Can you identify a thing?

Maybe it is a new device from the National Trust.

It could have the ability to detect and disable any digital camera over 11 megapixels. As a backup if the camera disable function malfunctions, then the two lower black boxes could send a powerful enough beam to disable the photographer instead.

The only exception would be a gold plated Hasselblad used by any member of the elite classes.

Maybe it is a new device from the National Trust.

It could have the ability to detect and disable any digital camera over 11 megapixels. As a backup if the camera disable function malfunctions, then the two lower black boxes could send a powerful enough beam to disable the photographer instead.

The only exception would be a gold plated Hasselblad used by any member of the elite classes.

All of which depends on whether the pavement qualified as a "public footpath", and as such, if photos taken from said pavement were allowable.

Or not.

More likely not...

:unsure:

Easy -- that's a statue and I think it's Napoleon. Oh, did I mention that I can't tell my right from my left? (There's a lot of hard questions in the forum today.)

I think that is Napoleon. He's reaching into his jacket to retrieve his iPhone by the looks of it. I wonder who he's going to call to congratulate?

Won't go there... B)

I think it's an aerial (antenna) for bus location information, which feeds information from the buses to the stops, telling you how long you have to wait for the next bus.  The Manchester Metrolink tram system has similar antenna at regular intervals throughout the system - see here (not my photo)...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128671785@N04/16718992526/

Alternatively it could be for remote control of street lights.

PS - TMS (in the photo caption) = Tram Management System.

Easy -- that's a statue and I think it's Napoleon. Oh, did I mention that I can't tell my right from my left? (There's a lot of hard questions in the forum today.)

Can't tell your General from your Admiral either ;) Try Nelson instead.

I don't know, Martin -- he looks French to me. 

I think Bill is closest. Although Trafalgar Square is a public place, commercial photography is prohibited. So it's a microphone that picks up shutter clicks and has sophisticated software programmed with data from all models that can detect when a camera more likely to be used by a professional is fired. This enables the CCTV monitors to zoom in and ensure that only personal photos are being shot.

Alan

Morning Edo, I understand your thinking, but the hand apparently tucked into his tunic is actually an empty sleeve. Remember there are not many (total of none?) statues to Napoleon in London, or England for that matter. He was never very popular here! Google "Nelson's column".

It looks very similar to a device I photographed in Bath, Somerset. It turned out to be a monitoring system to detect bat population. In my case it was part of a survey on bats by the University of Bath.

Morning Edo, I understand your thinking, but the hand apparently tucked into his tunic is actually an empty sleeve. Remember there are not many (total of none?) statues to Napoleon in London, or England for that matter. He was never very popular here! Google "Nelson's column".

It looks as if I will have to abadon this theory of Nelson's statue looking French. In the spirt of full exclosure, I must admit to having lived in London for a number of years and in Oxfordshire longer. So I have passed through Trafalgar Square numerous times. Perhaps I was thinking of the de Gaulle statue in Carlton Gardens. 

With regard to the OP's ID problem, I don't know one gizmo from another. If you have a snap of a dog you need identified, let me know.  

Edo

Archived