Commas now being imported?

A batch of images that I uploaded last night has just passed QC, and I was surprised to see in 'Manage your images' that the commas separating my keywords have been left intact. In the past, commas have always been stripped. Is anyone else noticing this change? Did I miss something in one of the discussions of this topic?

P.S. I use Photo Mechanic to do keywording.

A batch of images that I uploaded last night has just passed QC, and I was surprised to see in 'Manage your images' that the commas separating my keywords have been left intact. In the past, commas have always been stripped. Is anyone else noticing this change? Did I miss something in one of the discussions of this topic?

P.S. I use Photo Mechanic to do keywording.

See thread here

I just sent contributors@alamy a message asking how to handle it. I uploaded a photo for the current contest last night and found the commas today too. Also asked when we'll actually see the new keywording tools. I'm hold most uploads until then. Will report back when I hear. 

This sounds right up my alley! It'll be so nice not to have to put the commas back in. There has to be a reason for having them, or Alamy wouldn't be doing it.

Darn...there's the glass half full thing going on again. :) just call me Pollyanna.

Yes, same thing with commas and the space after commas is gone.

I use the "Old System" and did a drag drop into a text editor to replace the commas with spaces then dragged to the appropriate place. Not sure if doing this is a good thing or not, but relatively quick.

Why are you so keen to get rid of the commas? I like them, they work when doing phrases.

This sounds right up my alley! It'll be so nice not to have to put the commas back in. There has to be a reason for having them, or Alamy wouldn't be doing it.

Darn...there's the glass half full thing going on again. :) just call me Pollyanna.

I'm quite reassured by this. It suggest that the commas that we have added in the old MI are likely to be interpreted correctly by the new system.

Although only Alamy know the truth!

Yep, the commas I added in bridge are preserved. Dunno though why they start a new line after each space (in phrases). Seems like a bug.

Cheers,

Philippe

I noticed the new line as well. It's not systematic though, it appears to be random. 

I also keyword in Bridge.

Yep, the commas I added in bridge are preserved. Dunno though why they start a new line after each space (in phrases). Seems like a bug.

Cheers,

Philippe

I noticed the new line as well. It's not systematic though, it appears to be random. 

The "new line" bug doesn't seem to be present in my keywords, which I added in Photo Mechanic (not bridge). Don't know why that would be.

Cheers,

Philippe

The "new line" bug doesn't seem to be present in my keywords, which I added in Photo Mechanic (not bridge). Don't know why that would be.

It only occurs for some phrases, not single keywords.

Cheers,

Philippe

Where are you all seeing those lines? In Manage Images 2.X?

btw GV, here's your bike.

wim

Cheers,

Philippe

wim

Oooh! Thanks for the bike ID. From the Ural to Victoria. Interesting. Interesting character driving it too with his Smurf...

Good point Wim. I was using the old MI but after your post, I checked them in MI 2 and it's the same situation.

For example, here is exactly as I see keywords of one image (without the quotes):

"Australia,Golf Club,Lord Howe Island,New South

Wales,NSW,Oz,Landscape,Nobody,Picturesque,Scene,Scenery,Scenic,View,Vista,Blu

e Sky,Golf

Course,Australian,Flag,Grass,Green,Lifestyle,Outdoors,Outside,Leisure,Sports,Pond,

Water"

Why the new lines in the middle of New South Wales and Golf Course?

Cheers,

Philippe

wim

Oooh! Thanks for the bike ID. From the Ural to Victoria. Interesting. Interesting character driving it too with his Smurf...

Good point Wim. I was using the old MI but after your post, I checked them in MI 2 and it's the same situation.

For example, here is exactly as I see keywords of one image (without the quotes):

"Australia,Golf Club,Lord Howe Island,New South

Wales,NSW,Oz,Landscape,Nobody,Picturesque,Scene,Scenery,Scenic,View,Vista,Blu

e Sky,Golf

Course,Australian,Flag,Grass,Green,Lifestyle,Outdoors,Outside,Leisure,Sports,Pond,

Water"

Why the new lines in the middle of New South Wales and Golf Course?

