Upgraded to Photoshop and Lightroom Package - Workflow?

9 minutes ago, John Walker said:

Sorry to be a pain but I'm still confused with Lightroom. On all the tutorial videos for Lightroom CC there is a menu bar across the top with Library I Develop I Map I Book I Slideshow etc.

I don't have this menu bar.   I've tried every option I can find including toggling F11 etc but no luck.   I am opening Lightroom from the icon on the task menu.

What am I doing wrong?

Press Shift+Ctrl+F (Windows) or Shift+Command+F (Mac OS) to enter Full Screen And Hide Panels mode, which hides the title barmenus, and panels. When in Full Screen And Hide Panels screen mode, press Shift-Tab and then the F key to display the panels and menu bar.

10 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

Press Shift+Ctrl+F (Windows) or Shift+Command+F (Mac OS) to enter Full Screen And Hide Panels mode, which hides the title barmenus, and panels. When in Full Screen And Hide Panels screen mode, press Shift-Tab and then the F key to display the panels and menu bar.

Thanks Steve

Those control keys work fine but the menu bar (Library I Develop I Map I Book I Slideshow etc)  still does not appear.

Just wondering if my Lightroom is not opening from the correct location perhaps.

John :(

14 minutes ago, John Walker said:

Thanks Steve

Those control keys work fine but the menu bar (Library I Develop I Map I Book I Slideshow etc)  still does not appear.

Just wondering if my Lightroom is not opening from the correct location perhaps.

I don't think it's that John. Try right-clicking in the space between the top of the main image and the task bar (file, edit, library, photo etc). You should get a list ofmodules to toggle on or off - Library, Develop, Map, Book...etc . Also, see if you have a tiny dotted triangle, in the middle of the screen below the taskbar. If so, click that to make it solid and it should show the modules menu.

25 minutes ago, John Walker said:

12 minutes ago, Steve Valentia said:

I don't think it's that John. Try right-clicking in the space between the top of the main image and the task bar (file, edit, library, photo etc). You should get a list ofmodules to toggle on or off - Library, Develop, Map, Book...etc . Also, see if you have a tiny dotted triangle, in the middle of the screen below the taskbar. If so, click that to make it solid and it should show the modules menu.

That's the solution. Lightroom Classic is installed on the computer, it's got nothing to do with location.

2 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

Could the inconsistency in the histogram be because LR is using ProPhoto RGB and perhaps PS is set to a default working colour space of AdobeRGB or the export (via PSD or TIFF) is using AdobeRGB? Changing from one colour space to the other seems to to alter the RGB histogram so that histogram based contrast and exposure adjustments using one or the other are inconsistent. You may want to take a look at this thread https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/10185-soft-proofing-on-or-off/?tab=comments#comment-182159. If both LR and PS are set to ProPhotoRGB I find things become more consistent, but then get messed up when you save to an AdobeRGB jpg for Alamy.

I'm no expert in this area, but I also see inconsistencies in the histograms between LR and PS if I don't set PS to use ProPhotoRGB and the export format to ProPhotoRGB. I'm now doing all my final adjustments in PS after RAW conversion with my colour space set to AdobeRGB since that's the format I want to end up with for Alamy. 

Mark

1 hour ago, Steve Valentia said:

I beg to differ; that all sounds like a very expert analysis to me. I'm using Pro Photo in LR and Adobe RGB (which I prefer, for some reason - another "quirk" perhaps) in PS. So that all fits very nicely with your theory and thank you for explaining it. :)

Sounds like Mark is correct there. The thing with Mark is that he thinks about everything very logically and rationalises everything. If I ever try to answer one of his questions I know I need to be on solid ground, have a bit of time on my hands to check things out throroughly and be prepared to change my mind in the light of his comments. 

If Mark is correct, the same effect should be evident if you use soft proofing with AdobeRGB as the destination space. This could be advantageous as it would allow you to make modifications on a proof copy and export from that rather than open in Photoshop. You would also be still working on the raw image so there could be better control over highlight and shadow detail. And if you are always making the same adjustment, you could create a simple preset. I do this for printing but not for regular post-processing although Mark has given me food for thought over a few recent threads. 

42 minutes ago, MDM said:

That's the solution. Lightroom Classic is installed on the computer, it's got nothing to do with location.

SORTED - I'M AN IDIOT  :D

I had unintentionally installed Lightroom CC which is the Cloud Based Version - very different interface and doesn't include the 'missing' menu.     Just installed Lightroom Classic and the menu is there and matches the tutorials I've been trying to follow.  Back to the tutorials now ....

Daft John :)

I did wonder if that might be what happened but I have never installed the new Lightroom CC so couldn’t be sure. I doubt you are the first person to do this and you are not an idiot. Adobe used the name of a previously existing program for something totally new which is potentially really confusing.

On 8/23/2018 at 11:49, John Walker said:

Before I get into bad habits with these two packages can I ask what 'work flow' other members use.

John

I have never used or even downloaded Lightroom even though it comes with my Adobe CC subscription.

