Failed QC after more than a year!

Hi Gervais!

Canon 5d mk2 with the 24-105L f4 lens for about 70% of my uploaded images. The image that failed was one that I had cropped ++ and then had to upres to get over 24mb size, hence I should have recognised it was likely to fail :(

OK Doc thanks. Good stuff. I am in the same boat as I said. Still showing 'Awaiting QC' after 16 days.

What do you like to use for your small camera Doc? The other 30% of the time. :)

I had my second batch failed again yesterday. I just binned the whole set as I can't trust it now. In comparison to what I've submitted today the older set wasn't worth putting on. Certainly going through a transitional phase with Alamy just now. 

• Upvote 1

Hello All,

Interestingly enough, or not, but for me it is, my 12 year-old son can pass Alamy QC pretty easily on his own......... in fact he has never failed QC. True enough I have looked at his submissions (as one of my pseudos ) just make sure but he has 'got with the program' and has no bother with it at all. Maybe this is just that people of his generation are more 'with it' or not I don't know but his old man has been in the game on a professional level for thirty years and can still fail QC on occasion. I put this down to being too 'creative' with my images but could probably be classed as 'too lazy'

QC times seem to vary in any case ... 12hours up to the scary five days when one thinks it may be all over but pass anyway.

Best

Richard

Same here ! 

Think I will go back to the G9 with no dust bunny problems.

1 image uploaded and checked at 200%

I obviously missed something..

Colin.

Using Canon M11..Must buy a new camera !

Colin,

I agree with Phil, checking at 100% gives the real picture. However I find at 200% many spots are easier to see.

So my technique is to "slide" the image past my eyes at 200%, then at 100% I "flick" over the picture again. Maybe a bit over the top but I find it surprising how many are missed at 200% but caught at 100% and vise versa.

Colin,

I agree with Phil, checking at 100% gives the real picture. However I find at 200% many spots are easier to see.

So my technique is to "slide" the image past my eyes at 200%, then at 100% I "flick" over the picture again. Maybe a bit over the top but I find it surprising how many are missed at 200% but caught at 100% and vise versa.

I prefer to check at 100% (best for focus check) and am not really haunted by dust bunnies for the time being. It helps a lot that I don't change lenses too often (two cameras). If necessary I darken the image temporarily and the few bunnies, if any, will be extremely visible.

Uploaded a new brand new set I was working of 42 images. FAILED QC AGAIN! One image of a plane taking off. I didn't even change anything about the image, it was literally straight out the camera, and it failed on Interpolation artifactsSoft or lacking definition I actually have no idea why. I checked it, and checked it again. I just couldn't see what was wrong. I take it there's some new super heros from Shutterstock working for Alamy QC now? 

I actually don't want to upload anything else now. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have a batch of 30 photos awaiting QC since the 9th now. Looks like this batch is going to take me the 28 days. And I had checked before sending; but there was an element of risk because of noise, looks like checking needs to be more careful. 

Back to generating more processed photos.

Hi Gervais!

Canon 5d mk2 with the 24-105L f4 lens for about 70% of my uploaded images. The image that failed was one that I had cropped ++ and then had to upres to get over 24mb size, hence I should have recognised it was likely to fail :(

OK Doc thanks. Good stuff. I am in the same boat as I said. Still showing 'Awaiting QC' after 16 days.

What do you like to use for your small camera Doc? The other 30% of the time. :)

Hi Gervais;

The other 30% of the time I use the Canon 5D Mk2 but with other lenses rather than the 24-105, except for a very few images which are from a Canon G11

:)

• Upvote 1

For those Awaiting QC, take heart! Me, Ed, otherwise known as Mister Perfect QC Record Guy, had a 19 or 20 day wait in August . . . and then everything passed. Still perfect.  Doc, stick out your tongue and say, ah.

:)

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • 3 weeks later...

Yikes! This morning I failed QC!

This is the first failure I've had as an Alamy contributor (since 2007). I feel like I've spilled raspberry sauce and olive oil on my new silk shirt. "Can't be," I thought. Then, when I identified the offending image and blew it up to 100% . . . yes, most of the image was not sharply focused. How did I miss that? I thought I was . . . perfect? So much for that egocentric idea. Am I being punished for my arrogance? I don't know; I've never seen others punished for arrogance. 

To rub salt in the wound, it was an image that shouldn't even have been submitted . . . another uninteresting picture of bicycles on the streets of New York. (I have a weakness for this subject . . . even though I've never had a sale of a bike image.) 

Now I must learn what less-perfect people already know: what's the step-by-step in dealing with my failure? Do I shake my fist at the clouds? Play innocent? ("I don't see anything wrong.") Or do I just sit around for 28 days feeling sorry for myself? I guess I will just continue to shoot and edit and then store the images in a folder until I am forgiven. I will be forgiven, right? 

Ed  (the imperfect one)

• Upvote 1

This is the first failure I've had as an Alamy contributor (since 2007). I feel like I've spilled raspberry sauce and olive oil on my new silk shirt. "Can't be," I thought. Then, when I identified the offending image and blew it up to 100% . . . yes, most of the image was not sharply focused. How did I miss that? I thought I was . . . perfect? So much for that egocentric idea. Am I being punished for my arrogance? I don't know; I've never seen others punished for arrogance. 

To rub salt in the wound, it was an image that shouldn't even have been submitted . . . another uninteresting picture of bicycles on the streets of New York. (I have a weakness for this subject . . . even though I've never had a sale of a bike image.) 

Now I must learn what less-perfect people already know: what's the step-by-step in dealing with my failure? Do I shake my fist at the clouds? Play innocent? ("I don't see anything wrong.") Or do I just sit around for 28 days feeling sorry for myself? I guess I will just continue to shoot and edit and then store the images in a folder until I am forgiven. I will be forgiven, right? 

Ed  (the imperfect one)

Do they give you a date when they fail you of when you are allowed to upload again?  I thought being held in the queue was the punishment time. So its long time in the queue and 28 days. Puts fear in my heart.

Jill

Ed  (the imperfect one)

Do they give you a date when they fail you of when you are allowed to upload again?  I thought being held in the queue was the punishment time. So its long time in the queue and 28 days. Puts fear in my heart.

Jill

I think you can continue to upload, just that the images won't be QC'd until Alamy think you've received enough punishment.

I still find it a bit weird that they punish you (and themselves) by denying a chance of sales for 28 days from your next sets of images.

I think you can continue to upload, just that the images won't be QC'd until Alamy think you've received enough punishment.

That is a myth. You MAY have to wait 28 days for notification of a fail, but nowhere in Alamy's documentation is there any mention of QC then being delayed for your next submission as punishment for the previous fail.

dd

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the input, folks. 

One thing I had wrong in my above post: I have in fact had five bicycle pictures sell over the years. 

A little bad luck and a little sloppiness on my part caused this QC failure. Normally I check all images at 100%, left to right, top to bottom—the entire file. That's part of my workflow. This time I half remember opening the image at the 25% of the bicycles that was shape . . . and went no further, assuming that all was well. The AF on my NEX-6 was probably not exactly where it should have been.  

Despite the QC fail Ed, if you have had such a good QC record, your submissions will be checked as usual. Only those with poor QC records will be flagged for closer scrutiny for a period of time.

Dave