7 minutes ago, Reimar said:

Here's a question John.  If a US publisher sells a book in the UK, and people in the UK make copies of parts of the book which include your picture, are you owed any copyright royalties?

I think so, it's published in the UK. The revenue comes from the copying licence purchased by libraries and colleges.

28 minutes ago, Reimar said:

Here's a question John.  If a US publisher sells a book in the UK, and people in the UK make copies of parts of the book which include your picture, are you owed any copyright royalties?

Don't know the answer to that one, but my interpretation -- which may be right or wrong -- is that DACS only covers books and mags published in the UK.

3 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Don't know the answer to that one, but my interpretation -- which may be right or wrong -- is that DACS only covers books and mags published in the UK.

Your assuming the "Region" means location of publication.  I think it means location of purchase.

Again, a US publisher can publish a book in the UK, no?  They can certainly sell a book in the UK.  Then it will be read and copied there too.  The Region will be US, but license details indicate country as "Worldwide".

John, why fret?  Double your numbers and let DACS decide.

1 hour ago, Reimar said:

Your assuming the "Region" means location of publication.  I think it means location of purchase.

Again, a US publisher can publish a book in the UK, no?  They can certainly sell a book in the UK.  Then it will be read and copied there too.  The Region will be US, but license details indicate country as "Worldwide".

John, why fret?  Double your numbers and let DACS decide.

Not fretting really, just confused. What you say makes sense.  However, I don't know how I could supply (or even determine) the number of UK publications that DACS asks for in their online claim form if I include "worldwide" usages of books published in other regions. Most of my sales are "worldwide" these days, so I'd have to include just about everything no matter where the images were published.

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, AlbertSnapper said:

Thanks for the memory jog! 

Thanks for the reminder!

I got the email and I claim DACS myself, but I also read it as only being for UK photographers ... I meant to reply and determine if I was eligible (and had perhaps been mistaken) since I have at least one German publication (the Additional details are in German - I need google translate to read it but can recognize the language). I believe I also have had sales to a UK magazine publisher that also publishes in Germany (I think I saw this when I was searching for UK uses). And I've had images licensed from a German stock site but I don't have any info about the file uses. Will have to explore further. Wish I'd looked into eligibility sooner. Hate to spend time searching if I'm not eligible, although always good to see where stuff is published. 

Wim, do you know the details about the Dutch program (I think there is one?). I had a photo on the cover of the Dutch version a Nora Roberts book. Worth exploring? 

Hey all you Yanks, Canadians, and other non-UK folks (i don't want to list everyplace and leave just one person out) - we can all apply for the German payback scheme via DACS if we have published work that is eligible. I replied to the DACS email I received and here's what they said:

"Thank you for your email.

Yes, you can apply for these royalties.

I believe what the term UK-based on the information we provided refers to, is that the artist claims Payback through DACS, so is therefore represented by DACS – I think it has got lost a little in translation from the native tongue! " (emphasis mine*)

*I trust they were referring to the translation from German to English and not Brit to Yank. In any event, I'm grateful to them for making this payback scheme work.  😎

Hey all you Yanks, Canadians, and other non-UK folks (i don't want to list everyplace and leave just one person out) - we can all apply for the German payback scheme via DACS if we have published work that is eligible. I replied to the DACS email I received and here's what they said:

"Thank you for your email.

Yes, you can apply for these royalties.

I believe what the term UK-based on the information we provided refers to, is that the artist claims Payback through DACS, so is therefore represented by DACS – I think it has got lost a little in translation from the native tongue! " (emphasis mine*)

*I trust they were referring to the translation from German to English and not Brit to Yank. In any event, I'm grateful to them for making this payback scheme work.  😎

Archived