And not:

Lord

Howe

Island

New

South

Wales

?

Beats me.

wim

It looks like the same system that FAA has - they sometimes have breaks like that after phrases but not always and have no spaces before or after commas. 

I'll just be glad when the new system is on board and we can see how it all shakes out. It will be good to keep phrases together but even with my smallish portfolio the thought of re-keywording everything is a headache. I'm guessing there will be commas between every word and we'll have to go in and delete those that are interrupting phrases. I did a random check and have found weird restrictions or am missing restrictions on some photos but I figure I'll wait and sort it all out in the new year (early in the new year I hope) when the new manage images is up and running so I only have to review everything once. 

It looks like the same system that FAA has - they sometimes have breaks like that after phrases but not always and have no spaces before or after commas.

I'll just be glad when the new system is on board and we can see how it all shakes out. It will be good to keep phrases together but even with my smallish portfolio the thought of re-keywording everything is a headache. I'm guessing there will be commas between every word and we'll have to go in and delete those that are interrupting phrases. I did a random check and have found weird restrictions or am missing restrictions on some photos but I figure I'll wait and sort it all out in the new year (early in the new year I hope) when the new manage images is up and running so I only have to review everything once.

It took me 3 months full time to go through my portfolio and input the brackets [] etc which were never implemented.

Now reviewing 15,000+ images is not bear thinking about. I cannot see how Alamy will avoid putting commas in between each word for existing images.

commas for me too this morning - images keyworded in Lightroom. Does this mean we don't have to use "  "

If you put your phrases between commas before upload, I wouldn't think so.

the commas will be very useful in demarkating phrases........

km

That's why I use commas...

Using speech marks to demark phrases is uneliable.. if you have two or more phrases, words between phrases can also be interpreted as phrases. With commas, there is no such ambiguity.

The line breaks issue is simple. It's just a word wrap "bug". It's been there forever in the old MI. If the display will run out of space on the current line it will break the line at the at the space nearest to the end of the current line. If there are no spaces then it breaks in the middle of a word.

The software should have permitted line breaks after comma or a space.

I've been separating my keywords in the main and comp keywords with commas followed by a space for ages to avoid this display problem.

I'm curious about what will happen to our older images that have brackets? And what if we have two or three keywords between brackets? Will the two or three singles between brackets be treated like a phrase?

I visited a few of my people images last week and removed the brackets and put in commas like I use now.

One of those images sold yesterday.

Coincidence?

My upload on December 12 showed no commas, but my upload Dec. 19 had them.

I guess I'll now have to repeat words in a phrase that are also needed separately.

I have Bridge set up to insert complete phrases in the file’s metadata.

For instance when I go to my controlled vocabulary in Bridge and click on the sub keyword “Rouge Park”. It inserts the following keywords in the file’s metadata. 

Canada; North America; Ontario; park; Rouge National Park; Rouge National Urban Park; Rouge Park; Toronto

Yesterday when ingested by Alamy “;” turns into “,” and the space leading the phrase is eliminated resulting in:

Canada,North America,Ontario,park,Rouge National Park,Rouge National Urban Park,Rouge Park,Toronto

If that is the case, then no re keywording should be necessary for images I submit to the old system today, once I get into the new system. For the above example I might want to add the phrase “National Park” to my controlled vocabulary. This would cover a search like: “National Park” and Canada.

Search engine still seems to be fairly naff - in the last few days I have uploaded 3 images with the word "Hermanus" in the keywords. 2 have it in the caption, the esskey field and the Main key field, and one has it in the caption and main only. 

The one without it in the Esskey field appears first in searches.

No real incentive to keyword at the moment

Zooms significantly down both on month on month and also c/w same time last year  :(

Kumar

Archived