I know that many of you will have received an email from DACS regarding claims in Germany ("Had visual works published in Germany? Apply for royalties now.")  The limitations on the information that we are able to garner from (specifically) Alamy make this difficult, but far from impossible. A useful way of adding more beans to the pot...

Anyhow, the main point of this post is that I just received an email from DACS ("Great News! We have royalties for you").  Initially, I thought that this must be just an advanced missive confirming that my regular claim had been successfully processed, but no!  It is to advise me that "DACS has received a back payment via the German society VG BildKunst for private copy in Germany. This is due to a recent change in German law, resulting from a court ruling." and thus "we have retrospective royalties to pay you"  This, they say, relates to Payback in 2016! I'm going to email them to garner more info, as I don't know how they have ascertained that I have specific German licenses, as my Payback claims have (naturally) related to UK licenses.

Has anyone else received similar emails?

1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Are we yanks being left out? It appears so.

8 hours ago, Bill Kuta said:

Woohoo! Also got both emails. I think 2016 was the last year I did the claim myself.

30 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I believe that Bill K. (see above) got the e-mails.

Do you do your own claims, Betty?

Same here. There's been no analysis by country so I think this must relate to uses in the EU. Time to dust off my legal German and do some research on that court case.

I have plenty in Germany but could only track down a couple for DACS.

Edit: there's been a long running court case about that old royalties bugbear, publishers getting a share. There have been appeals and referrals to the CJEU but it seems finally to have been resolved in photographers' favour in the constitutional court.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verwertungsgesellschaft_Bild-Kunst

and

https://dejure.org/dienste/vernetzung/rechtsprechung?Text=1+BvR+1213%2F16

Why DACS gets a piece of VG Bildkunst's action I don't know.

Edited by spacecadet

Also got both, so hopefully a few unexpected pennies in September.

I have had a sale to Germany for a travel book but cannot find it using any of the usual Google/Tineye searches etc.I tried Alamy but they said they cannot check back as there would be too much work involved. Fair enough I suppose.

Anyone any ideas on how I could chase it up?

12 minutes ago, CandyAppleRed Images said:

Also got both, so hopefully a few unexpected pennies in September.

I have had a sale to Germany for a travel book but cannot find it using any of the usual Google/Tineye searches etc.I tried Alamy but they said they cannot check back as there would be too much work involved. Fair enough I suppose.

Anyone any ideas on how I could chase it up?

Try Altas Obscura. They've used a couple of mine.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, DJ Myford said:

I wonder if those who get their DACS via Alamy will benefit from this in any way. I've had an image sale for German TV: don't know if that would count.

I can't think it will be very much, so half of not very much. IIRC there was a category for TV claims. Depends whether Alamy cares to do the work- if I'd let Alamy do it I'd be checking my contract- they may be obliged to..

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Are we yanks being left out? It appears so.

I got the email, Betty, but I don't do my own claims anymore.

Paulette

16 hours ago, losdemas said:

I know that many of you will have received an email from DACS regarding claims in Germany ("Had visual works published in Germany? Apply for royalties now.")  The limitations on the information that we are able to garner from (specifically) Alamy make this difficult, but far from impossible. A useful way of adding more beans to the pot...

Anyhow, the main point of this post is that I just received an email from DACS ("Great News! We have royalties for you").  Initially, I thought that this must be just an advanced missive confirming that my regular claim had been successfully processed, but no!  It is to advise me that "DACS has received a back payment via the German society VG BildKunst for private copy in Germany. This is due to a recent change in German law, resulting from a court ruling." and thus "we have retrospective royalties to pay you"  This, they say, relates to Payback in 2016! I'm going to email them to garner more info, as I don't know how they have ascertained that I have specific German licenses, as my Payback claims have (naturally) related to UK licenses.

Has anyone else received similar emails?

Yes - several of my books have been translated and published in Germany

Alex

7 hours ago, John Walker said:

I always include Worldwide use when making my claim as this must include UK.  Not sure if this makes a difference but I received the email yesterday.

I include only UK region images when I file my claim, and I got the e-mails.

P.S. "Worldwide" isn't one of the regions listed on the spreadsheet -- only UK, EU, US, and ROW (Rest of World).

4 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I include only UK region images when I file my claim, and I got the e-mails.

P.S. "Worldwide" isn't one of the regions listed on the spreadsheet -- only UK, EU, US, and ROW (Rest of World).

That's true John.  However, I take it that "Region" refers to the point of origin for the sale, not intended use.

So I look to the License Detail column to see Country: Worldwide for the actual usage. So I think the other John is OK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reimar said:

That's true John.  However, I take it that "Region" refers to the point of origin for the sale, not intended use.

So I look to the License Detail column to see Country: Worldwide for the actual usage. So I think the other John is OK.

My claims would be at least twice as big as they are now if I included "Worldwide" images. My interpretation is that unless the region specified is UK, then it's not a UK sale as specified by DACS. I guess only DACS or Alamy can clarify this, and I don't imagine that they will.

9 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

My claims would be at least twice as big as they are now if I included "Worldwide" images. My interpretation is that unless the region specified is UK, then it's not a UK sale as specified by DACS. I guess only DACS or Alamy can clarify this, and I don't imagine that they will.

I include all sales in my submission. DACS decide what qualifies.

8 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I include all sales in my submission. DACS decide what qualifies.

But you still have to list how many UK books and magazines that your images have been published in. How do you figure that out?

Here's a question John.  If a US publisher sells a book in the UK, and people in the UK make copies of parts of the book which include your picture, are you owed any copyright royalties?