What we definitely know about the new system

Hi Folks,

I don't know about you but my head hurts.

So many new / confused / conflicting bits of advice and opinion.

How about a thread where we only post FACTS about how the new AIM works - things where there

is a consensus or Alamy has definitively settled the matter.

eg there still seems no agreement about the importance of the order of tags.

I think there is a consensus that the 'discoverability' thing is not worth worrying about.

So, is there anything else we can say is settled yet ?

Geoff S

I think this is an excellent idea but I think it would need to a thread managed by a single person with no additional posting in order to maintain a coherent body of information - otherwise it risks becoming another mass of confusion - a mess of FACTS and ALTERNATIVE FACTS B) perhaps. In other words a thread is needed where only one person posts FACTS gathered by others messaging that person.

I think this is an excellent idea but I think it would need to a thread managed by a single person with no additional posting in order to maintain a coherent body of information - otherwise it risks becoming another mass of confusion - a mess of FACTS and ALTERNATIVE FACTS B) perhaps. In other words a thread is needed where only one person posts FACTS gathered by others messaging that person.

You're hired!

Hi Folks,

How about a thread where we only post FACTS about how the new AIM works - things where there

I think there is a consensus that the 'discoverability' thing is not worth worrying about.

Geoff S

Nice one Geoff! I sort of asked that on the Image Manager long thread, but in a different way nobody has replied yet, but that's what I was getting at and I probably didn't make myself clear.

What do we known factually, if anything?

Hi Folks,

Geoff S

Nice one Geoff! I sort of asked that on the Image Manager long thread, but in a different way nobody has replied yet, but that's what I was getting at and I probably didn't make myself clear.

Got me. I'd say that even the "dicoverability thing" won't be totally settled until Alamy reveals what they have in mind with this idea.

You're hired!

Thanks John but I must respectfully decline the job offer mainly because I have insufficient knowledge of how the search engine works and all this talk about order of keywords being important or nor etc etc ad infinitum. I have tried but am at a loss to distinguish what is true from what is not.

I think the ideal person for this is Doc  as he has been researching it and undoubtedly has sufficient power in the brain department to compile, understand and accurately regurgitate the information. Over to Doc if he is willing and available :D.

You're hired!

Thanks John but I must respectfully decline the job offer mainly because I have insufficient knowledge of how the search engine works and all this talk about order of keywords being important or nor etc etc ad infinitum. I have tried but am at a loss to distinguish what is true from what is not.

I think the ideal person for this is Doc  as he has been researching it and undoubtedly has sufficient power in the brain department to compile, understand and accurately regurgitate the information. Over to Doc if he is willing and available :D.

Doc is in India searching for tigers. Such fun.

Paulette

Hi Folks,

Geoff S

Got me. I'd say that even the "dicoverability thing" won't be totally settled until Alamy reveals what they have in mind with this idea.

I won't say any more, so as not to confuse things, but I've only had the new Image Manager a few days and I'm more baffled about tags and what is required than I was previously! 

I look forward to seeing some answers

The people with the facts are ALAMY, but we have to individually e-mail them for answers, it's a joke.

The better we can work, the more we can optimize for sale, the more we sell, the more money we all make, including ALAMY, but there is not really any clear effort to engage us as contributors, and IMO, (most) people are afraid to criticise... maybe for fear of having their ports deleted!

Please ALAMY, get off the blogs, Vlogs, twitter, Instagram, Stockimo, Pinterest, etc etc (where there is practically zero feedback visible in the comments and likes department) and HELP US OUT!

The dissatisfaction is not just clear in this forum, but is widespread in PM's and other, closed groups where it (the new AIM)is being discussed with much distaste.

Most people are very happy with ALAMY in general, but this new system is not working, and our concerns are not being addressed.

My port is sub 5,000, but I challenge any member of the ALAMY staff to optimise it for me using the new system!

You're hired!

OK, then (and you knew it was coming).

YOU'RE FIRED! :D

You're hired!

Whew that's a relief. Thanks boss. :)

I'm not against this new manage image system and I like some of the new initiatives - mainly the 'exclusive to Alamy' thing. However, what is it bringing to the marketplace? Not a lot IMO. The exclusive thing could have been done years ago. The 'tags' is just another way of calling 'key words' and is causing a lot of grief/problems for people. 

This is a waste of time and money - yes our money - IMO.

Where are the benefits from the percentage grab that was announced as the reason for setting up the New York office??? 

Alamy will continue to make money to the detriment of photographers as we supply them with more and more material to lower prices with. This is the reality. I'm as guilty as the next person. Unfortunately we will be licensing images for less and less in the future. The only winner will be Alamy and any other mega stock agency.

You're hired!

Whew that's a relief. Thanks boss. :)

Arnold is the boss now. I'm just sitting in for him.

We know absolutely nothing about the new system and nor does Alamy. Look what I've just found out - completely in contrast with Alamy's guidelines (or I missed the part that says that caption overrides supertags :huh:). See topic here.

Cheers,

Philippe

Come on Philippe, we do know something - we know it's rubbish.

Pearl

Maybe we could have a thread where those of us who have had specific replies directly from Alamy, post those replies, to answer our questions. Myself and others have done that already but a thread with just those quotes might be an idea.

It is ridiculous though that we have to resort to this sort of thing. I know, I know, "The forums are for discussions between contributors". Yes of course, but getting bogged down in rules and "what it's for" can go too far sometimes. Alamy reads our concerns and surely it's quicker for staff to make a few detailed posts in the forums that they have to write once, than to write different replies with roughly the same information in to every contributor who asks similar questions? Seems logical to me, but going by the new search engine, logic doesn't come into things.

Geoff.

The trouble is even Alamy's replies to emails are inconsistent. 

The trouble is even Alamy's replies to emails are inconsistent. 

You're absolutely right, and I intended to make that point in my post but it slipped my mind. :)

I think sometimes things have been misinterpreted or misunderstood too, and those giving their take of what Alamy have written have slightly changed the meaning. That's why direct quotes would be helpful.

Geoff.

Even direct quotes would maybe just muddy the water, and we can't ask the recipient for clarification.... whereas we could ask someone from ALAMY if they could just spend some time on here!

The public, people considering contributing, and even buyers read these forums (as ALAMY wouldn't privatise them) so they must be perplexed as to why there isn't more participation from the actual company to the very real concerns being expressed!

Maybe we need to compile (a.) our own list of questions, and (b.) contradictory replies from MS/CR, send them to one of the senior people at Alamy, and ask them to give definitive answers ... 

Edit: to try to stop the b in brackets/parentheses from changing into a smiley! 

Well, the fact that no one has managed to find a single thing that "we definitely know" to answer my original question

speaks volumes !

It's all going a bit Donald Rumsfeld ...

" that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know "

Geoff S

It's even more confusing that Geoff S now signs off as Geoff S, as I'm also Geoff S.

Geoff S. ;)

Agreed the other Geoff S should be Geoff S/2 as you were here first. :)

Allan

Archived