Failed QC after more than a year!

I think you can continue to upload, just that the images won't be QC'd until Alamy think you've received enough punishment.

That is a myth. You MAY have to wait 28 days for notification of a fail, but nowhere in Alamy's documentation is there any mention of QC then being delayed for your next submission as punishment for the previous fail.

dd

You are probably correct about it being a myth dd. So the wait is on the failed lot rather than the next lot.

Ed - when did you upload the failed set? That would give an indication of your punishment for sending in even more images of bikes in NYC :D

You are probably correct about it being a myth dd. So the wait is on the failed lot rather than the next lot.

You got it :-) It's only when any one contributor continues to submit sub-standard work that further sanctions may be invoked, and that is usually suspension from submitting for a period. Many here waffle on about a "sin bin" following one fail . . . there is no "sin bin" in that instance if a sin bin is still a place where you are sent and are not allowed to play for a while (except for contributors who continue to submit sub-standard work) . . . as you say, the only wait is on notification of a fail, and even then there are no sanctions in place during that wait.

I'm sure with his record Ed will be welcomed back to the QC fold as soon as he submits again . . . as long as he checks properly this time :-)

dd

When I first got my Canon 5D in early 2006, I quickly set about to capture and send in a lot of those fine images. This was still in the DVD days, so I managed to send in four or five batches before I heard about the first.

Before that, my digital submissions were from a Canon G6 p&s (great lens), so I had never had to worry about dust spots.

Yep, I soon found out what the D in 5D stands for. On the plus side, there was no sin bin then, so I got back on track quickly.

Sold the 5D and associated stuff earlier this year and am now using a Sony NEX-6 and Canon SL1. And loving the LR5 "visualize dust spots" feature.

Yikes! This morning I failed QC!

This is the first failure I've had as an Alamy contributor (since 2007). I feel like I've spilled raspberry sauce and olive oil on my new silk shirt. "Can't be," I thought. Then, when I identified the offending image and blew it up to 100% . . . yes, most of the image was not sharply focused. How did I miss that? I thought I was . . . perfect? So much for that egocentric idea. Am I being punished for my arrogance? I don't know; I've never seen others punished for arrogance. 

To rub salt in the wound, it was an image that shouldn't even have been submitted . . . another uninteresting picture of bicycles on the streets of New York. (I have a weakness for this subject . . . even though I've never had a sale of a bike image.) 

Now I must learn what less-perfect people already know: what's the step-by-step in dealing with my failure? Do I shake my fist at the clouds? Play innocent? ("I don't see anything wrong.") Or do I just sit around for 28 days feeling sorry for myself? I guess I will just continue to shoot and edit and then store the images in a folder until I am forgiven. I will be forgiven, right? 

Ed  (the imperfect one)

Ed take it from me as a sometimes imperfect.

Shrug shoulders, sigh, smile, then carry on shooting and processing ready for when the starting gun goes off. You will be up and running with massive uploads and loads of keywording to do.

Allan ( from a very recent experience)

This is the first failure I've had as an Alamy contributor (since 2007). I feel like I've spilled raspberry sauce and olive oil on my new silk shirt. "Can't be," I thought. Then, when I identified the offending image and blew it up to 100% . . . yes, most of the image was not sharply focused. How did I miss that? I thought I was . . . perfect? So much for that egocentric idea. Am I being punished for my arrogance? I don't know; I've never seen others punished for arrogance. 

To rub salt in the wound, it was an image that shouldn't even have been submitted . . . another uninteresting picture of bicycles on the streets of New York. (I have a weakness for this subject . . . even though I've never had a sale of a bike image.) 

Now I must learn what less-perfect people already know: what's the step-by-step in dealing with my failure? Do I shake my fist at the clouds? Play innocent? ("I don't see anything wrong.") Or do I just sit around for 28 days feeling sorry for myself? I guess I will just continue to shoot and edit and then store the images in a folder until I am forgiven. I will be forgiven, right? 

Ed  (the imperfect one)

Shrug shoulders, sigh, smile, then carry on shooting and processing ready for when the starting gun goes off. You will be up and running with massive uploads and loads of keywording to do.

As dd pointed out above, the fact Ed has had the failed QC email means the starting gun has already gone off.

D91EHG.jpg

Ed  (the imperfect one)

As dd pointed out above, the fact Ed has had the failed QC email means the starting gun has already gone off.

D91EHG.jpg

Yikes! missed that!

Allan

Ed, how long did you have to wait for notification about your QC failure? The full 28 days purgatory or less?

I ask because a week has elapsed since my last humble offering to the gods, and I fear that they have banished me once again to the realm of the imperfect ones.

I am new to this submission process and learning with each one. Am trying to get my first 4 submitted, but everything since my 1st one has failed. Not sure what the problems are being such a newbie to agancy submission. What I've read here if I understand it right is to change jpg to tiff, make changes to photo, then upload at 100%. as a jpg. Hope tha tis right.

Thanks Dianekns

I think you can continue to upload, just that the images won't be QC'd until Alamy think you've received enough punishment.

The Alamy guidance on preparing images says that "If we fail one image, we will reject all images in all media awaiting QC at that time." If I am interpreting this correctly, there would seem to be no point in continuing to upload images if you know you have failed, as they will also automatically fail - they won't even be looked at.

Ed, how long did you have to wait for notification about your QC failure? The full 28 days purgatory or less?

I ask because a week has elapsed since my last humble offering to the gods, and I fear that they have banished me once again to the realm of the imperfect ones.

I uploaded the small batch of 9 on Sunday morning, got the Alamy email this morning, about 24 hours later. 

I uploaded the small batch of 9 on Sunday morning, got the Alamy email this morning, about 24 hours later. 

That's amazing! I've never heard of anyone getting instant (almost) notice of a QC failure. You can't be that imperfect. Has anyone else experienced this miracle lately?

That's amazing! I've never heard of anyone getting instant (almost) notice of a QC failure. You can't be that imperfect. Has anyone else experienced this miracle lately?

I had my first fail for 6 years and 130 submissions on 26th April 2013. I had submitted the batch the day before. One failed on CA, deleted image from batch and resubmitted on 26th and they passed on the 29th., so no sin bin for me!

Nope, I had my last QC failure November 14th 2011 (not boasting, the next could be just around the corner, it is human to miss something once in a while, even if you check carefully - or try out something you know could be either very creative or a failure) - the failing batches were uploaded October 25th - so not the full 28 days waiting time for me at that time.

Regarding keeping uploading if you suspect a failure (in earlier posts): People seem so nervous to fail after less than a week. If you are nearly sure you are going to fail, I would stop uploading, but you can still end in the odd queue and wait about 10 days for the approval. This happened to me not that long ago. After the 10 days I would consider to stop uploading of further images until the batches are cleared. Keep the spirits up, that will pass the waiting time  :)

Archived