All in one computer for photo editing

Hi 

I have been using a laptop to do my editing but now thinking of upgrading to an all in one machine, any recommendations without me breaking the bank? Also as a newcomer to stock photography i would appreciate an appraisal of my work if anyone would care to have a quick look!

Personally, I tend to shy away from laptops and all-in-one solutions simply because if one part of the system breaks down or becomes outdated it is so much harder to repair, replace or upgrade.  As long as I am able to work from my home office I will prefer a desktop machine in which individual parts can be replaced and/or upgraded, along with a separate monitor etc.

As regards your portfolio, I like the variety and the vibrant colours. You may be leaning towards have a few too many similars, but only a little so. One word of warning, you have images as RF which cannot possible be so - Flying Scotsman stands out a mile in this respect, but any item of property (or pet) which can be identified by its owner is on shaky ground as RF.  You might also want to note that National Trust get rather ratty about images of their properties; it you  search the forum you will find much discussion on the subject.

OP the NT may get "ratty" but their policy is based on misuse of a by-law. If your images were taken from the road or from outside the pay booth, and it looks as if they may have been, they have no grounds whatever for objecting. I would suggest removing references to the National Trust and adding "seen from the public highway" to the caption. Please don't remove them based on a misconception that you can't license them.

You will find thousand of images of NT properties which the NT didn't put on Alamy. It is abusing its position to try to create a monopoly for its own picture library.

As Joseph says, good variety but maybe bordering on too many similars. Too many similars will lower your ranking.  I would change your images to RM.

Allan

Nick, I'd go with a modest desktop for your photo work for the reasons already given; you can easily repair and or/replace single components. If you want to add a drive, upgrade a monitor, or replace a power supply, a desktop will be a bit more practical.

And good luck with your work here!

An all-in-one computer is sort of like an all-in-one BBQ-Grill-Oven-Microwave, it can do everything to an extend, but at a very questionable level. 

Personally I prefer to build computers myself to purpose.

Definitely recommend a desktop with a resonable graphics card and a good monitor.

Memory and harddisk depend very much on what you want to do with your pictures. 

If you do some serious editing, you really want to add a high end processor with 6, 8 or more cores, also lots of memory and hard disk may enter into that equation. 

Building a computer is not really that difficult, it is just a handful of components that just need to be plugged together. 

Case, motherboard, processor, memory, hard-disk, graphics-card, done.

Finally add a monitor, keyboard and mouse on top, thats it.  

I think you'll find that the deer in Chatsworth Park are Fallow Deer not Roe Deer.  Chatsworth House is also very bolshie about photography in the grounds.  So good luck with these.

Chris

Thats an english word I did not yet know of - learn something everyday :)

Whoa! I'm a native English speaker and I didn't know "bolshie" either! 

Chris, you'll have to explain this usage in more detail, inquiring minds and language learners want to know. That being said, I'll join in the lesson after Nick builds his new computer.

Whoa! I'm a native English speaker and I didn't know "bolshie" either! 

Chris, you'll have to explain this usage in more detail, inquiring minds and language learners want to know. That being said, I'll join in the lesson after Nick builds his new computer.

It's a bit like "Leninie" I believe.

Ah Ленин you mean, so bolshi is a short form for болсхевик, hence bolshevik  :) 

(apologies if I misspelled the russian words, I am only basic at that) 

I agree with Joseph. Some monitors will last ten years or more, others fail before the warranty is up, and getting an internal monitor replaced is a pain.

I'm currently using a 2012 Mac Mini with 16gb ram, a 1tb internal drive, and two external drives. I have a cheap LG IPS display I picked for $150 when I bought the Mac. The display isn't great but it does the job. The only downside to the Mac Mini is I wish it had more than 4 USB ports. The best part about a separate monitor is that you can use it with your laptop too.

fD

I see the issue of ports and replacement parts as more important than other benchmarks of overall performance or usability. When ports and/or card readers fail, I want to just slap in another, not seek out an expensive expert or complex repair. Nick, do you live near one of those big-box computer stores like Micro Center or PC Warehouse? A bit of shopping to check out these things can bring some clarity to the situation.

And even though I really appreciate that it was posted, that translation (or perhaps de-romanization?) of the the word "bolshie" makes the usage even less comprehensible to me. To this American anyway, British English will always be baffling.

Chatsworth House is also very bolshie about photography in the grounds.  So good luck with these.

Chris

I'd suggest the OP follows the David Kilpatrick protocol, as I and many here do.

If you're not prevented from taking photographs, and they were taken lawfully, you may do as you wish with them but don't shout about it.

For the assistance of our overseas friends "bolshie" is used to describe the behaviour of persons who have a very small amount of power in a very limited field, such as park-keepers, security guards and trade union officials.

Ah Ленин you mean, so bolshi is a short form for болсхевик, hence bolshevik   :) 

Yes, "Bolshie" is short for "Bolshevik".  Awkward, obstinate, obtuse, obstructive, etc.  

Apologies to our Russian colleagues.

Chris

You need to do some work on your keywording.  You have a nice shot of a Syrian refugee woman talking on a cell phone yet you don't mention that the refugee is a woman or that she is talking on the cell phone.  Be thorough in your keywording without putting in stuff that is not at all relevant.

You have a shot of two people standing outside a classic Oldsmobile, but you don't mention its a convertible or that the passenger door is open. Also white interior.

Jill

buy an imac. A secondhand one with  a  21  screen can be bought for about £300. Perfectly OK for Photoshop etc. I have and use two and I also have a powermac  G5 dual 2.8 from about 2009 which is very fast and used for my video. I use a basic 23inch apple monitor with it and it has 4 1000 megbt drives installed in it.  Times have gone when it is worth investing 1000s. All the apple monitors are very stable, but beware buying a 24 or 27 cinema display unless you are sure they have had little use, as the LCD screen  drives tend to fail rendering them useless.

Ah Ленин you mean, so bolshi is a short form for болсхевик, hence bolshevik   :) 

Yes, "Bolshie" is short for "Bolshevik".  Awkward, obstinate, obtuse, obstructive, etc.  

Apologies to our Russian colleagues.

Chris

Obtuse is such a beautiful word!

I've used an iMac for years, only upgraded to a second one to get the larger screen and a bigger hard drive. I assume my images look good, they do to me.

You'll take my iMac away from me over my cold, dead body.

Are there better options? Probably. Do I need them? No.

Is what I have good enough to process images well? Does it do what I ask of it? A resounding YES.

Betty

Thank you all for your very constructive comments, think i will have a couple of hours on my key wording now! i do find royalty free and rights managed a bit confusing! think i will stick with RM in future .

Archived