The Extra When Doing Our Keywords-To-Tags Edits.

I've been doing the editing updates in the new Alamy IM. It is a lot of work. I'm altering with working from early images forward and recent images backwards. 

Here's something I've found: I'm reluctant to work on certain images . . . which means that I don't really see any reason to keep those images: so should I delete them? Hmm. I'm not sure what to do right now??? 

Edo

I am deleting weaker or out of date images. I do a search on particular subject matter for tagging. I look for weak images, amongst the subject matter selection, and delete them. I try not to move towards an ideal iconic image, but rather leave a nice selection. For instance Niagara Falls in winter, summer, spring, fall, overcast day, sunny day, sunrise, night, vertical, horizontal etc. Within these categories I delete the inferior.

I am probably about 1/3 of the way through. Today I have 705 images deletion pending, and 12385 images all on sale.

Thanks for your thoughts, Betty and Bill. Betty, I'm thinking you might want to keep one or two frames on that "deleted" bridge, as history. ??? And, Bill: I'm not sure how you decide which images are weak. Hmm. 

I have a lot of images of the Freedom Tower in  the WTC at various points in its life. Should I delete the earlier one. Maybe. Or maybe not. It is a puzzlement and maybe guess work either way. 

There's another thread now running about this same subject. 

I just deleted a large set of a crumbling crosstown bridge.

That bridge no longer exists. No longer will chunks of it fall on unsuspecting traffic below.

Never had one sale from the set in all these years. GONE

That's known as "archive". You can put a few back and bypass QC.

I'm not doing any deleting because it sounds as if rank, CTR, etc. may soon become just quaint notions from the past with the new search engine. Apparently, it's all about "discoverability" now. Also,  I'm not sure what a "weak" image is. Sounds pretty subjective to me. I prefer to let the buyers decide.

Betty, I would have kept the bridge. Crumbling infrastructure is a hot topic these days.

I just deleted a large set of a crumbling crosstown bridge.

That bridge no longer exists. No longer will chunks of it fall on unsuspecting traffic below.

Never had one sale from the set in all these years. GONE

That's known as "archive". You can put a few back and bypass QC.
Mark, John, I never thought of archive, or keeping them. Geesh. Okay, I'll find them and reupload, or just contact contributor relations and have them reinstated.

Strange thing. Yesterday I selected all of those 8 Bridge images as a batch. Hit the delete button and saved.

Went back after this conversation to get the image numbers, but they are unchanged. Not deleted. I'll check again when I can be positive there's been a refresh.

Strange thing. Yesterday I selected all of those 8 Bridge images as a batch. Hit the delete button and saved.

Went back after this conversation to get the image numbers, but they are unchanged. Not deleted. I'll check again when I can be positive there's been a refresh.

I thought there was a delay before images were finally deleted by Alamy in case a sale was in the offing or something like that.  I believe the method was to remove all keywords/tags/description so it was searchable.  Also, put them in a separate pseudo.

What happens if you filter by "Discoverablility - Deletion Pending"?

Mine are there with the deletion date in 6 month' time (for those I deleted recently).

I'm generally reluctant to delete, unless I upload a clearly superior shot of an existing scene.

I'm not confident of my ability to judge the salesworthyness of photos, and am often surprised at what does sell.

My two highest $ sales are of shots that have only sold once, and I would not of ranked either of them particularly. One was taken on a dull day and I probably had second thoughts about uploading in the first place!

I seem to recall the good Mr Kilpatrick, when he used to regularly offer sound advice in this forum, recommending that sellers should not try to second guess the detailed requirements of photo editors.

I'm generally reluctant to delete, unless I upload a clearly superior shot of an existing scene.

I'm not confident of my ability to judge the salesworthyness of photos, and am often surprised at what does sell.

My two highest $ sales are of shots that have only sold once, and I would not of ranked either of them particularly. One was taken on a dull day and I probably had second thoughts about uploading in the first place!

I seem to recall the good Mr Kilpatrick, when he used to regularly offer sound advice in this forum, recommending that sellers should not try to second guess the detailed requirements of photo editors.

I'm with Bryan on this. I've been with Alamy since 2004 and am often surprised by how many of the early days photos sell and, by what sells! I've found recently more are selling for the first time since upload 10-13 years ago!  I guess they just have to sit there until the right occasion presents itself along with the buyer. I do cringe at some of them though - dark shadows etc etc but I've never had the time to rework any of these and looking at them now, there are some I would consider deleting if I had the time, but I don't so they stay and pleasantly surprise me when they do sell!  I too remember clearly wondering whether to bother uploading an image with a common subject matter which subsequently sold for $1800 - so like Bryan I try not to second guess the salesworthyness too much, if I found it interesting to photograph, upload and keyword (tag) then maybe someone will find it interesting enough or suitable to license!

I quite agree.

And as to the re-editing, I only do this randomly when my attention is drawn to an image or theme, perhaps in connection with a keyword I want to add. Often it takes a long time as I first have to reduce the number of keywords and retag.

Archived