Is reporting of zooms broken yet again?

One thing I have noticed is that my images are very slowly climbing in ranking. I have a search I do as a check and over the last few weeks, since I started uploading almost every day (mostly news), my first image has moved up about half a page,

My photography was in the doldrums so at the beginnning of September I relaunched my photography as a new start up and:

• rationalised my pseudonyms - almost all my old stuff went into a single pseudonym and my most successful images stayed in their own and I also added some more diligently edited summer stuff to it.
  • I created completely new pseudonyms for travel, sport and my more general news and stock
  • All my pseudonyms were close in the middle of the same page on my test search at the start of September
  • The first image from my "best" pseudonyms has moved up almost half a page and is now the sixth image, other pseudonyms have also risen.
That is despite apparently declining views, negligible zooms and no sales in the last six weeks accordong to Measures. I am cautiously optimistic that diligence might pay. As far as I am aware there has not been a rerank so I am assuming it is down to being more active and conscientious but that will have to be tested over the next few poeriods. There may be hope of climbing out of the slough of despond :) I was close to giving up, mind you it still has to convert to better sales.

One thing I have noticed is that my images are very slowly climbing in ranking. I have a search I do as a check and over the last few weeks, since I started uploading almost every day (mostly news), my first image has moved up about half a page,

My photography was in the doldrums so at the beginnning of September I relaunched my photography as a new start up and:

• rationalised my pseudonyms - almost all my old stuff went into a single pseudonym and my most successful images stayed in their own and I also added some more diligently edited summer stuff to it.
  • I created completely new pseudonyms for travel, sport and my more general news and stock
  • All my pseudonyms were close in the middle of the same page on my test search at the start of September
  • The first image from my "best" pseudonyms has moved up almost half a page and is now the sixth image, other pseudonyms have also risen.
That is despite apparently declining views, negligible zooms and no sales in the last six weeks accordong to Measures. I am cautiously optimistic that diligence might pay. As far as I am aware there has not been a rerank so I am assuming it is down to being more active and conscientious but that will have to be tested over the next few poeriods. There may be hope of climbing out of the slough of despond :) I was close to giving up, mind you it still has to convert to better sales.

Definitely rank increases with greater and more frequent activity ie uploading each and very week

Not sure that rank increases with frequency of upload, rather it is success with zooms and sales. Of course the two may go together. I suspect, but don't know, that income may also play a part. Certainly if I were designing the algorithm, it would. Then there are those searches that home in on a particular image by code, surely worth more than a zoom in the rating game?

Similar here, 60 - 30 and for the last few weeks it has ben dropping like a stone and zero for the last week or more. But fear not, we are all imagining it and there is nothing wrong..... they've looked at a lot of data  :D

Someone obviously felt hurt by my comment (even with the smilie) and chucked a red my way.... I wonder who?

Not sure that rank increases with frequency of upload, rather it is success with zooms and sales. Of course the two may go together. I suspect, but don't know, that income may also play a part. Certainly if I were designing the algorithm, it would. Then there are those searches that home in on a particular image by code, surely worth more than a zoom in the rating game?

Well views, zooms and sales can't really be the contributor to my slow rise ;) I would have agreed with you previously but now I am not sure.

Similar here, 60 - 30 and for the last few weeks it has ben dropping like a stone and zero for the last week or more. But fear not, we are all imagining it and there is nothing wrong..... they've looked at a lot of data  :D

Someone obviously felt hurt by my comment (even with the smilie) and chucked a red my way.... I wonder who?

Have a compensating greenie from me!

Have a compensating greenie from me!

Cheers Martin.... and others  :)

Those are some very fancy dance steps, Martin. Me? I take the Drag-My-Feet-Do-Nothing approach. Everything is under one name, there is almost no analysis of what's happening . . . and I take a half-hour nap everyday. (I like to call it a siesta, more charming and culturally attractive.) The big change I might consider is moving to Wales and getting some of Keith's overflow. He would still work his butt off, of course, and I would extend my siesta to 45 minutes.  :wacko:

Those are some very fancy dance steps, Martin. Me? I take the Drag-My-Feet-Do-Nothing approach. Everything is under one name, there is almost no analysis of what's happening . . . and I take a half-hour nap everyday. (I like to call it a siesta, more charming and culturally attractive.) The big change I might consider is moving to Wales and getting some of Keith's overflow. He would still work his butt off, of course, and I would extend my siesta to 45 minutes.  :wacko:

I had Bill Owens (Suburbia etc.) come as a guest speaker at the university I taught at once. He asked me to drive him around Wales a bit to see stuff. In the car he said "Do you ever power-nap Pete?" I said no and he said "I do it all the time, watch". In an instant he went spark out in the passenger seat. We drove on for about 20 minutes and I was getting worried as he was really out. I could see the headlines in the BJP "Bill Owens dies in Pete Davis's car". In an instant then he was awake again and fresh as a daisy. Never appealed to me, nap, power nap or siesta but it takes all kinds and if it does you good it is good. Come to Wales and you can carry my heavy Gitzo tripod and 10"x 8" gear if you like! (Power naps allowed). 

I still see no sign that this is being addressed.

From September 23rd to today my stats are:

Total Views: 4178

Total Zooms: 1

Average CTR: 0.01

Prior to that I was getting 30 to 40 zooms per month.

This is going to obliterate my rank.

Same story here - usually have good number of zooms but have disappeared in last weeks.

I have had an ongoing conversation with Ms about it who yesterday said "we've made a lot of changes and we are looking at the effect on activity" and "we are doing further investigations but there's no need to panic".

I asked for an explanation of the changes but of course received no answer - there is certainly something they are avoiding telling us.

Member services are prone to using canned responses instead of showing any real interest in resolving the problem reported to them.

If the first canned response doesn't get rid of me they dig out another one in their next response.

Zooms are still being reported, I'm down about 25% on the month but yesterday 4 added. The new layout probably isn't reporting zooms as much as previous iterations of the search but that would be the same for everybody over time.

Member services are prone to using canned responses instead of showing any real interest in resolving the problem reported to them.

If the first canned response doesn't get rid of me they dig out another one in their next response.

Thankfully for me, whenever I've contacted MS (or Alamy in general for that matter) I've received excellent service . . . if I believed what you obviously believe (as above, and I don't), I'd be out of here faster than you could write another complaint.

dd

Am sure MS work hard to do a good job  - but their responses often don't answer the question - just skirt around it. There is definitely a feeling that they are only saying what they are allowed to. They do respond quickly in general and basic issues get fixed but on issues such as this about zooms - you just feel fobbed off without a full answer.

They really should be doing regression testing before they put any changes live.

I've had 0 zooms so far this month.

There was a search yesterday on my name. I share the name with an Ice Hockey player and a few others so that could have been the reason but I only got 58 views...

They really should be doing regression testing before they put any changes live.

I've had 0 zooms so far this month.

There was a search yesterday on my name. I share the name with an Ice Hockey player and a few others so that could have been the reason but I only got 58 views...

I've had no zooms since the changes  :( Plenty of views but no zooms. I was beginning to think sales had dried up too, but then one popped up today. :)

Archived