Jump to content
ManWay

Your latest DACS news: Payback royalties coming your way!

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Bryan said:

When I ceased to make my own claims and went over to Alamy I saw an increase in the amount payable, despite the 50% hit. 

 

Very happy with the arrangement, zero hassle and a decent payout.

 

You have to opt out if you don't want Alamy to do it for you.

 

Interesting to hear that. Why do you think the payment went up?

 

I've always filed myself, so I don't have anything to compare the reults with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Interesting to hear that. Why do you think the payment went up?

 

I've always filed myself, so I don't have anything to compare the reults with.

 

Hi John

 

Presumably I wasn't able to provide sufficient information to DACs. I just sent them a spreadsheet of my sales edited to take out those that I thought were not appropriate - and , to be honest, I wasn't really sure what could and could not be included. 

 

I did spend some (a lot actually) time trying to pin down the book sales, but was never sure if I have got the lot, or whether they were covered by the DACs agreement.

 

Hope that people don't follow my lead next year and then find themselves short changed  :(

 

Edit - on reflection if we try to get a meaningful comparison between a claim through Alamy and going it alone, the % of your DACS payment of your total sales might be a more meaningful statistic than the DACS income this year. In my case it is 0.61% of total gross sales since joining Alamy

 

Edited by Bryan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2018 at 12:33, NYCat said:

 

I don't have mine yet either. I'd wait until someone reports they have received theirs from Alamy. If you haven't at that point contact them.

 

Paulette

Good idea.

By the way I received mine today :-)

 

Young

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly down on last year, but with no additional qualifying sales that was expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alamy does mine and it was double last year's amount so I'm happy with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bryan said:

 

Hi John

 

Presumably I wasn't able to provide sufficient information to DACs. I just sent them a spreadsheet of my sales edited to take out those that I thought were not appropriate - and , to be honest, I wasn't really sure what could and could not be included. 

 

I did spend some (a lot actually) time trying to pin down the book sales, but was never sure if I have got the lot, or whether they were covered by the DACs agreement.

 

Hope that people don't follow my lead next year and then find themselves short changed  :(

 

Not sure if this helps but Alamy paid me $204 this year. 

 

Thanks. That's about what I received after filing on my own (no 50% hit). You probably get many more UK book and mag sales, though. I only see a handful of new ones every year. I'm useless at finding ISBN's, etc. Shall have to think about this...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting -- and a bit confusing -- to see some people reporting higher payouts when letting Alamy do the work, despite the 50% cut.

 

Since we don't have the ISBN/ISSN info needed to file a full DACS claim now, is it time to turn the job over to Alamy? I've always filed myself.

 

Any thoughts on this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John, not sure if this provides any helpful info.  I let Alamy do my DACs and last year I received $200 and this year I got $250.  I have never done it myself so no clue if I would do better or worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Interesting -- and a bit confusing -- to see some people reporting higher payouts when letting Alamy do the work, despite the 50% cut.

 

Since we don't have the ISBN/ISSN info needed to file a full DACS claim now, is it time to turn the job over to Alamy? I've always filed myself.

 

Any thoughts on this?

 

I can't compare either as I have always let alamy do mine.  I think my amount went up because I've added more images and had more sales compared to previous years.

 

I'm trying to figure out the Canadian access copyright at the moment.  It looks like applications are open again.

 

Maria

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MariaJ said:

 

I can't compare either as I have always let alamy do mine.  I think my amount went up because I've added more images and had more sales compared to previous years.

 

I'm trying to figure out the Canadian access copyright at the moment.  It looks like applications are open again.

 

Maria

 

Good luck with Access Canada. I gave up. I should give it another try. Filing your own DACS claim is a dream in comparison, or at least it used to be.

 

 

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

John, not sure if this provides any helpful info.  I let Alamy do my DACs and last year I received $200 and this year I got $250.  I have never done it myself so no clue if I would do better or worse.

 

Thanks. It seems that those filing claims on their own are reporting drops in their payments this year, while contributors allowing Alamy to do the job are tending to see increases despite the big cut, which is not what you might expect. Obviously things have changed...

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Thanks. It seems that those filing claims on their own are reporting drops in their payments this year, while contributors allowing Alamy to do the job are tending to see increases despite the big cut, which is not what you might expect. Obviously things have changed...

 

- and taking your own time rate into consideration it's even more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Thanks. It seems that those filing claims on their own are reporting drops in their payments this year, while contributors allowing Alamy to do the job are tending to see increases despite the big cut, which is not what you might expect. Obviously things have changed...

 

I don't believe that that's correct. Some have seen decreases, some increases. My impression is that those on the higher or maxed-out levels have seen the biggest falls, while those on the lower levels and those who have gone up a rank (self included) have seen rises, whether claiming directly or via Alamy. 

 

I do my own submissions to DACS and saw my returns increase substantially this year. I think you'll find that many of the most recent posts to this thread by those who submit directly to DACS showed decent returns. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, losdemas said:

 

I don't believe that that's correct. Some have seen decreases, some increases. My impression is that those on the higher or maxed-out levels have seen the biggest falls, while those on the lower levels and those who have gone up a rank (self included) have seen rises, whether claiming directly or via Alamy. 

 

I do my own submissions to DACS and saw my returns increase substantially this year. I think you'll find that many of the most recent posts to this thread by those who submit directly to DACS showed decent returns. 

 

My concern is that with ISBNs and ISSNs becoming more important, filing the claim ourselves might become less of a good idea than it used to be since Alamy has that info (hopefully) and we don't, or at least I don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Difficult to make meaningful comparisons with so many variables, e.g. some contributors are Alamy only others not, different emphasis in collections  etc. etc.

 

However it might be useful if those who only contribute to Alamy provide their net DACs payment as a % of their total gross income since joining, and state whether they made their own claim or used Alamy for the purpose.

 

In my case  0.61%  and I had Alamy do it

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Difficult to make meaningful comparisons with so many variables, e.g. some contributors are Alamy only others not, different emphasis in collections  etc. etc.

 

However it might be useful if those who only contribute to Alamy provide their net DACs payment as a % of their total gross income since joining, and state whether they made their own claim or used Alamy for the purpose.

 

In my case  0.61%  and I had Alamy do it

 

 

For last year, 2.8%, self.

2016, 5%. That's down to a sharp increase in my gross, but not in DACS qualifying categories. I'm pretty sure Alamy can't identify many more uses than I can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, spacecadet said:

For last year, 2.8%, self.

2016, 5%. That's down to a sharp increase in my gross, but not in DACS qualifying categories. I'm pretty sure Alamy can't identify many more uses than I can.

Hi Mark

 

That's a very impressive return, I am getting nowhere near that figure!

 

 Could you please confirm that you are using your total gross income since starting with Alamy, and not your annual gross income?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did say that was for the particular years. I've only been claiming DACS for a few years so going back before that wouldn't mean much.

I don't care to do the arithmetic on every year, but it used to be even higher. Presumably it's because I'm at the low end of both revenue and DACS claims and there's a mimimum payout, although I get more than the minimum.

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.