Sales versus actual profit

6 minutes ago, lisah2006 said:

hello. I am curious if anyone can explain to me what it means when you have a certain amount in sales but it says you are owed a smaller amount? why is that number so different? Thank you.

The higher amount is the gross amount.

We get 50% of that if the sale was directly via Alamy, and 30% of that if via a distributor (if you're opted in to the distribution scheme)

Or do you mean "sales this month" (which is posted gross) vs "Current cleared balance"? If so, the current cleared balance is for files which have actually been paid for, which can be anything up to or over six months since being reported (though at the moment, I have all my notified sales up til 16h May paid. You can see which files have been paid and which haven't in the Account Balance tab.

But I seem to have forgotten what the difference between 'cleared' (O) and 'uncleared' (X) is, when neither of these seem to have been 'paid'. Who can remind me?

25 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

The higher amount is the gross amount.

We get 50% of that if the sale was directly via Alamy, and 30% of that if via a distributor (if you're opted in to the distribution scheme)

Or do you mean "sales this month" (which is posted gross) vs "Current cleared balance"? If so, the current cleared balance is for files which have actually been paid for, which can be anything up to or over six months since being reported (though at the moment, I have all my notified sales up til 16h May paid. You can see which files have been paid and which haven't in the Account Balance tab.

But I seem to have forgotten what the difference between 'cleared' (O) and 'uncleared' (X) is, when neither of these seem to have been 'paid'. Who can remind me?

I'm curious about the 'cleared' and 'uncleared' amounts. for example, say it says $58 sales but then it says $8 cleared, or something like that (I'm not looking at the screen where it is at the moment). 

5 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

The (X) is uncleared as you said i.e invoiced but not paid and the (0) is cleared in this month i.e. the total of paid invoices this month and this or these added together are the figure which is shown as cleared funds. When it reach $50 or more a date will appear which indicates when these funds will be paid to you by Alamy although depending on payment method it will be a few days after that date before the payment reaches your bank account.

4 minutes ago, lisah2006 said:

Weird..how they can buy something without paying? And the one has been like that for three months :(

You may be used to microstock. Traditional stock photography has always worked this way. The client is invoiced and payment then has to be dealt with by the publisher's accounting department, which can take up to 90 days (or even longer). 

2 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

You may be used to microstock. Traditional stock photography has always worked this way. The client is invoiced and payment then has to be dealt with by the publisher's accounting department, which can take up to 90 days (or even longer). 

But they get to use my photo and not actually pay for that use?

5 minutes ago, lisah2006 said:

But they get to use my photo and not actually pay for that use?

Not really. They are not paying immediately. Ultimately, the higher fees outweigh the annoyance of having to wait, don't you think?

In any case,  Alamy do announce licenses immediately, whereas other agencies only let you know once they have received payment. 

Looking at my Xs and Os (paid, unpaid) seems very clear to me.....now.

But I remember when I first started out it was a muddle for me, too.  Cheer up, you’ll get used to it! Time heals all wounds. ;) And eventually makes connections with the brain cells. 

Betty

6 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Looking at my Xs and Os (paid, unpaid) seems very clear to me.....now.

But I remember when I first started out it was a muddle for me, too.  Cheer up, you’ll get used to it! Time heals all wounds. ;) And eventually makes connections with the brain cells. 

Betty

Afraid my brain cells aren't connected up, yet I'm sure I knew and understood this years ago.

Here's a section of my account balance:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uz1x8p34u2ydp1l/X-O-Date.jpg?dl=0

The Xs haven't been paid yet

The ones with a date have been paid.

But what are the Os? (i.e. "cleared" means ...?)

9 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Afraid my brain cells aren't connected up, yet I'm sure I knew and understood this years ago.

Here's a section of my account balance:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uz1x8p34u2ydp1l/X-O-Date.jpg?dl=0

The Xs haven't been paid yet

The ones with a date have been paid.

But what are the Os? (i.e. "cleared" means ...?)

O means outstanding, they haven't received the money from the buyer yet for the sale. Paid is when paid to you.

4 minutes ago, MandyD said:

O means outstanding, they haven't received the money from the buyer yet for the sale. Paid is when paid to you.

Sorry, I'm being exceptionally dim, apparently, but how does 'outstanding' differ from 'unpaid'?

Does O mean the buyer has paid Alamy, but Alamy haven't put it into my account yet?

12 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Sorry, I'm being exceptionally dim, apparently, but how does 'outstanding' differ from 'unpaid'?

Does O mean the buyer has paid Alamy, but Alamy haven't put it into my account yet?

O means the buyer hasn't paid....so that's Alamy and the buyer.....the Paid refers to you and Alamy. Once you see the O, and you reach the minimum, then you get the Paid to you.

3 minutes ago, MandyD said:

O means the buyer hasn't paid....so that's Alamy and the buyer.....the Paid refers to you and Alamy. Once you see the O, and you reach the minimum, then you get the Paid to you.

Oh, thanks, the penny has dropped. At last.

Paid means 'paid out'!!!

Where was I when memory was given out?

2 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Oh, thanks, the penny has dropped. At last.

Paid means 'paid out'!!!

Where was I when memory was given out?

no worries, I have too much for both of us..it's not necessarily a good thing. :mellow::)

0 means that Alamy has received the payment but it hasn't been paid to you yet because your account hasn't reached the required amount or the pay date has not come up. Paid means you have been paid.

Paulette

I think this page could be designed in a way that makes it easier to understand for all. C’mon, Alamy, you’ve done AIM, now it’s time for a redesign of the Account Balance page.

Maybe instead of having everything in one column, have two. Paid and Unpaid. It would make it easier for us to look at the dates to inquire about sales made many months ago that are still unpaid. Not that I know what I’m talking about since charts and graphs or lists aren’t my forte!

That said, if the whole page isn’t redesigned, I’d do away with the 0 and X, which to this day I always have to figure out anew which means what, and use P for Paid and U for Unpaid. Sometimes the simplest way is the best way.

Betty

• 1 month later...
On 7/17/2018 at 15:58, MandyD said:

Then why are they using our photos if they haven't paid yet? So what if they never pay and they are using the photo anyhow. That's a pretty crap move considering I logged in today for the first time in two months to find I'm owed over $600 but cleared payment is $21

On 7/17/2018 at 13:39, losdemas said:

Not really. They are not paying immediately. Ultimately, the higher fees outweigh the annoyance of having to wait, don't you think?

In any case,  Alamy do announce licenses immediately, whereas other agencies only let you know once they have received payment. 

Not really or they are really  using the photo and haven't paid? I don't know either....I understand what you are saying here, but I mean I just want to know if my photos are being used without payment. I sent alamy a question directly so I can find out. 

Archived