Time stands still for no man as they say so after many years of sticking with my camera's proprietary software it seems that I'm going to be upgrading PC and purchasing Lightroom 6 to drag this luddite into the 21st century. I do have photoshop elements 12 so I'm not going the cloud route. My question is where to buy it from.  Amazon seem to be a good bit more expensive than from Adobe so is £113 the best price going or are there cheaper places out there? Just asking on the off chance. Ta!

If you see it any cheaper then it is very likely to be a dodgy purchase. You can't run it without registering it with Adobe so you need a legit copy. There might be a legit user somehwere who is selling their copy but they have to do an official transfer of the license as far as I know.

3 minutes ago, MDM said:

If you see it any cheaper then it is very likely to be a dodgy purchase. You can't run it without registering it with Adobe so you need a legit copy. There might be a legit user somehwere who is selling their copy but they have to do an official transfer of the license as far as I know.

OK, thanks.

59 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

Time stands still for no man as they say so after many years of sticking with my camera's proprietary software it seems that I'm going to be upgrading PC and purchasing Lightroom 6 to drag this luddite into the 21st century. I do have photoshop elements 12 so I'm not going the cloud route. My question is where to buy it from.  Amazon seem to be a good bit more expensive than from Adobe so is £113 the best price going or are there cheaper places out there? Just asking on the off chance. Ta!

I went the full CC route. There was a discount (don't know if you can still get it) for 12 months from a Canon user site. I didn't have to provide any proof I was using Canons, although I was, and that was £6.98 for 12 months. Even if you paid full whack, which I am now, that's only £9.98, so you could get the 'all singing all dancing' PS, LR, Bridge, & camera raw for 14 months for the price of just LR.

John.

1 hour ago, aphperspective said:

You could go the subscription route Just over 12 Euro a month gets you the latest editions of PS, LR, plus LR classic, Bridge, all with constant updates. 

Just a thought.

Andy.

That's the sub I have - bargain.

Subscription is right for many but not for me. 12 Euro a month soon adds up and I don't make enough from photography to justify the outlay.

I bought stand alone versions of LR, ignoring every other release and updating periodically, and that was a deal cheaper than the subscription. OK I don't have the latest version of PS, but I have a very good raw converter in LR and my aged version of PS does what I need. The future does look a bit bleak as they are no longer releasing new standalone versions, I may be forced to ditch Adobe in favour of someone else if I ever buy a new, unsupported, camera. However, even in that circumstance, there are workarounds to explore.

5 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Subscription is right for many but not for me. 12 Euro a month soon adds up and I don't make enough from photography to justify the outlay.

I bought stand alone versions of LR, ignoring every other release and updating periodically, and that was a deal cheaper than the subscription. OK I don't have the latest version of PS, but I have a very good raw converter in LR and my aged version of PS does what I need. The future does look a bit bleak as they are no longer releasing new standalone versions, I may be forced to ditch Adobe in favour of someone else if I ever buy a new, unsupported, camera. However, even in that circumstance, there are workarounds to explore.

This is the way I see it too. I only do a little to images and don't need half the features a suite of programs would offer with CC. In fact it may take some time just to learn lightroom and it should keep me occupied for a while. I don't earn much from stock to justify a monthly outlay. Don't forget I already have elements too. I just need the best price for stand alone Lightroom. Thanks everyone. 

That price for stand alone Lightroom seems about right. Don’t think you’ll get it cheaper. I’ve had it for nearly two years, and so far have avoided the monthly subscription, but not sure how much longer I will manage that.

I don't use it for much...minor tweaks....I will learn it one day...one of the few little things I grant myself...much cheaper then a coffee habit in this town.

I have a pristine disc of Lightroom 5 you can have for nowt if you let me have your address - My guess is that it will receive the updates for Lightroom 5, but not 6, so MAY not operate with all the recent Nikon cameras

Kumar

I have both the disc and CC versions because a year after buying LR I decided I needed to upgrade PS.

