How long do you think it will be . . .

Never! 

There will always be something new invented, some new animal/plant discovered, some geographical location/environment changed, different fashions developed ...and some new system devised of capturing it all!

Your work will never end, Ed! Not until cameras finally gasp their last, at any rate! 

The main reason I shoot mainly geographic stock is that it's changing all the time, particularly if you shoot with people or everyday objects as part of the context.  However many images there seems to be of a location I can't see that some buyers will not want  one that's recent - although images from quite a few years ago still seem to sell.  I'm off to London tomorrow, will visit places I've been before but I know I'll get fresh material. 

This is like with science, there are always people who claim that everything has already been discovered and there is no need to study sciences any more. 

As long as science has not discovered everything, there will be future photos of stuff not known before. 

Example: until somewhere in the 1990's we did not know that other sun's (ie stars) did have planets. Today we know for certain that there are thousands. Predicting from what we know so far is that ever sun has at least one planet: Yet these presumably wonderful planets remain largely unimaged, let alone any details on their surface.

Makes me now thinking; Can I do one with my camera???  :ph34r:

I suppose the answer is: do a BETTER photo than anyone yet. Certainly there is no point in submitting dreary second or tenth best of a subject which has already been flogged to near-death.

I would like think I can do that from time to time, but maybe I'm kidding myself. That's my excuse for such a poor upload rate the last year or two.

Come to think of it, we've had the furniture conversation before. Sorry about that.

" What has been will be again,
    what has been done will be done again;
    there is nothing new under the sun."

Mark's cow (or whatever it is) might just be an exception to this rule, though.

The subjetcs may remain largely the same but new technology is pushing the levels of what is possible higher all the time. Take wildlife photography for example (my main area of work), and compare today photos with just a few years back... lots of difference. The idea, on every kind of photography, is to go beyound what everybody else is doing, whenever possible. People are placing cameras on flying eagles, on the back of sharks, using drones, underwater remote photography, etc. Where and when this is going to stop I don't know... maybe it will never stop.

5 hours ago, vpics said:

People and papers are always craving for the latest images - stars, celebrities, events, venues etc.

The last time I photographed a film star I got into a fist fight. Now I can't even remember her name. 

23 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Come to think of it, we've had the furniture conversation before. Sorry about that.

" What has been will be again,
    what has been done will be done again;
    there is nothing new under the sun."

Mark's cow (or whatever it is) might just be an exception to this rule, though.

EN3R75.jpg

Part of a street art festival (haha) in Kirkcudbright a couple of years ago. It's based on the London Underground map.

7 hours ago, spacecadet said:

EN3R75.jpg

Part of a street art festival (haha) in Kirkcudbright a couple of years ago. It's based on the London Underground map.

I figured it was a subway map of some kind. No doubt there's some subtle Scottish humour that I'm missing.

Archived