New lens - a lot of stick

The other positive aspect of the L series line of lenses is the resale value. I sold a few L series lenses, after many years of good use(sometimes up to 10+ years), and have fetched upwards of 80% to 85% of its original value.  So, yes.  Great investments, they are.

Paul - it's a great lens, one of the best. I got one just about a year ago and its probably already paid 50% of its cost back. Camera bodies get upgraded but a great lens will last you years. 

I am in the process of acquiring a 16-35 2.8L Mk2. I am sure I will have no regrets

:)

Kumar

Paul there's an old saying I just made up.

Always buy gear you can't afford. If you buy gear you can easily afford you will regret it later.

I always remember George Best saying he spent his money on wine, women and fast living and just wasted the rest.

I have the Nikon equivalent and it's a sharp lens ( providing you turn off vibration reduction when you stick it on a tripod) haha!

Not if it has to earn its keep. Then it's a good-enough-for-the-job tradeoff.

That said I did buy a Hasselblad when I started out, but it was second-hand, and 15 years old at that. Made the year Apollo 8 went round the moon with some of its friends.

Nice to hear the support pouring out for my outlandish purchase. Small in the grand scheme of things, but I couldn't shake the lingering notion that the 7D was a pro grade crop body and it needed similar glass. Thanks again guys :) 

I have one and I like it.  It's perfect for everything from portraits to reportage to sports.  It's excellent in low light.

That being said, about the only other purchase I've considered in the form of a lens lately is the new Sigma 120-300...but I don't need it and funds are being directed in a different direction at the moment (in order to generate more funds so I can afford the new Sigma) :-)

Hi Paul  great lens - if you use it a lot you will realise that it is terrific value. Friends should share in your pleasure. Pro lenses give much better quality images requiring less processing time. Time is the biggest cost in photography, not the gear. Good gear also holds its value. Only potential downside is if Canon change their mount again.

dov

I'm trying to keep my wife happy.  5 years ago I paid £7000 for a Hasselblad X1 film scanner, the results from this machine are exceptional. As I had a vast collection of large and medium format transparencies it has been one of the best buys I have ever made.

I have now completed the scanning task so if anyone is interested contact me. A bargain is to be had.

Well done Paul, always buy the best.

Best wishes,

Brian

I learned the hard way when restarting photography way back when I bought cheap lenses and, of course, eventually they all ended up on eBay etc.  If you buy cheap, you end up buying twice.  With the exception of my Canon 100 macro, all of my lenses are L lenses and they have long outlasted my camera bodies.  And when friends and acquaintances comment on my photographs with "you must have a good camera", I respond "And Michelangelo must have had a good set of brushes". 

Sheila

Been there many years ago, proudly showing off my then loved camera gear and getting some negative comments, now as a pro my camera gear is just a tool, buy it use it, at times abuse it, gone are the days when it was something to give the impression that i am a photographer.

Paul, i assume you are a young guy fallen in love with photography,  we have all been there, my advice is to ignore what others say,  just lap up your love and passion for photography often you will find there is nothing better in the world.

Yes!  i also have the 70-200 2.8,  in my kit,  you can't go wrong,  you made a good choice " well done " :)

Cheers, and happy shooting with your 70-200 lens,

Paul Mayall.

Archived