New lens - a lot of stick

Maybe pointless sharing this news but why not. 

I bought a new lens the other day. A Canon EF 70-200 2.8L IS II USM. It's a lens I've been drooling over for the last year and bit the bullet and went for it. As normal you get excited by such a popular purchase and share between friends and family. Here's some of the negative comments I've received so far. 

• Why you buy a pro lens? You're not a pro
  • More money than sense I see
  • Do you think your some paparazzi or something?
  • Buying a pro lens won't make you a pro
  • I see another beginner with G.A.S (gear acquisition syndrome)

Negativity is something we all live with, and in photography it's actually quite prevalent. 

I think it's a perfect lens for what I shoot, and uploading better quality pictures to Alamy can only help. Some people can be really nasty behind a firewall and I guess I'm heading into a new world and some don't like it. 

Anyway, I'm chuffed to bits with my purchase and from what i've heard, it should pair very well with my 7D. I didn't just buy this for Alamy purposes, because that makes no sense seeing I've sold 5 images and made £145. I was looking for a general great lens that I could use for lots of things, and it fit well. 

Anyone else had negative press with regards to buying gear?

Paul

You should always buy the best glass you can afford IMO

If you sell your images for the best price you can get and don't work for free then I reckon you can say you are professional. Maybe not a full time pro but you are earning from photography and everyone has to start somewhere.

No but I never show my friends and family my purchases.

I think this was my first mistake :) 

You should always buy the best glass you can afford IMO

If you sell your images for the best price you can get and don't work for free then I reckon you can say you are professional. Maybe not a full time pro but you are earning from photography and everyone has to start somewhere.

Since I started out I was always told this. People are a little touchy about the 'pro' label being thrown about. I just say freelance, however, some folk have said hobbyist and some 'numpty' but that's because I spend all my money on my love for it. I don't smoke or drink and don't ask for anything so why not :) 

HOW MUCH?

I've barely spent that much on camera kit in 30 years, but then I have to justify my purchases, not to anyone else, but to myself as to whether it will earn its keep.

To be fair there's not much in your port that needed it. Perhaps you're planning to do other things which is fair enough.

Glass is king - you can have an entry level dslr paired with a top quality lens, and you will still be able to take very high quality images.

Part of keeping our excitment with any hobby we love is getting something new/different to play around with.

That is a beautiful lens - enjoy it

Congratulations, Paul...

One of the very best lenses.

Unfortunately I was too mean to get the f.2.8 version a few years ago - but the f4 is doing a great job and less bulky. But one day I just may shift to the 2.8.

It spends most of the time fixed on my 7d - and the 24-105 on my 5d - but occasionally - and especially indoors I may use it on the 5d (more pixels and less noise in the dark areas, but less telephoto effect due to the full frame).

I am sure you will be addicted.

HOW MUCH?

I've barely spent that much on camera kit in 30 years, but then I have to justify my purchases, not to anyone else, but to myself as to whether it will earn its keep.

To be fair there's not much in your port that needed it. Perhaps you're planning to do other things which is fair enough.

I've always managed to justify purchases in the past due to future earning potential but it's getting harder to do with the fall in prices. There are a few things I want but I'm now looking at earning the money first before splashing out. 

I've always managed to justify purchases in the past due to future earning potential but it's getting harder to do with the fall in prices. There are a few things I want but I'm now looking at earning the money first before splashing out. 

Me too.

Holding the big investments back for the time being.

grrrrrrr at people who criticise others over their purchase; somebody once grumbled at me about a new buy however they had recently bought a new Harley for £16,000; if you enjoy owning and using the lens then it is nobody else's business.

Enjoy!

Peter.

Like others I do not show others my purchases, after all they are only tools. However, camera bodies come and go but a lens is for life if treated properly. That lens is on my wants list but as my last two pics sold went for one dollar each (not through Alamy) thats where it will remain for now.

Nice to see positivity coming out :) 

I saw myself going through each lens and always wishing I had got faster glass with IQ to die for. Not a situation I was looking forward too. 

I do some portrait work as a side to stock. In fact stock is about 30% of what I actually do. A bit of everything keeps the soul alive and keeps me from leaving my IT admin job. 

Congratulations on your purchase, Paul. Now when you say "friends and family" are you really saying girl friend and parents? Sounds like you're trying to garner support for something really expensive that's hard to justify in your position...but we've all had to take that first assertive step. Now go out and shoot lots (and lot and lots) to pay for it. :)

Dave

I received lots of negative feedbacks when I bought a 70-200, few months later I realized the mistake and  sold it, I bought three prime lenses,

they are lighter, cheaper, of better quality. My wife has never been happier.

Congratulations on your purchase, Paul. Now when you say "friends and family" are you really saying girl friend and parents? Sounds like you're trying to garner support for something really expensive that's hard to justify in your position...but we've all had to take that first assertive step. Now go out and shoot lots (and lot and lots) to pay for it. :)

Dave

My girlfriend is actually thee most supportive person in my mad adventure through photography so I can't complain. If my mother found out I spent that much on anything that wasn't a car she'd be very angry. I was talking about the online community of forumites that we get to know as e-friends lol

I told my online friends that I'd bought a new stapler, and they were thrilled. Actually, I tell a lie. I don't have online friends; I have real friends. Y'know, people who'll lend you money and forget to ask for it back.

Actually, I didn't tell anyone about my purchase.

OK... cards on the table: I didn't buy a stapler at all. Times are hard.

Now, there must be a reason why I wandered into this forum, but I can't remember what it was.

Time for my nap, I think... 

What is all the fuss about?

I bought a similar lens over 25 years ago, it then cost an arm and a leg, but it was a work horse and used almost daily; hell knows how may images it helped me with and bottom line it paid for its self over and over again.

Early this year I looked at an upgrade - same lens 70 - 200 2.8 in Nikon - I could not believe how things had moved on; the optics were unbelievably better, the focus much quick, slicker and quieter and for me it is much better balanced in the hand.

Do I regret the cost?  Not one bit,  if I again get 15-20 years of service out of this lens it will be a matter of a few pence per week which will be easy to recover via Almay and other sales.

Bottom line; a sound investment. .................  so no whining from family!

My girlfriend is actually thee most supportive person in my mad adventure through photography so I can't complain. If my mother found out I spent that much on anything that wasn't a car she'd be very angry. I was talking about the online community of forumites that we get to know as e-friends lol

I've only once spent that much on a car.

I've only once spent that much on a car.

I'd rather spend it on a lens. Car's are the biggest pile of money wasting junk I've experienced. 

Archived