New zoom layout has destroyed measures!

It would seem that the new zoom layout has meant that no measures data for zooms is being recorded. I'd normally expect to get about 30 zooms per day but yesterday got only 2 - and both of those were for images that had sold. I presume others are seeing the same thing?

Ian D

It would seem that the new zoom layout has meant that no measures data for zooms is being recorded. I'd normally expect to get about 30 zooms per day but yesterday got only 2 - and both of those were for images that had sold. I presume others are seeing the same thing?

Ian D

But you seem to have no images????

Paulette

Just put Ian Dagnall in the Contributor name field in Advanced Search.

wim

Thanks. I just like to look at the portfolios that do well. I can see why. He has lots of variety. Almost no similars and the few similars are a different viewpoint or orientation. I think Alamy has made our work public so we can learn from each other. Of course, I am totally focused on those wild animals so not likely to compete with the people I consider "real" stock photographers.

Paulette

wim

Thanks. I just like to look at the portfolios that do well. I can see why. He has lots of variety. Almost no similars and the few similars are a different viewpoint or orientation. I think Alamy has made our work public so we can learn from each other. Of course, I am totally focused on those wild animals so not likely to compete with the people I consider "real" stock photographers.

Paulette

Thanks, Wim!

Paulette, I seem to recall we've had this exact same discussion before and you subsequently pointed out a faulty link on my (rather outdated) website?

I don't use my main account for the forum because I have very good reasons for not wanting to make public some of my pseudonyms - both for commercial reasons and because I've got some of my best sellers in them!

Ian D

Not much better this morning ....

Kumar

Agreed, Kumar. A little better than yesterday but still way down on what it should be. Looking at the "Total Zooms" column, there also appears to be far more 0's than normal.

Ian D

wim

Paulette

Thanks, Wim!

Paulette, I seem to recall we've had this exact same discussion before and you subsequently pointed out a faulty link on my (rather outdated) website?

I don't use my main account for the forum because I have very good reasons for not wanting to make public some of my pseudonyms - both for commercial reasons and because I've got some of my best sellers in them!

Ian D

Ooopps. So I guess it's not just my short term memory that is going.

Paulette

I have a theory on why our zooms may be down. It is harder now to go on from a zoom. You used to be able to see other images and move on easily. Now the zoom is an entire page and you must go back -- unless there is an easy way I don't see. My views are way down but I have such a small portfolio I hesitate to say that it means something. One thing I noticed is that words I had in the Caption but not in keywords (Latin names for animals) did not appear in the list of keywords in the zoom. Perhaps the Caption is no longer searchable. We could sure use input from Alamy about all this. I've sent another email to Rehana about the quotation marks.

Paulette

Edit: I found at least one of my images that has the Latin name in the Caption but not the Keywords and is searchable so I suspect nothing has changed really in terms of how we keyword our images.

Since it's now a week since the new zoom layout was introduced, I've done a quick bit of analysis on the All of Alamy figures.

For the week 24th September to 30th September, there were 6,701,709 views and 16,294 zooms, giving a CTR of 0.24%

For the week 17th September to 23rd September, there were 7,698,179 views and 30,057 zooms, gving a CTR of 0.39%

In an email I got from Alamy last week, they admitted there was a problem which they were aware of and had rectified. However, the figures still show a substantial drop in zooms since the introduction of the new layout and, speaking for myself, I'm still seeing figures considerably lower than before the change.

Ian D

If I were a buyer the new zooms would drive me crazy because it's no longer very easy to move on after zooming. I wonder if this is going to be changed or if buyers will be more and more just relying on the mouseover zooms.

Paulette

If I were a buyer the new zooms would drive me crazy because it's no longer very easy to move on after zooming. I wonder if this is going to be changed or if buyers will be more and more just relying on the mouseover zooms.

Paulette

Yes I agree.

k

Since it's now a week since the new zoom layout was introduced, I've done a quick bit of analysis on the All of Alamy figures.

For the week 24th September to 30th September, there were 6,701,709 views and 16,294 zooms, giving a CTR of 0.24%

For the week 17th September to 23rd September, there were 7,698,179 views and 30,057 zooms, gving a CTR of 0.39%

In an email I got from Alamy last week, they admitted there was a problem which they were aware of and had rectified. However, the figures still show a substantial drop in zooms since the introduction of the new layout and, speaking for myself, I'm still seeing figures considerably lower than before the change.

Ian D

Further to my earlier analysis, I noticed that not only were my zooms down again yesterday but views and the number of searches were also substantially less than normal. I looked at All of Alamy for 1st October and the same thing was reflected there. To see how big the problem was, I took 2 Wednesdays prior to the new layout (10th September and 17th September) and compared them to yesterday. The results were quite conclusive. Number of Searches (UCOs) were down 27% and 32% respectively, Views were down 30% and 37% and Zooms were down 45% over both days.

I think there might be something to Pauline's point about possible frustration with the zoom no longer opening in a new window - as buyers will have become accustomed to just closing this when they've looked at it. I've found myself doing exactly that and then having to start a new search because I've lost the original search results. If the figures are accurate (and it's a big if!), then not only are zooms being lost but customers are doing fewer searches and viewing fewer images.

It's a rather worrying development and I hope Alamy have got their heads round it!

Ian D

Archived