Failed QC after more than a year!

Aaaaaaagghhhhhh!

A failure for soft and out of focus - after more than a year of QC success and 2500 images submitted - and you know what? It was deserved - when I reviewed the Image QC were quite right - which goes to show what? 

That it can sometimes get easy to keep uploading ibn the evening and have images pass the following morning,  and gradually get closer to the borderline submission, but, more importantly, that no matter how good your submission history, QC are still looking at your images and if you submit a duff one they will an do spot it!

Good for QC - keep us on our toes!  :)

Kumar

Unlucky Doc, no matter how many times I hit the "Upload" button, I wince as I do it.

I always check my uploads in fine detail, but always dread I've missed something and getting the all clear is always a relief. I've managed over two years and 100+ uploads clean, but as a rather prominent, recently retired football manager once said, it is always squeaky bum time!

Yup, could happen any time soon. I check every one, but, sure as eggs, one day my time will come....(again).

I would like to see a route for admittedly dodgy images that would not incur the 28 day wait, only one submission allowed per month say, but guess that it would absorb too much time. I  get the odd one that I think might sell but won't upload for fear of reprisals!

A QC fail is a sure fire way to cripple a workflow of uploads. I'm totally lost just now serving a 28 wait. 

Paul, Don't let it cripple your workflow. Just carry on taking pictures and process them ready for the end of your 28 day wait.

Regards

Craig

Definitely a good attitude Kumar. :)

Paul was that your first fail? No sense being lost though, a month of shooting, careful editing, keywording should have you lots of good uploads. ;)

Must say the thing I miss most is the option to delete any submission(s) while waiting approval. No not here, but on the micro sites I was on. Life sometimes throws a monkey wrench into your flow (a call, computer glitch, dog wanting to go out or emergency) and that could make one miss something. Even after approval I scrutinize my images before putting them up for sale and have deleted one I mistakenly uploaded by accident.

A QC fail is a sure fire way to cripple a workflow of uploads. I'm totally lost just now serving a 28 wait.

Think of it as extra time to take stock / studio photos and check them off before your next upload..... of 3000+ images :D

What I mean by that is, does it make any difference if you upload 30 tomorrow or 300 next week or 3000 in a month or two time?!?! They will still end up in the same place! Just concentrate on getting the images, processing and keywording them ready for the time you can upload them! There are also other libraries to apply to, workflows to improve and photo shoots to research, plenty to keep us going! It will only cripple a workflow if you let it or..... think it!

I just had my first fail since April 2012, and I was I was in two minds about loading it Alamy, so tested the waters, so to speak, by sending it elsewhere. When it was OK and taken into 3 other edited collections, I sent it to Alamy...for a fail. And not only for SoLD, the QC inspector apparently found some interpolation artifacts (the image was not uprezzed.)

I just had my first fail since April 2012, and I was I was in two minds about loading it Alamy, so tested the waters, so to speak, by sending it elsewhere. When it was OK and taken into 3 other edited collections, I sent it to Alamy...for a fail. And not only for SoLD, the QC inspector apparently found some interpolation artifacts (the image was not uprezzed.)

Interesting. Have you contacted member services to ask about the "interpolation artifacts"?

No John, if QC have failed it and seen some artifacts - well, so be it. I've just moved on - but on the plus side, I was only in the "sin bin" for a couple of days, not 28.

The previous fail was also a weird one - accepted by Age - and everyone knows that Alfonso is as tough as tough can be, and once he picks an image, it has to go past the Age technical department before going online. It did, and is a very popular image.....but the inspector at Alamy said SoLD.

At the end of the day, we are all human, and one person might see something another doesn't.

Hi Paul - If you have a good track record you should get through in less than 28 days so don't despair. In my case it only took 3 days to pass my resubmission. Good luck.

dov

Should have said, that I am taking pictures as usual. Building up a nice little bunch again. However, this time, a well thought out set of pics. No snap shots are making it onto my portfolio from now on. Going to only upload pics on a Monday. Save up all my catalogue and run it all on one run. If the QC goes quicker than a week then I'll adjust :) 

Thanks for starting this thread, Kumar.  It is a reminder to all of us not to get too complacent when one's passed QC regularly for a long while.  Hope you don't have to wait too long for your next batch to get QCd! B)

No John, if QC have failed it and seen some artifacts - well, so be it. I've just moved on - but on the plus side, I was only in the "sin bin" for a couple of days, not 28.

