Your latest DACS news: Payback royalties coming your way!

1 minute ago, andremichel said:

Are these payments that people are reporting via Alamy? 

I never got the email and no payment yet. 

No. I think everyone reporting payment has claimed themselves, not through Alamy.

Pearl

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

But the system is being deliberately changed to give advantage to the 'owners' of data about uses to the disadvantage of photographers. 

That is the actual intent of the changes that are being introduced. Same old....

Yes it does help those who SOLD the picture. Selling is not just the prerogative of agencies. the trouble is that the agencies are not actually taking advantage of the new system either because they don't have the information ,can't be bothered or don't think its worth it. I think the CLA changed the system to stop agencies and others from filing false claims.

I must admit that the DACS streamline "by photographers for photographers" does not seem to ring true once the agencies become involved.

Much like Alamy Measures, I'm not going to even try and fathom how it works.

I am back at slightly more than 2016 levels after a drop of 15% or so in 2017 and have not moved bands for either books or mags.

As someone said earlier, not a bad return for filling in a form 😃

Pleased that having gone up a grade, my DACS payment was up by about 80% on last year.  Looks like I'm one of the few winners this year (among those reporting here, at least).  In common with others, though, the returns for reporting ISBNs (which I didn't get around to last year) was poor: £1.88 for mags and £0 for books (huh?)!

On 10/1/2018 at 09:42, spacecadet said:

Down a couple of quid, but the real drop was last year, 15% when the CLA grab took effect.

The CLA have grabbed nothing. They collect the monies for secondary use from the various users e.g. libraries and pass on the portion applicable to photographs to the likes of DACS and others licensed to distribute the monies.

the difference is that previously DACS distribution was based on levels dependant on uses and issues and set maximums which were very low for the Pros who did their own marketing. Having to only name 3 books and 3 mags left the system open to abuse - something which certain agencies took advantage of.

All the CLA have done is to retain control of a portion of the monies,rising on a sliding scale. DACS still pay out a percentage (about 70% this year I think) under the old system. The remainder is payed out on publications which match those which have been copied in the previous year according to the CLA. As there is no ceiling on this it helps considerably those who have a large number of uses and have the necessary info to back them up i.e. those people who market their own work and have kept accurate lists and/or are prepared to do the legwork wether individuals or agencies.

However doing the legwork does not guarantee increased payments as those listed on the DACS form must have 1. the correct CLA list number and 2 appear on the CLA use list for the corresponding year. In my case some 8000 mag uses in about 110 magazine titles yielded me an extra £1200 but about 1800 book uses in around 300 titles yielded an extra nothing!

I think that the CLA are trying to make it fairer to all whilst being able to support new clients as the old uses start to drop off the radar.

My DACS payment has yet to show up in my bank account. Has anyone else in Canada or the USA  received theirs?

Last year, the payment arrived on Oct. 2nd, so I've e-mailed DACS to see if there is a problem. Shall report back in case anyone else is interested.

6 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

My DACS payment has yet to show up in my bank account. Has anyone else in Canada or the USA  received theirs?

Last year, the payment arrived on Oct. 2nd, so I've e-mailed DACS to see if there is a problem. Shall report back in case anyone else is interested.

Yes, I got mine, I'm in the US.

12 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I'm in Ireland - not had anything yet. Got an e-mail to say it's coming but that may just have been a 'round robin' thing. I was going to contact DACS on monday if there is still nothing in.

23 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

John, I got my direct deposit payout October 1 (Monday) this year.

Years ago I was getting $400, now I'm down to $264 in spite of more relevant sales.

1 minute ago, Reimar said:

John, I got my direct deposit payout October 1 (Monday) this year.

Years ago I was getting $400, now I'm down to $264 in spite of more relevant sales.

Thanks, sounds like something has gone awry with my payment. That's about what I got last year (direct deposit).

12 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks, sounds like something has gone awry with my payment. That's about what I got last year (direct deposit).

Same here - no payment yet. But looking on the bright side........ hmmmmm..... maybe they pay out the BIGGEST payments last?

On 10/6/2018 at 01:50, ManWay said:

I'm in Ireland - not had anything yet. Got an e-mail to say it's coming but that may just have been a 'round robin' thing. I was going to contact DACS on monday if there is still nothing in.

DACS got back to me right away. Apparently, there was some problem with my "tax status," which has never happened before. The next payment distribution is on Monday, October 15th. Hopefully, the coffers won't be empty by then.

9 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

DACS got back to me right away. Apparently, there was some problem with my "tax status," which has never happened before. The next payment distribution is on Monday, October 15th. Hopefully, the coffers won't be empty by then.

Hi John, Thanks for that. Yes they got straight back to me today too - got to admire the efficiency of all at DACS. My problem same as yours - tax status. Hope I've cleared up the issue now and, as you say, they still have some money left for us!!!!

7 hours ago, ManWay said:

Hi John, Thanks for that. Yes they got straight back to me today too - got to admire the efficiency of all at DACS. My problem same as yours - tax status. Hope I've cleared up the issue now and, as you say, they still have some money left for us!!!!

No problem. The DACS people are really good at replying. Have to say, though, that it's a bit of an odd situation. Nothing has changed regarding my tax status (i.e. I still live in Canada) over the years, and there has never been an issue before. Oh well, c'est la vie.

P.S. My guess is that they are a wee bit overwhelmed this year.

3 minutes ago, Young said:

Thank you John for your information.

Oops I did it again 😂 cat !!!

I opted IN with Alamy.

What do you mean by “touch the base with them “?

I meant send them an e-mail to let them know that you haven't received your payment. That's what I did.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I opted IN with Alamy." I file my DACS claim myself. Did you let Alamy do it for you? If so,  it's a different story.

Archived