An Obvious, Great Subject . . .

1 hour ago, RedSnapper said:

If it doesn't sell, then its obviously not a great subject

km

Possibly, but not necessarily.  Maybe it's just not being seen and therefore not keyworded/captioned well enough; or subjected to a poor CTR owing to issues with the rest/bulk of the portfolio in question.

EDIT: Just saw that Martin said essentially the same thing previously.

My lunch sells sometimes, but I've never sold an image of a cow. That's might be because I have no images of cows. I was going to clarify after the first two replies, but then I thought I would let this run for a bit. 

Two examples: St. Peter's Basilica in Rome. I was very nearby for two weeks in 2008, visiting a friend. I was able to get some good shots at various times of day. I've never had a sale or even a zoom. And I have some telling images of the New York bike rental system that is contrasted with other forms of transport. Again, no sales or zooms. Hmm. There are other examples. 

Edo

There's no figuring it out, Ed.  I have uploaded images that I was excited about and thought they were sure-fire sellers.  Like you, not even a glint in a buyer's eye.  And I've sold ones that I thought were bad and with an uninteresting subject that have sold a couple of times each. And those had to be dug up from the further reaches by buyers.

It's weird how that happens.

Then there are the gaps.  I haven't filled many gaps, but was excited when I found a few and covered them.  NaDa.

As the old saying goes, just when you think you know all of the answers, someone changes the questions.

Betty

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

There's no figuring it out, Ed.  I have uploaded images that I was excited about and thought they were sure-fire sellers.  Like you, not even a glint in a buyer's eye.  And I've sold ones that I thought were bad and with an uninteresting subject that have sold a couple of times each. And those had to be dug up from the further reaches by buyers.

It's weird how that happens.

Then there are the gaps.  I haven't filled many gaps, but was excited when I found a few and covered them.  NaDa.

As the old saying goes, just when you think you know all of the answers, someone changes the questions.

Betty

We might also have to recalibrate what we think of as a "crappy photo". 

1 hour ago, Russell Watkins said:

We might also have to recalibrate what we think of as a "crappy photo". 

And also consider exactly what stock photography is and isn't about. A crappy photo of a great subject is probably more likely to sell than a great photo of a crappy subject.

Alan

Archived