this. It’s very damp on the street, clothes humid wet and it becomes cold literally to the bone. When I was in school, we were often told about London fog. I can’t imagine how Londoners live in it constantly? 

We don't.

London smogs were common when most people used coal for heating- we haven't had them as such for decades now.

BTW some thoughts on tagging- "View of the city during heavy fog"

Which city? What's in the tent? Who designed the International Style buildings?

• Love 2

The city of Dnipro. In the tent - karting. Houses were built and designed by Ukrainian nouveau riche.

10 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

London smogs were common when most people used coal for heating- we haven't had them as such for decades now.

Yeah, got it! Century live - Century learn :)

So Margaret Thatcher closed all coal mines to save London from the fog?

9 minutes ago, Alla Bama said:

The city of Dnipro. In the tent - karting. Houses were built and designed by Ukrainian nouveau riche.

Yeah, got it! Century live - Century learn :)

So Margaret Thatcher closed all coal mines to save London from the fog?

Hardly. The peak of UK coal mining was in 1913. Of all the pit closures since 1947 only about 12% were closed by the Thatcher government.

The last deadly smog was in 1952. The Clean Air Act was passed in 1956.

Edited by spacecadet

So I guess the one I experienced in 1963 was not considered deadly. Quite an interesting treat for an American to be in a "famous" London fog. We still had to go to classes. I felt kind of claustrophobic not being able to see any distance at all except indoors.

Paulette

5 minutes ago, NYCat said:

So I guess the one I experienced in 1963 was not considered deadly. Quite an interesting treat for an American to be in a "famous" London fog. We still had to go to classes. I felt kind of claustrophobic not being able to see any distance at all except indoors.

Paulette

That one as well. It wasn't anything like as bad apparently. And it really was the last..

In the series The Crown, there is a WW2 pea-souped where a young woman assistant to Churchill dies. I found that very upsetting. I thought the American actor, John Lithgow, did an admirable job as the most famous British PM. 

Oh, wait a minute -- that was the terrible fog in '52 in The Crown, the one that Mark mentioned. 

Over in Liverpool ONE today, all the glitter is gone. It seems that the holidays are over. Darker than night today but the temperature hit an almost balmy 14 C. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Over in Liverpool ONE today, all the glitter is gone. It seems that the holidays are over. Darker than night today but the temperature hit an almost balmy 14 C. 

If you can hold out until Sunday you might see some sunlight, but the forecasts aren't normally that accurate. I'd by checking the day's forecast ahead and considering taking a train east to escape the gloom. York maybe?  An ex colleague of mine moved west over to the Lake District, and let's be clear - it's like heaven on earth when the sun shines, but she moved back east to beat the depression caused by the almost permanently grey winter skies.

I got my Sony A7rii last February - no pretty snow so I was out shooting twilight over the Hudson River. I'd try the docks at twilight. Or anywhere during that wonderful blue hour. I think the sky can be really amazing in winter.

I mostly wait for snow or go out an hour and a half before dark, bundled up against the cold - but it's been so warm this winter. Nearly 60 degrees in December and January! Too bad the warm weather has come with gray or overcast skies, and too much rain, then there's nothing to shoot so I just try to process my huge backlog or upload and tag images. I uploaded over 250 new images in November and December, many Illustrations as the dull weather had me eager to try my hand at something creative. 

RE: the handheld twilight setting -  after the recent discussion here,  I tried it when we went to the Columbus Zoo for their night time zoo lights since I was just shooting for fun - their no photojournalists policy is extremely strict. Got some great shots of my grandson enjoying the lights - and some nice video on my new iPhone11 which shoots wonderful images. Fun to practice when there's no pressure - you can't get a bad photo of an adorable one-year-old LOL. He walked for 2 hours - he just started walking recently and refused to sit in the stroller. Wish I could bottle that energy. 

Edited by Marianne

I believe I said in my Liverpool thread that I was able to open a bank account yesterday at Barclays. HSBC just danced me around for almost two weeks.

When I get a few more major items off my plate, I'll deal with what to shoot in winter. I see it more as an interesting challenge that a frustration.

Betty, Brits say High Street and we say Main Street. They mean the same thing. In Galway they have a street in the city centre that is named High Street, adding to confusion. ☹️

In any good size city, there are several streets referred to as the High Street. It's a neighbourhood thing. 

On 07/01/2020 at 22:04, Ed Rooney said:

No time right now for me to fret about the weather. Too busy fretting about trying to open a bank account and the rather large bill I was just sent for City Council Tax. 🙄

Make sure you're getting the single occupancy discount Ed, it's 25%.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

In any good size city, there are several streets referred to as the High Street. It's a neighbourhood thing. 

The High Street in Oxford is just known as The High! 

Even my little village has a High Street - with only a Post Office / general shop and some houses.

The road out of the village is known as ‘Tumbledown Dick’. Legend has it that Richard Cromwell (son of Oliver Cromwell) fell off his horse riding down the hill!

Tropical beaches 😎

In real life, even though another family member paid for the lodging, I'll never come close to paying for the airfare by way of Alamy. Or even the group restaurant outings...

but we were going anyway, so may as well shoot away

30 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

New Zealand this year, though for a familial purpose. Some great places and not-bad images, including the toilet-cleaning helicopter, watch this space.

I searched Alamy - and found two - yours not up yet apparently. But not that big competition. Amazing - never thought of this - and fresh air blown into the cubicle at the same time 😂 🤣

But you have a lot of other great images from New Zealand online.

Edited by Niels Quist

9 minutes ago, Niels Quist said:

I searched Alamy - and found two - yours not up yet apparently. But not that big competition. Amazing - never thought of this - and fresh air blown into the cubicle at the same time 😂 🤣

😀Pretty much that, yes, but the NZ toilets are much nicer of course. They have those spinning vents you get on chimneys to extract the whiffs. Tongariro national park.

OH is an academic in water treatment and I share some of her fascination.

Back in the visitor centre we asked about the process and the chap said "so that was you watching us then?". One of his many hats was poo-shifter-by-helicopter. It's expensive but essential as buried waste wouldn't decompose in the arid environment, so they have a surprising number of loos to discourage freelance elimination.

No, not up yet, 1521 images to work through. Watch the favourites thread- it's sure to be there soon. If I have a poster print from the trip, it will be the poo helo above the snows of Mount Ruapehu, I think.

I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to avail myself of the conveniences now. Not often you get to spend a penny above 4000'.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to avail myself of the conveniences now. Not often you get to spend a penny above 4000'.

Do they check that the toilet is empty before the lift off?? 

Will take a Captain Cook again in a while..

• Love 1

High street. Main street.

I know someone who lives in a small village and the street they live on is the main road called "The Street".😁

Allan

What subjects in winter...  Any thoughts on what subjects when it is extremely cold like the -30ºC temperatures we'll be experiencing for the next week or so?

BTW, I think Calgary is the same Latitude as London.  What a difference a bit of altitude and having mountains for neighbours make.

Edited by rickboden

I'm semi-sure that I've posted somewhere that I'm very pleased with handholding my RX100/6 in the Twilight Scene mode. I cannot tell the difference between the results with using that setting and the in-camera jpegs it produces from my usual A (aperture preference) setting and RAW. 

Rick, you don't have the Gulf Steam in Calgary. We do here. Until a major change in the path of those waters from the tropics happens, this part of the world does not get very cold or very hot.

You be careful hanging out of those flying machines! In Vietnam in a Huey with the doors open at 10,000 feet was the only place to get a cooling breeze.

Edo

Edited by Ed Rooney