I  have sent a dozen claims for unauthorized usages of my pictures to Alamy since the form was made available.  I'm hoping for results since my sales have been plumetting to depressing levels during the last months.

Does anybody know if Alamy seems to be successful in retrieving the money owed for those stolen images?

Thank you. 

I have only 1 waiting that Alamy contacted me about, it's early days and these claims can take a very long time.

Question;  are you exclusive to Alamy?  otherwise sending infringed images that may have been licensed or (stolen)  from other sources might be rejected by Alamy,  then again if the images are infringed i would think Alamy could chase them no matter where they came from as most are stolen from the internet as copy and paste.

" of course the infringed image would have to be on the Alamy site"

Paul.

Alamy contacted me about a potential unauthorised use they were chasing up. Following that I sent about thirty uses of two other images that have gone (in a small way) viral. I am looking forward to huge sums flooding my way. I'll keep you posted.

I sent information to Alamy of an unpaid use - a web site, complete with the Alamy watermark on it. I provided the link, screenshot, image number etc and they sent me the form. I filled in the form, resupplied all the information I'd previously sent. Today I got this very frustrating email:

"Unfortunately, we can’t chase this particular usage for you as it’s outside the territories in which we can chase"

I wish they'd told me that in the first place, to save everyone's time!

I sent information to Alamy of an unpaid use - a web site, complete with the Alamy watermark on it. I provided the link, screenshot, image number etc and they sent me the form. I filled in the form, resupplied all the information I'd previously sent. Today I got this very frustrating email:

"Unfortunately, we can’t chase this particular usage for you as it’s outside the territories in which we can chase"

I wish they'd told me that in the first place, to save everyone's time!

So what xxx xxxx xxxxxxx?

wim

edit:

oops strike that. Stupid question on an open forum. Do not answer.

Feind hört mit.

I think that's what Wim didn't want to reveal. If you ask MS for the form they will tell you, privately.

Yes thank you. Impulse management (aka reason) kicked in 3 minutes later.

wim

this was the reference:

even-the-walls-british-ww2-poster-design

events-first-world-war-wwi-propaganda-ac

what's all those cats doing in the search walls have ears?

I got this today:

"We haven’t had much luck chasing the website studiowallpapers.com for the use of your image AJR0XT  and have closed the query from our end.

However if you’d like to chase this yourself , please go ahead."

I don't feel lucky either.

• 11 months later...

Yes, I've had several positive outcomes, all from ones I've advised Alamy of. I've not received any via Picscout although there are a few of mine they are pursuing.

The majority of quickly resolved payments, for me, are ones in UK or Scandinavian newspapers which are already clients of Alamy and usually I am advised that these will be billed the following month. My issue with these ones are you just get the current rate. For example I received $5.71 this month for one which has been used sine 2012 and the sale shows:

Start: 01 April 2016

End: 01 April 2021
One use in a single editorial or advertorial article used within web versions of titles from the same group. Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article. Country: United Kingdom

It cost me more to find the article, print out a copy of the article, take a screen shot, fill out all the details including pasting screen shots, copying links and adding the company contact/phone number etc into the Alamy form (which is dreadful and very difficult to paste into) than I received and this doesn't include the time and expense to set-up, take and process the image. I don't understand why there is no penalty clause in contracts and payment for images not reported via the self billing process. Other organisations seem quick to slap on extra admin fees, don't see why we shouldn't get paid for our extra research and admin in finding infringements.

I do, however, believe we should chase every one otherwise it will just continue as normal practice and not be realised that this is theft. Until organisations/people/schools are made to pay a higher rate in compensation, then they will just get away with this crime.

I have also successful chased ones that Alamy advised they were not going to follow-up on - and negotiated a fair price.

For the 2012 one I'd be confirming with Alamy that it wasn't licenced until last month, then going to court over it. They've been infringing for 4 years, for heaven's sake.

You may need an English address to go to IPEC.

So reading this thread, it seems Alamy never has any success chasing unathorised usage of pics. Has there ever been a successful outcome?

Many people have reported (low fee) payments for infringements in their sales reports.  Alamy do seem inordinately slow in chasing these up though (I have been waiting many months now for a couple which other organisations are dying to chase up for me) and payouts seem to be unjustifiably poor.

Archived