When I read threads about how few zooms turn into sales, I’m confused.  A big percent of my zooms turn into sales. Sometimes a certain month is less, but on the whole, zooms bode well for me. Of my last 12 sales, 10 were zoomed. 

Its harder to evaluate looking at the zooms showing on my page right now because many times the sales take awhile to show up. All I can do is look at my sales and notice the ones that were zoomed.

For me, the statements I often read here about how few zooms translate into sales makes me scratch my head.

Am I alone here?

Betty

Not alone, Betty.  For what it's worth 58.8% of my 479 sales have been zoomed in the previous 3-4 months prior to reporting.  Of course, I can't link every sale to a particular zoom = the same image can be zoomed multiple times within that time period and those zooming could well be different from the actual buyers.

The other side of that is what %age of my zooms do not turn into sales.  I simply don't know.  Alamy don't provide that information.  For me the closest estimate I can get is to divide the previous 12 months sales by the total number of zooms in that time period.  That's 39.3%, a lot higher figure than many people report.  I may be a statistical outlier.

2 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Not alone, Betty.  For what it's worth 58.8% of my 479 sales have been zoomed in the previous 3-4 months prior to reporting.  Of course, I can't link every sale to a particular zoom = the same image can be zoomed multiple times within that time period and those zooming could well be different from the actual buyers.

The other side of that is what %age of my zooms do not turn into sales.  I simply don't know.  Alamy don't provide that information.  For me the closest estimate I can get is to divide the previous 12 months sales by the total number of zooms in that time period.  That's 39.3%, a lot higher figure than many people report.  I may be a statistical outlier.

Nice to know. I’ve always marched to a different drum and I thought my portfolio was/is doing the same!

You're not alone Betty.  I started keeping more detailed records of my zooms this year and find that quite a few of my sales have been zoomed before (e.g. 7 out of the last 10 sales).  However I have more zooms than sales, so at least half of my zooms don't turn into sales.

Maria

I like to think that about 50% of my zooms eventually translate into sales. However, I haven't really tried to keep track. I have quite a number of older repeat sellers that most likely have been zoomed at one time or another. When newer images get zoomed, they seem to either license within a few weeks or just meld back into the background, perhaps never to be seen again.

Some do, some don't. Some sales do not appear in my zooms. Many zooms don't result in sales. Haven't tried to keep track.

I did notice I had a zoom of the Watergate steps here in DC. Mine was one of three zooms. Then I saw that someone else's image of it appeared in Washingtonian magazine.

Also I noticed that a recent sale of mine of a particular subject was a different shot than the one that was zoomed.

All kinds of fun with zooms.

8 minutes ago, Bill Kuta said:

Some do, some don't. Some sales do not appear in my zooms. Many zooms don't result in sales. Haven't tried to keep track.

I did notice I had a zoom of the Watergate steps here in DC. Mine was one of three zooms. Then I saw that someone else's image of it appeared in Washingtonian magazine.

Also I noticed that a recent sale of mine of a particular subject was a different shot than the one that was zoomed.

All kinds of fun with zooms.

"Fun with Zooms" -- I see a possible workshop topic there. :D

Really, all over the place.

I don’t keep records either. But I have noticed that while some sales take a few months to show up after a zoom, the majority of sales show up from a day or two to a month or so after the zoom. Mmmmm, I like instant gratification!

On 03/07/2018 at 20:56, Betty LaRue said:

When I read threads about how few zooms turn into sales, I’m confused.  A big percent of my zooms turn into sales. Sometimes a certain month is less, but on the whole, zooms bode well for me. Of my last 12 sales, 10 were zoomed. 

Its harder to evaluate looking at the zooms showing on my page right now because many times the sales take awhile to show up. All I can do is look at my sales and notice the ones that were zoomed.

For me, the statements I often read here about how few zooms translate into sales makes me scratch my head.

Am I alone here?

Betty

You are lucky Betty ...:lol:   I started to upload on Alamy 10 months ago , got 22 zooms and only one sale...:unsure:  Probably my photos are not suitable for Alamy. I'm on some microstocks too and luckily I have regular sales. Most of my photos here are specific to Alamy, I have very few images that are shared.

On 7/3/2018 at 19:56, Betty LaRue said:

Am I alone here?

Betty

% of sales that were zoomed is very different to the % of zooms that turn into sales.

Considering the former:

Looking at my images that have been sold, I can see 66% have (at some time) been zoomed. NB. The sale may not have followed or been as a result of the zoom.

So 33% of my sales have never been zoomed

Considering the latter

Only 7% of my images that have been zoomed have sold

NB. the above percentages are approximate because some images have been sold or zoomed multiple times - but it's too complex to eliminate that from the analysis.

Mark

19 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

% of sales that were zoomed is very different to the % of zooms that turn into sales.

15 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yes, I don’t delve into the math. My brain thanks me. :P

It's not really a maths thing. The two measures are based on different quantities

In my case I have (since joining Alamy)
  190 sales of which 128 were of images that have (at some time) been zoomed (128/190 = 66%)

758 zooms of which 52 were of images that have (at some time) been sold (52/758 = 7%) 

So (in my case) it appears about 10x more likely that a sold image has been zoomed, than the other way around (zoomed images that have sold). It's not an exact analysis though as quite a few sold images have been zoomed multiple times and vice versa.

Mark

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

I've had a PU in about a week. Otherwise 6 weeks is the record. 20% of sales last year taken last year.

I think I’ve had sales show up a few times within a week. Just now had a sale that was zoomed within a month. That’s not the norm, though.

Mark, it’s a bit easier for me. I seldom have multiple zooms of an image before a sale shows up. When I have, I figure the person who zoomed it the first time is coming back for a second look, or showing it to his/her superior for a decision. I imagine once in awhile two different people might zoom one.

29 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Mark, it’s a bit easier for me. I seldom have multiple zooms of an image before a sale shows up. When I have, I figure the person who zoomed it the first time is coming back for a second look, or showing it to his/her superior for a decision. I imagine once in awhile two different people might zoom one.

I have 3 files...same subject that have now been zoomed 3 times each...I hope one of them pops already.

I vaguely recall that Alamy a long time ago pronounced that only a select group of users had their zooms recorded. this was to prevent contributors from going in and zooming their images to get a better rank placement. I think that the zooms have an influence on your ranking. That will partially explain the variation on zoom ratios. If your image has not been prior zoomed then this could be because the person buying the image is not one of the select few being counted.

1) I’m wondering how stats are kept. Let’s say a customer clicks on one of your images and then decides to see similar results and browses through your photos, are those views and possibly zooms also counted in the stats?

2) Had 9 sales pop up this month, different buildings in Antwerp, all with same description in the sales report... no zoom as far as I can tell, but since through a distributor I assume the distributor made a selection for the customer... and probably not acciunted for in the stats???

Archived