How is everyone doing so far this year? 

We're a third of the way into the year (4 months completed out of 12), so to get a rough idea of how you're doing compared with last year, on the dashboard graph, hover over the 2015 dot and multiple the number you see by three. Then compare this with the number you get when you hover over the 2014 dot. Then click on 'Revenue' at the top of the graph and repeat (I think commission was the same throughout 2014 until now, so the comparison should be OK). 

Doing that, I'm on course for roughly the same number of sales this year as last, but 30% less revenue. This is with around 15% more images than this time last year. 

It would be interesting to see how this compares with others. I'm hoping that that most will show a more positive trend than mine ;-) 

Sale numbers up by 34%, Gross income up by 5%, numbers of images on sale up by 15% c/w the first 4m of last year. 

I usually find that sales improve through the year, particularly the last 4m of the year

Kumar

My sales volume is so (depressingly) low, that you may take the following with a pinch of salt...

I am seemingly in the wrong place.

Jan-Apr 14  - - -  Jan-Apr 15

Number of images on sale up by approx. 35%; sales volume halved; gross income 1/6 of last year's.

If I could live on current CTR, I'd be laughing - and CTR for the last 12 months equals the Alamy average. But that won't put bread on the table.  With a good CTR and SFA in sales, I am only left to assume that buyers aren't liking the bigger picture...?

Losing the will...

Much better in 2015.

Jan 2014 - May 2014 I had 990 files online. I had 2 sales grossing $47

In 2015 I have 1950 images in main library and 260 Stockimo I have made 3 sales grossing $298

this trend is exciting, I've learnt a lot and have a long way to go.

I've more than doubled my revenue from last year but I'd done that by Feb and not had anything licenced since. Annoyingly this is primarily because 2014 was so rubbish. The previous few years show an upwards trend then bam, close to nothing last year.

The first quarter of 2015 was very slow. I averaged fewer than five sales per month compared to ten per month last year. Things picked up in April, in both number of licenses and revenue. However, my crystal ball remains cloudy as ever.

Extrapolating from the first 4 months to the full year ( always a dangerous thing to do! ) annual sales up by 18% and gross revenue up by 26%. compared to last year.

Looking at the trend, not such a rosy picture with April well down compared to average. 

Too much uncertainty and randomness to be meaningful, let's wait until the end of the year!

Interesting results so far - some up, some down. Let's keep them coming! 

I've had more low-value newspaper sales and fewer of those $160-250 textbook sales (which to be honest are what keep me motivated here, as they're they seem to comprise the majority of the higher value sales). That perhaps explains my 30% drop in gross revenue compared with the same period last year. Anyone else seeing a similar trend? Hopefully I'm the odd one out and those textbook sales will bounce back later in the year ;-)

Like David textbooks have dropped off the radar, but they do tend to be seasonal - just like schools and universities.  I too am only really here for the textbooks which use my old environmental science coverage (mainly 1990 - 2000).  For low end markets (nearly everything editorial here - other than books - now seems low end), unless images are distributed on a mass scale, the end doesn't justify the means. 

Commercial buyers?  Flyers, brochures etc?  Engineering, science, tech, legal, insurance?  Buyers are regularly sourcing editorial collections for the right image for a particular project.  Haven't had any of those in a while, but get them elsewhere.

Robert - what seasonality do you notice for textbook images?

I've just checked through my old sales and notice that those in round US$ in the $160-250 range tend to be in the final quarter of each year. Let's hope that trend continues this year! 

How is everyone doing so far this year? 

We're a third of the way into the year (4 months completed out of 12), so to get a rough idea of how you're doing compared with last year, on the dashboard graph, hover over the 2015 dot and multiple the number you see by three. Then compare this with the number you get when you hover over the 2014 dot. Then click on 'Revenue' at the top of the graph and repeat (I think commission was the same throughout 2014 until now, so the comparison should be OK). 

Doing that, I'm on course for roughly the same number of sales this year as last, but 30% less revenue. This is with around 15% more images than this time last year. 

It would be interesting to see how this compares with others. I'm hoping that that most will show a more positive trend than mine ;-) 

On track for same number of sales and very similar revenue. I've got about 25% more images on line, so I was hoping for more, but the numbers are too small to draw reliable conclusions from just first 4 months.  :(

Robert - what seasonality do you notice for textbook images?

I've just checked through my old sales and notice that those in round US$ in the $160-250 range tend to be in the final quarter of each year. Let's hope that trend continues this year! 

Here and elsewhere, they tend to bunch up at the end of the year and then even more so early to late summer.  These are nearly all UK books (and multi-media).  The OU/OUP/CUP are more variable.  I don't have much info on textbook sales in other countries, as I hardly have any through Alamy, and otherwise they are sold via distributors. 

In 2014, my textbook licenses appeared mainly in Jan-Mar and Sept-Dec, with a couple of exceptions. None are listed specifically as UK sales. However, quite a few are "worldwide," so I guess some of those could be UK publishers.

Thanks, Robert and John. Here's hoping for a strong bunch of textbook sales this northern hemisphere summer. That would be a nice antidote to the winter chill down here ;-) 

A good proportion of my sales are 'worldwide' textbook sales not in round US$ figures - I would guess that a lot of these are UK-based. However, these tend to be for significantly less than the round US$ ones - mostly well under $100 gross, with a few exceptions. I can't see any pattern in those - they seem to occur throughout the year. 

Have made 50% of my 2014 sales after just 4 months. Very happy. Have added around 1500 photos over the past 8 months. Up to nearly 4400.

Archived