Camera Info When Posting Your Own Photos

Hi All,  Since many people ask about best camera to use for various situations, I thought we could add that info when posting pictures in either "Favourite Uploads" or "Images Sold".   Unless you feel its a guarded secret.   You wouldn't need to go into too much detail, could be something like (Sony RX100 IV) or (Nikon D850 (with lens used maybe)).  I think it could be helpful for others...not that the equipment used is everything of course.  I thought of this when seeing an old photographer friend of mine does this when he post pictures on his Facebook page.  He has shot all over the world for many publications, including National Geographic.  I love seeing what he used for his photos.  I will give it a try on this forum, if others want to as well, that would be great!

Michael

• Like 2

I guess, from the lack of response, adding your camera info to your posted photos was a bad idea.  Not sure why, we talk about cameras all the time, it seems.  I’ll put the info with mine, which be easily ignored....but may be helpful for some.

Actually, it is a good idea. But my first thought was that it reminded me of photography or camera brand specific sites, (not stock) and figured it wouldn’t wash with this group.

As you mentioned, it’s easy enough for those who want to to do it, and those who don’t, that’s ok too.

With me, I wouldn’t be able to slide a jpeg in. I’d have to open Photoshop to retrieve the information, and jot it down. A bit more trouble than I want. I’ve done it before and always seemed to post the picture, slap my head, and then have to go back for the specs.

Betty

To me, the camera used is irrelevant.  All my shots are taken with a Nikon D3 or D700, no secret whatsoever.  Lenses I use 99% of the time are the Nikkor 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8, again, no secret.  Sometimes I use the 14-24, but not often.

• Love 1

32 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I stopped noting down equipment and exposure details in 1977. About 2 rolls in.

EXIF does the job nicely

On 01/07/2019 at 00:29, Michael Ventura said:

Hi All,  Since many people ask about best camera to use for various situations, I thought we could add that info when posting pictures in either "Favourite Uploads" or "Images Sold".   Unless you feel its a guarded secret.   You wouldn't need to go into too much detail, could be something like (Sony RX100 IV) or (Nikon D850 (with lens used maybe)).  I think it could be helpful for others...not that the equipment used is everything of course.  I thought of this when seeing an old photographer friend of mine does this when he post pictures on his Facebook page.  He has shot all over the world for many publications, including National Geographic.  I love seeing what he used for his photos.  I will give it a try on this forum, if others want to as well, that would be great!

Michael

Please do - I find it interesting but then I do find technical things interesting. I would only be interested in knowing the details where the pictures themselves are interesting as many of Michael's are as one can learn from knowing what kit was used. The American flag pic taken with the RX10-IV has wonderful colour saturation, for example, and presumably didn't use a polariser. Of course the post processing is important as well so maybe a little note on that would be good.  

2 minutes ago, MDM said:

EXIF does the job nicely

Please do - I find it interesting but then I do find technical things interesting. I would only be interested in knowing the details where the pictures themselves are interesting as many of Michael's are as one can learn from knowing what kit was used. The American flag pic taken with the RX10-IV has wonderful colour saturation, for example, and presumably didn't use a polariser. Of course the post processing is important as well so maybe a little note on that would be good.  

Looks like when we post an image on the forum we may have to spend the rest of the day writing an article on how it was done.😵

Allan

We often get asked, what is the best camera for this or that...such as best small camera for walking around etc...   I don’t think anyone needs to write a dissertation.  Yes, how one does post processing is a factor too but you need to start with a decent file.   This idea is purely voluntary so don’t do it if it feels like too much work or wrong to do.

MDM, no filter on the flag, just some saturation and dehazing in Photoshop.

19 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

See that in itself is interesting as I would have done that on the raw file (I'm assuming you mean in Photoshop rather than ACR). 