The main difference between the two LR versions as far as I know is the dehaze slider.

I could be happy with an older version of PS, say CS 5 or so, but would hate to do without the dehaze feature of LR.

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

I have a pristine disc of Lightroom 5 you can have for nowt if you let me have your address - My guess is that it will receive the updates for Lightroom 5, but not 6, so MAY not operate with all the recent Nikon cameras

Kumar

It won't update past whatever version od ACR was available for the last LR5 update so that is a few years back now. The workaround is to run the raws through the DNG converter but you miss out on any of the new developments in later versions of LR of which there are many. Of course that also applies going from the perpetual version to the subscription version which has left the former way behind in many respects. 

Kumar - when you say pristine I presume you have ever registered it. If you have, then I think you have to formally transfer the license through Adobe.

7 minutes ago, DDoug said:

I have both the disc and CC versions because a year after buying LR I decided I needed to upgrade PS.

The main difference between the two LR versions as far as I know is the dehaze slider.

I could be happy with an older version of PS, say CS 5 or so, but would hate to do without the dehaze feature of LR.

There are a lot more differences than the dehaze slider. Speed for one thing as well as quite a range of other features.

10 minutes ago, MDM said:

It won't update past whatever version od ACR was available for the last LR5 update so that is a few years back now. The workaround is to run the raws through the DNG converter but you miss out on any of the new developments in later versions of LR of which there are many. Of course that also applies going from the perpetual version to the subscription version which has left the former way behind in many respects. 

Kumar - when you say pristine I presume you have ever registered it. If you have, then I think you have to formally transfer the license through Adobe.

Mick, I did register and use it for a while - happy to try and transfer the licence if Sultanpepa wants it!

Kumar

I use and do everything i need within the standalone LR6 version. And even then it's more than i require, less is more plus i don’t know my ass from my elbow on PS.

I paid about £100 and downloaded direct from Adobe. No problems. 

1 hour ago, DDoug said:

But you can add a plugin called Prolost which is free and does dehaze brilliantly. I appreciate that there are other features that the CC version has, but am yet to be persuaded to take out a monthly subscription. Main advantage it would seem would be getting Photoshop in addition.....then a lot more skills to learn.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Mick, I did register and use it for a while - happy to try and transfer the licence if Sultanpepa wants it!

Kumar

Kumar - see this page for info about transferring Adobe licenses. It is pretty current so I presume it applies to Lightroom.

18 minutes ago, Sally said:

But you can add a plugin called Prolost which is free and does dehaze brilliantly. I appreciate that there are other features that the CC version has, but am yet to be persuaded to take out a monthly subscription. Main advantage it would seem would be getting Photoshop in addition.....then a lot more skills to learn.

I did download the Prolost plugin during the year before I opted for the CC version. It worked, although not as well as the slider in my opinion.

I'd have left well enough alone if I hadn't needed to upgrade Photoshop.

I understand not wanting to go the subscription route.  Yet, I would hate to see anyone pay the money for a stand-alone, then in a year or two, get a new camera and end up having to go the subscription route anyway.  

Wasted outlay that would have been better used. Plus all the time spent searching for free software that would convert the new camera’s RAW output, trying it, rejecting it, moving on, etc.

My stomach clinches just thing about doing that! :)

Betty

41 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I understand not wanting to go the subscription route.  Yet, I would hate to see anyone pay the money for a stand-alone, then in a year or two, get a new camera and end up having to go the subscription route anyway.  

Wasted outlay that would have been better used. Plus all the time spent searching for free software that would convert the new camera’s RAW output, trying it, rejecting it, moving on, etc.

My stomach clinches just thing about doing that! :)

Betty

True, though it depends how much use you get out of it before having to switch to a CC subscription.  I figured that even if I got a year's use It would still cost me less than a year's subscription.  As it is it, it will be about half the price if I use it for two years.

I have gone the subscription route for the past 2 years and have no problems, I figure that the first image sale per month on Alamy will cover the cost of the subscription.

Archived