For stock photography I use Adobe Bridge for selecting keepers, renaming files, adding tags/keywords, descriptions, location, contact info and copyright notice. I use Adobe Camera Raw to "develop" the RAW files using XMP sidecar files to keep the metadata and non-destructive edits. I then use Photoshop to export the RAW images into JPG files.

I use Imatch for my DAM needs.

11 hours ago, Steve Valentia said;

I beg to differ; that all sounds like a very expert analysis to me. I'm using Pro Photo in LR and Adobe RGB (which I prefer, for some reason - another "quirk" perhaps) in PS. So that all fits very nicely with your theory and thank you for explaining it.

10 hours ago, MDM said:

Sounds like Mark is correct there. The thing with Mark is that he thinks about everything very logically and rationalises everything. If I ever try to answer one of his questions I know I need to be on solid ground, have a bit of time on my hands to check things out throroughly and be prepared to change my mind in the light of his comments. 

Goodness I'm flattered guys. :)

10 hours ago, MDM said:

If Mark is correct...

Ah that could spoil it... ;)

Mark

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

If Mark is correct...

Ah that could spoil it... ;)

I learnt long ago that nothing is certain (Heisenberg ...) :). Actually it is more to do with my geological training where so much is about interpretation of how something was formed but you can't actually see it happening (the present is the key to the past....). I have no doubt you are correct in fact. 

Having had quite a few conversations with you over the years now, my words above are not intended as flattery at all - you do have a real independent mind. I was very impressed at how you found the solution yourself to those glacial striae - I had never heard of this particular phenomenon before where the striae are in multiple directions and it was really interesting. 

23 hours ago, John Walker said:

Thanks Steve

Hover over the black bit at the top where the arrow is pointing down, or click on it if you want it to stay.

On 24/08/2018 at 21:55, John Walker said:

Sorry to be a pain but I'm still confused with Lightroom. On all the tutorial videos for Lightroom CC there is a menu bar across the top with Library I Develop I Map I Book I Slideshow etc.

I don't have this menu bar.   I've tried every option I can find including toggling F11 etc but no luck.   I am opening Lightroom from the icon on the task menu.

What am I doing wrong?

Could you be confusing Lightroom classic CC and Lightroom CC?   If you are it would be entirely adobes fault - first, you had stand-alone Lightroom, then subscription Lightroom CC then they added a totally new iteration which they chose to call Lightroom CC while changing the name of the old Lightroom CC to Lightroom classic CC.  It took me a while to find out what was going on when I first subscribed - I actually tend to totally ignore Lightroom CC as that is one that is highly based on cloud storage and designed to work across multiple devices especially tablets and phones which makes it feel weird to me on a computer.  Lightroom classic is the one that is like the old Lightroom, works of local storage and which I use most.  It is important when looking up video tutorials that you specify classic or you end up with videos showing things looking totally different and tools you cant find

4 minutes ago, Starsphinx said:

Could you be confusing Lightroom classic CC and Lightroom CC?   If you are it would be entirely adobes fault - first, you had stand-alone Lightroom, then subscription Lightroom CC then they added a totally new iteration which they chose to call Lightroom CC while changing the name of the old Lightroom CC to Lightroom classic CC.  It took me a while to find out what was going on when I first subscribed - I actually tend to totally ignore Lightroom CC as that is one that is highly based on cloud storage and designed to work across multiple devices especially tablets and phones which makes it feel weird to me on a computer.  Lightroom classic is the one that is like the old Lightroom, works of local storage and which I use most.  It is important when looking up video tutorials that you specify classic or you end up with videos showing things looking totally different and tools you cant find

That is what is happening and it was resolved by 23.28 on Friday night :lol:.

And as you say Adobe have a lot to answer for renaming an existing program as a new one which is very significantly different. Illogical to say the least.

On 24/08/2018 at 23:28, John Walker said:

SORTED - I'M AN IDIOT  :D

I had unintentionally installed Lightroom CC which is the Cloud Based Version - very different interface and doesn't include the 'missing' menu.     Just installed Lightroom Classic and the menu is there and matches the tutorials I've been trying to follow.  Back to the tutorials now ....

Daft John :)

On 24/08/2018 at 23:54, MDM said:

I did wonder if that might be what happened but I have never installed the new Lightroom CC so couldn’t be sure. I doubt you are the first person to do this and you are not an idiot. Adobe used the name of a previously existing program for something totally new which is potentially really confusing.

4 hours ago, MDM said:

That is what is happening and it was resolved by 23.28 on Friday night :lol:.

And as you say Adobe have a lot to answer for renaming an existing program as a new one which is very significantly different. Illogical to say the least.

Sorry that's me half asleep on a Sunday morning - I thought your post was the last post not the last on the page post.

This thread had been very enlightening and has helped me get started.  I can already see advantages using Lightroom and then Photoshop.  All very new to me after 10 years of using Elements.
I would really like to open my RAW files straight into Lightroom without all the selection system Lightroom uses with images.  Can I just open an image directly in Lightroom?