7 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

It didn't in 1977.😉

Yes I was never a note taker myself - can't read my own handwriting. I do sometimes make short videos on my phone about what I am shooting and where I am nowadays. Very handy

Edited by MDM

10 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

I guess, from the lack of response, adding your camera info to your posted photos was a bad idea.  Not sure why, we talk about cameras all the time, it seems.  I’ll put the info with mine, which be easily ignored....but may be helpful for some.

Not at all Michael - I am happy to do it, and would be interested to see what shots have resulted from what equipment!

Kumar

• Love 1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, MDM said:
1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

See that in itself is interesting as I would have done that on the raw file (I'm assuming you mean in Photoshop rather than ACR). 

Yes, on the RAW file while using the RAW converter in Adobe Photoshop Creative Suite

1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

Yes, on the RAW file while using the RAW converter in Adobe Photoshop Creative Suite

OK. Same thing then as using Lightroom raw converter. 

3 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

We often get asked, what is the best camera for this or that...such as best small camera for walking around etc...   I don’t think anyone needs to write a dissertation.  Yes, how one does post processing is a factor too but you need to start with a decent file.   This idea is purely voluntary so don’t do it if it feels like too much work or wrong to do.

Sorry Michael I was half joking.

You will learn to understand my humour one day.😀

Allan

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Sorry Michael I was half joking.

You will learn to understand my humour one day.😀

Allan

Is that a threat?😨

Oh you mean the other Michael - that's ok then 😁

15 minutes ago, MDM said:

Is that a threat?😨

Oh you mean the other Michael - that's ok then 😁

And I thought you knew me better.😃

Allan

Well, Michael (OP) I’m glad I got this ball rolling! See...everyone wants to know what nonsense I’m up to. 😆

Edited to add...on the Brit humor, Michael, we yanks struggle with it. Very dry and tongue in cheek. I’m getting better at it. Slow-w-l-y. 😉

Edited by Betty LaRue

23 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Well, Michael (OP) I’m glad I got this ball rolling! See...everyone wants to know what nonsense I’m up to. 😆

Edited to add...on the Brit humor, Michael, we yanks struggle with it. Very dry and tongue in cheek. I’m getting better at it. Slow-w-l-y. 😉

Try Irish 😎

I have only mentioned the camera when it is one that newcomers might not think is good enough. I'm using Nikon D300 and D500 for wildlife but my Maasai people near the Masai Mara are shot with the D80 and I occasionally use the Sony RX100 in town situations and might mention that as people want to know about little cameras.

Paulette

Basically, the Alamy groups have discussions of cameras when people ask about buying new cameras.  When people do talk about their cameras, the cameras used here can be surprisingly modest -- a couple of us use Sony a6000 cameras which are now several years old.   Others use the Sony RX100 line. 

All of us have cameras whose pictures passed Quality Control.

@Michael Ventura  I like the idea.

And @Allan Bell I've got that dry sense of humor too, inherited from my dad. Not just a Brit or Irish thing - 😎 

@Betty LaRue if you're on a MAC, you can right-click on the photo and choose Get Info - it will tell you make, model, lens, f/stop, speed, even some other settings. No need to open Photoshop or Lightroom. 

Actually I think it is good idea & will provide info (body, lens, exposure, aperture etc) when posting my photos & even welcome technical feedback. Although we compete with each other in terms of sales, this is no reason for not getting/providing input & perhaps even learning something.

9 hours ago, Marianne said:

@Michael Ventura  I like the idea.

And @Allan Bell I've got that dry sense of humor too, inherited from my dad. Not just a Brit or Irish thing - 😎 

@Betty LaRue if you're on a MAC, you can right-click on the photo and choose Get Info - it will tell you make, model, lens, f/stop, speed, even some other settings. No need to open Photoshop or Lightroom. 

Very helpful, Marianne!

Hmmm, well I can tell you I use a Canon 5D Mk 2 for planned photography and have a Sony RX100 Mk3 in my bag all the time, or when I have to segue something else with my photography.

They're not necessarily the 'best'. For my wildlife work, more up-to-date Canons have distinct advantages, particularly in focussing on birds in flight.