Month of Aug from 4 agencies and i have over 10,000 images out there - lots of sales but a grand total of about $50 - I used to make over $2500 a month - I think i'm done; i just can't get motivated to shoot, upload and keyword anymore. Sad because this was going to be a retirement business; i guess i'll pursue golf and get out more and just look at stuff. Sorry for the rant.

I feel your pain.  Started in 2005 and here I am.  I've licensed one image at Alamy since 8 March....net is $12.50.

I stopped shooting for the micros because of the shenanigans of the agencies.  I submit to various other "traditional" agencies.

It is what it is.  I have 19 years to retirement and I have similar aspirations.  I made a comment to a friend a few days ago privately who suggested I might go back to the mircros....I'll share it here....

We are all small fish in an overpopulated pond and our growth has been stunted….the only way that we are going to grow is if someone adds a predator to the pond that starts swallowing up the little fish.  The best way to do that is to keep shooting and outlast everyone else.  The barrier to entry needs to be high.  That barrier currently is a larger portfolio.  The best strategy, from the way I see it, is to specialize and to keep shooting.  I’ve decided I am going to continue with the reportage/editorial shooting and I’m going to continue with my portrait work.

I stopped shooting in 2008 being frustrated at what was developing.  I started again in 2012 because I couldn't keep away.  For me, this is a calling - even if it means abandoning the agents that take advantage of me and settling for other means like marketing my work on my own.

In the "How was your August" thread I said "Average month with 36 sales but generally poor prices so not very encouraging. Hoping sales will pickup when summer hols are over."

My first sale in September was a nice 4 figure sum - extremely encouraging.

Never give up.

Pearl

Never give up.

Pearl

My last sale was a 4 figure sum as well: $ 31.40

Aside from the fulltime pros who haven't got the option to give up, I think the advice to never give up is fine as long as one is actually enjoying one's photography. It may sound a bit simplistic but for me I really do get real fulfillment from photography (emotional and intellectual) and that is why I do it.

It doesn't matter what type of photography you are doing as long as it's enjoyable to whatever degree. If it's not, then it probably is time to give up - and this probably applies to the fulltimers as well - there is nothing so soul-destroying as doing a job you can't stand.

In the "How was your August" thread I said "Average month with 36 sales but generally poor prices so not very encouraging. Hoping sales will pickup when summer hols are over."

Never give up.

Pearl

Wow, this was encouraging. A 4 figure sum is pretty inspiring for those of us (well, atleast me) who don't have many images up there and are trying to get inspired to post more.

Currently am in QC queue for more than 2 days, so there is a sinking feeling.

One of my agencies has been selling a lot of mine for like 12-36 cents each; i am unsure what for and i can't get a good answer except for things like cell phone images so they say. Anyway when i used to travel somewhere i would stay over an extra night or 2 to do stock shots; now i can't justify the extra hotel and meal bills as i'll never recoup my expenses. Killed my retirement travel plans. Used to be able to recoup expenses in maybe 6 months

There are a lot of reasons but you see some of them on here where people say 'at least it's better than nothing'

Used to be maybe ' at least $100 is better than nothing', now it's 'at least $6 is better than nothing', soon to be 'at least 2 cents is better than nothing'...

It's the "something is better than nothing" mentality killing this business. If you submit to micros, opt in NU and Newspaper scheme, you are not just hurting yourself, you are hurting everybody. But that is your choice. Sorry, you knew what you're getting in, so don't complain the lousy license fees.

I for one, rather not selling than insulted by Daily mail for a paltry $5.95. <_<

How did we photographers allow this to happen? 

By embracing royalty free and then microstock. But that's only part of the story. The ease of production and distribution brought about by by the digital age changed everything by creating a culture of middlemen and eager suppliers. Now, even those of us who kept our RM flags flying high have been sucked into the downward spiral. The bell has tolled.

I feel that people blame the new digital revolution too easily. Yes it has opened the market to huge numbers of new photos and Photography has probably become far less elitist than it ever deserved to be anyway. However that should not have had the negative effect it has had on prices. At the end of the day If we were paid an hourly rate for the work done just processing raw files, keywording uploading chasing Alamy for un-recorded sales etc, even with a reasonable sale the actual pay rate overall would probably be well below minimum wage.

It is about exploitation in the long run, people will always attempt to get something for nothing and these "middlemen" as John calls them, are exploiting us because of the eagerness of some short sighted photographers that felt it was better to be published for free(microstock) rather than get paid a fair fee for all the effort. As log as these people persist in that attitude nothing will change. All we can really do is stop supplying our images altogether when you decide that it has gone too far.

I feel that people blame the new digital revolution too easily. Yes it has opened the market to huge numbers of new photos and Photography has probably become far less elitist than it ever deserved to be anyway. However that should not have had the negative effect it has had on prices. At the end of the day If we were paid an hourly rate for the work done just processing raw files, keywording uploading chasing Alamy for un-recorded sales etc, even with a reasonable sale the actual pay rate overall would probably be well below minimum wage.
It is about exploitation in the long run, people will always attempt to get something for nothing and these "middlemen" as John calls them, are exploiting us because of the eagerness of some short sighted photographers that felt it was better to be published for free(microstock) rather than get paid a fair fee for all the effort. As log as these people persist in that attitude nothing will change. All we can really do is stop supplying our images altogether when you decide that it has gone too far.

Just by way of a disclaimer, when I used the term "middlemen," I wasn't referring to Alamy, which still takes a smaller slice of the pie than most (if not all) of the agencies out there. Despite the drastic changes that have taken place during the past two decades, I now sell more images than I ever have, thanks mainly to Alamy. I don't feel that I'm being exploited by Alamy, but there are very few big agencies that I can say that about these days.

John,

I did not mean Alamy either, I was talking of some of the other microstock models that I feel do exploit people who have more interest in being published than being paid a fair price this in turn brings fees down for all.

I do feel that Alamy have dropped the ball with the newspaper scheme, which I why I left it recently.

I would think that  when this agency started it was made up mostly of full time professional photographers . They knew what to take and they knew what would sell... so most of them are still around making money. Many  of the other wingers on this site are amateurs who do not make their main income from photography yet they expect  to make regular sales.

Archived