37 minutes ago, John Walker said:

I would really like to open my RAW files straight into Lightroom without all the selection system Lightroom uses with images.  Can I just open an image directly in Lightroom?

Lightroom does not work directly on the image file, as PS does. It uses what I call a "reflection" (others may have a more technical term for it), of the image file and over-writes the changes you make onto it, in a non-destructive way, not unlike when using a layer in PS, or perhaps an acetate in old-fashioned animation.

This has certain consequences:

1. You need to import the files into the LR catalogue.

2. If you move the files from where you installed them on your hard drive, you need to locate them in LR (and tell it the new location) before it can work on them again.

3. if you delete the files from your HD, you won't be able to work on them at all.

4. If you look for the original file on your HD, after making changes to them in LR, you won't see the changes you made.

5. In order to see the changes, you need to export the image as another file and save it on your HD. This has a number of advantages for the working photographer: Mainly that you can save the changed file in several different forms and formats (for Alamy, magazines, newspapers, emails, Facebook, printing etc, etc) with a couple of clicks of the mouse, having set up export presets in LR.

John the LR catalogue is NOT a catalogue as we know catalogues.

LR just uses pointers to where you have your images loaded on your computer.

Allan

Shorter version of what Steve said above.

2 hours ago, John Walker said:

This thread had been very enlightening and has helped me get started.  I can already see advantages using Lightroom and then Photoshop.  All very new to me after 10 years of using Elements.

Lightroom uses a different perspective to the traditional approach and it is really worth getting one’s head around as it functions as a very fast database as well as a raw file converter. The database function  is the reason for importing the files and it makes it really fast to find images later using various search criteria. Also it allows you to organise images to perform various editing tasks on multiple files for raw conversion. 

You  don’t have to use Lightroom with your subscription. You could just use ACR as you have been in Elements with or without Bridge which is an alternative for organising files. However, Bridge is far less efficient as a database than Lightroom especially if you have a lot of images and the whole layout in conjunction with ACR is clunky in comparison with Lightroom. I don’t recommend it but it is an alternative. 

What I would recommend is to take an organised approach to learning Lightroom. The Scott Kelby books are worth investigating in this regard. 

Edit: A key point as Steve and Allen have referred to is that the Lightroom catalog does not actually contain the images so, if you copy the catalog say to back it up,  you are not copying the images - only the information (the metadata in fact). This is typical database behaviour and allows Lightroom to function very effectively and efficiently. In contrast, Bridge is a file browser with limited database functions and far less efficient than Lightroom at keeping tabs on metadata. The metadata is the key to it all in fact as this is what is used for all editing in Lightroom which is why it is non-destructive. The pixels are not touched until you edit in Photoshop. 

2 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

Sorry that's me half asleep on a Sunday morning - I thought your post was the last post not the last on the page post.

An easy thing to do and you weren’t the first as Col Blimp had also missed it 😊. 

On 24/08/2018 at 18:41, Colblimp said:

I import into LR, do everything in there, export as a jpeg, save the jpeg and RAW originals and I'm done.  LR is really all you need, IMO, of course.

So far, I agree, though without ever having used PS, it’s impossible to know what I’m missing. I thought I didn’t need LR until I got it and learned to use it. This has been an interesting thread. I’m somewhat confused about the saving of jpegs, though. I never save them routinely as I figured I can always export again if I need to. So is there another point in keeping them and filling up hard drive space? I can see the point in doing so if an image has been worked on in PS which alters the image forever.

23 minutes ago, Sally said:

So far, I agree, though without ever having used PS, it’s impossible to know what I’m missing. I thought I didn’t need LR until I got it and learned to use it. This has been an interesting thread. I’m somewhat confused about the saving of jpegs, though. I never save them routinely as I figured I can always export again if I need to. So is there another point in keeping them and filling up hard drive space? I can see the point in doing so if an image has been worked on in PS which alters the image forever.

Storage space is cheap and as such I always save the RAW file and PS "worked on" TIFF. The jpeg is only used for uploading and then discarded as it's merely a product of the TIFF file.

1 hour ago, Sally said:

I always save the RAW files on an external and do the same with processed jpegs.  I don't work in TIFF.

I save the jpegs beside the Raw to easily see what’s been done. I also add -AL to the file number to indicate that it is one I chose to upload. 

Maybe not necessary, but a way for me to see, when I open an old folder, to know what has been used. If I decide to work on another RAW, from that folder, I know this one is to be ignored.

As everyone says, storage is cheap. I never go back and work on the Tiffs. That idea has no fault, but why save a Tiff I’ll never work on again? For that very rare time I might want to address the image again, I’ll just reopen the RAW. 

It is interesting to note how we all have ways that we prefer and just works for us. 

Nobody’s way is the wrong way, just a different way...just as we all have different personalities.

Also like you can sit two parents down and in the discussion, each finds the other has an opposite way of child-rearing. 

Betty

Archived