When I joined Alamy in 2008 my target was 4000 by the end of 2011. I'm only just over 7 years late.

My mistake was to assume I would scan my thousands of transparencies. When I did so I was horrified to find that 90% of them were not sharp.

Alan

29 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

My mistake was to assume I would scan my thousands of transparencies. When I did so I was horrified to find that 90% of them were not sharp.

Annoying, wasn't it. Though I'd boast of a higher hit rate. You just never saw your slides at anything like 60x40 inches, which is at least what 100% is.

I've only put them in as archival.

18 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

You just never saw your slides at anything like 60x40 inches, which is at least what 100% is.

I've only put them in as archival.

I'll get round to that eventually. I've got loads of interesting stuff particularly from the 1980s. But it's not a high priority any more.

Alan

13 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Well done, Alan; got there at last!  Long slog here, isn't it?! :D

Thanks Danny, and Kumar. It shouldn't really be a long slog but when you've got so many other things on your to-do list...

Alan

Congratulations, Alan -- 4000 is a nice round number. Personally, I try not to think in terms of numbers any longer. At this point -- I started submitting in 2007 -- I could probably delete half my collection and make the same number of sales every month. I just keep spoon-feeding the beast and hope for the best. The myth of Sisyphus comes to mind.

I spent ages scanning slides for Alamy, and I too was surprised at how fuzzy many of them were at 100%, even some that had been published numerous times in newspapers and magazines. That said, all the scanning has really paid off.

I joined Alamy in 2004 but didn't upload any slides - as I had binned thousands of them when I converted to digital. I uploaded new digital images energetically for the first 3 or 4 years, getting up to about 5000 images, then had a period of inactivity (while doing a lot of commercial and editorial work that was "exclusive" to the clients).

It's only in the last 3 years that I've got my numbers up to just over 7000. But, I rarely see sales from the pre-slump period. Most of the sales are from the last 3 or 4 years. I saw one sale last week that was one of my first ever submitted images, but it's rare for me to get an older image sale.

My point is that it seems to me that (at least in my case) that regular contributions are connected to increased sales. Keep it up Alan.

I’ve had 12 Bs, half a dozen Ds and an A licensed the past year. Also a lot of Es. My oldies are doing pretty good.

By the way, what happened to the Ss? Did I blink? I went from R to T and skipped S. Did that happen in the couple of weeks between my uploads?

21 hours ago, Steve Valentia said:

My point is that it seems to me that (at least in my case) that regular contributions are connected to increased sales. Keep it up Alan.

Doesn't seem to work for me like that Stephen. The vast majority of my sales over the last 12 months were uploaded between 6 and 10 years ago. Some of them were from the very few trannies that were up to standard, the oldest shot in 1979.

Alan

6 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’ve had 12 Bs, half a dozen Ds and an A licensed the past year. Also a lot of Es. My oldies are doing pretty good.

By the way, what happened to the Ss? Did I blink? I went from R to T and skipped S. Did that happen in the couple of weeks between my uploads?

Think that "S" denotes S*****mo.

Paul

Archived