The previous fail was also a weird one - accepted by Age - and everyone knows that Alfonso is as tough as tough can be, and once he picks an image, it has to go past the Age technical department before going online. It did, and is a very popular image.....but the inspector at Alamy said SoLD.

At the end of the day, we are all human, and one person might see something another doesn't.

Can you see the artifacts that Alamy is talking about? Personally, I would want to know what they are. There could be something wrong with your camera or post processing, and you might have trouble again down the road.

Kumar, 

Sorry about that, Mr. K.  John is right; ask MS.

I have a grand nephew who I'm mentoring in photography (not stock). I looked at a picture of his on FAA, and at 100% it was filled with problems—giggelies, friggiles, a mess. I asked him to send me the full-sized original, and I opened it in LR5 and clicked the box next to Remove Chromatic Aberrations. Bingo! All problems cured (notice medical term). My grand nephew is a computer techie, by the way. 

Edo

I had my first fail (SOLD) for ages a couple of months ago - the submission had been uploaded in the week I had my eyes tested and got my first ever reading glasses. No coincidence, I suspect.

I must admit I have been much more impressed with my own work, and my camera lenses, since I started wearing specs at the computer.

It's something to think about.

I had my first fail (SOLD) for ages a couple of months ago - the submission had been uploaded in the week I had my eyes tested and got my first ever reading glasses. No coincidence, I suspect.

I must admit I have been much more impressed with my own work, and my camera lenses, since I started wearing specs at the computer.

It's something to think about.

True. I had what I suspect was an inadequate reading glasses QC failure earlier this year. I now keep my extra-strong "Alamy specs" close at hand.

However, it is interesting how images that fail Alamy QC are often accepted by other big agencies. Alamy must be unique with basing its QC process on images viewed at 100%. Also, I imagine that it has to do with the fact that content often trumps technical quality at agencies with edited collections.

content often trumps technical quality at agencies with edited collections

From my experience i would have to agree,  edited collections are more important for sales over quality,  most quality issues are very small and with a little work can easily be corrected by the lithographs when proofing the images.

I supply a couple of archives who edit my material are less fussy with QC and sell a great deal of my images on a regular basis.

Cheers,

Paul.

content often trumps technical quality at agencies with edited collections

From my experience i would have to agree,  edited collections are more important for sales over quality,  most quality issues are very small and with a little work can easily be corrected by the lithographs when proofing the images.

I supply a couple of archives who edit my material are less fussy with QC and sell a great deal of my images on a regular basis.

Cheers,

Paul.

Yes, my experience is similar. I've never had an image rejected by an edited collection for technical quality issues. However, given Alamy's "open door" policy, I guess they have to be extra careful. They never know what might come walking through the door. Still, I imagine that many otherwise excellent images get "shown the door" because of minor technical issues that clients probably wouldn't even notice. But there are always plenty more where they came from these days.

Hi Gervais!

Canon 5d mk2 with the 24-105L f4 lens for about 70% of my uploaded images. The image that failed was one that I had cropped ++ and then had to upres to get over 24mb size, hence I should have recognised it was likely to fail :(

Can you see the artifacts that Alamy is talking about? Personally, I would want to know what they are. There could be something wrong with your camera or post processing, and you might have trouble again down the road.

Thanks for the thoughts John, but images shot around the same time with same camera/lens have continued to pass QC. My processing hasn't changed either. Like Doc, I've just moved on. And I posted my comments more to show that there can be borderline cases when failing QC. As I originally said, I was a bit hesitant about loading the image to Alamy, and I know now that I should have gone with my gut feeling and not done so!

I have a submission of 50+ images awaiting QC that I uploaded Friday in a rush. A very bad thing to do.... When I looked them over on Sunday, I noticed I uploaded the wrong version of an image. :(  At this point it will fail or if by chance it goes through then I will immediately delete it, as I wouldn't want my name on that image. Note to self: never be in a rush!

Archived