October Challenge Voting v2

Ed Endicott

We had quite a few submissions for October.  The instructions for the challenge were:

One image - captured within 5 kilometers of your home.

The finalists listed in the pole 1) only submitted one image; and 2) had the most 'likes' (greenies) given to their image during the month at the time of this posting - in this instance 3 or better.  I think that's a fair way to narrow things down.

Voting will close on November 5 - NOTE IMAGES ARE IN TWO SEPARATE POSTS BECAUSE OF FORUM LIMITATIONS

Thanks and good luck everyone!

Abiyoyo

Ice_cream_van_in_a_isolated_beach_in_Lyt

Allan Bell

Greylag_goose_family_Milton_Cambridgeshi

AlbertSnapper

Interior_of_a_living__dining_room_in_a_C

Joseph Clemson

Closing_down_notice_written_in_large_whi

British Gent

Two_ponies_in_a_South_Wales_valley_near_

The finalists listed in the pole 1) only submitted one image; and 2) had the most 'likes' (greenies) given to their image during the month at the time of this posting - in this instance 3 or better.  I think that's a fair way to narrow things down.

Not that I care as this is just for fun but what you're saying simply isn't true - it's not fair to those who post towards the end of the month. And nobody said that you should give greenies to the pictures in the first round of voting.  I would suggest that going forwards there be another method of selecting the shortlist.

Anyway, thanks for running it.

Mike, this is exactly what I was trying to avoid.

In my first attempt, I wanted to have everyone up to vote....I tried, but unfortunately that didn't work out (hence the v2).  I was asked to narrow it down to 8 and to include all images in the voting thread.  I didn't want to be the judge of that.  The polling options allow for only 20 slots...I tried to narrow it down to those that had two or more likes and I had 21 images.  Hence I went down to 3 or more.

The images were fantastic, my favorite image was not included based on the way the polling results ended up, but a method had to be chosen...and that's what I did.

My apologies if you feel there is ill-will or if you feel it was not fair.  I've put up the polling thread twice - it takes a lot of time and much more effort than I expected.  Maybe next time post more toward the beginning of the month?  You might also note that the most votes/likes/"greenies" came up on page 3 (collectively).

Thanks.

Not that I care as this is just for fun but what you're saying simply isn't true - it's not fair to those who post towards the end of the month. And nobody said that you should give greenies to the pictures in the first round of voting.  I would suggest that going forwards there be another method of selecting the shortlist.

Anyway, thanks for running it.

It is usually different. Ed has gone his own way. Nothing wrong with that but the usual Challenge is 3 images from each photographer and the person running the Challenge picks a shortlist -- usually 8 images. I am embarrassed to say I did not give anyone any greenies. I actually object to the entire red and green system so I give greenies to people who have received the dreaded red vote to cancel that out and pretty much ignore the greenies the rest of the time. So none of us knew that we should give greenies to images we liked. Ah well. I thank those who gave me greenies.

Paulette

oops I put up two images since I was unaware about this 1 image rule. but it doesn't matter anyways, I'm glad a lot of people liked my solar eclipse picture and that's what makes me happy and motivates me. I will vote for the underdog. :-)

Absolutely, which is why I wasn't joking when I wrote, in an earlier competition, how relieved I was to have never won the prize of running our next competition.

I've been a judge in some major competitions (for publications), but I had No relationship with any of the competitors, unlike here where we're fellow forum members, buddies.

Can totally relate to Ed's difficulty in narrowing the field.

But this is what judging any competition involves.

Alan

My apologies if you feel there is ill-will

Absolutely not, good of you to run the competition, I can see how tough it is!  As I said before, I know that it's for fun and I had no intention of "escalating" things.

Thanks,

Mike

I do like the "one photo per contributor" development, but definitely don't like the shortlisting based on greenies. I prefer the responsibility of shortlisting to fall with the winner . . . YOMD of course, and that's fine by me too :-)

dd

I think that the one photo idea is good for going ahead with now that so many people are participating.

However, don't think the greenie should become a general measure for selecting the finalists; it should be down to the subjective judgement of the person running that months challenge.  B)

Well done Ed for getting it down to a more manageable vote  ;)

I think that the one photo idea is good for going ahead with now that so many people are participating.

Dunno, I think a lot has to do with the subject. If the challenge was about "cars" you'd see a lot of participants because everybody can shoot a car. But if it was about "classic cars", the entries would be a lot less and I think 3 images/photographer would be very reasonable.

Anyway, the initial purpose of these challenges is to give people inspiration. I'd say, "the more images, the better"  ^_^

Cheers,

Philippe

I'm thinking of the number of photos the poor judge has to sort through ^_^ , though it's also a good point about how to word the challenge to make it more specific.  ;)

All in fun

Andy

Indeed.

An observation though, if I may.

If we're going to use greenies for shortlisting, we may as well use greenies as the voting mechanism.

For me, it should be either-or. Either the judge shortlists and we have a vote via the poll OR the images are posted and participants vote with greenies.

And if we're voting with greenies, no votes should be cast until all entries are in.

Please don't take this as me criticising Ed as I'm all for new approaches and ideas. As I said, I am making an observation.

At the end of the day, nobody's died and it's just a bunch of snappers having a bit of fun.

In fact, you don't have to think very hard about it. When you look at the submissions, those images where you pause a fraction longer are most likely the ones that will end in your shortlist. Call it a "gut feeling"  ;) 

Cheers,

Philippe

Yes, yes....I agree - and that's why I opted for narrowing things down the way I did.  My thoughts were if someone took the time to add a greenie, then that same someone stopped and said "wow" at that image. :)

In fact, you don't have to think very hard about it. When you look at the submissions, those images where you pause a fraction longer are most likely the ones that will end in your shortlist. Call it a "gut feeling"  ;) 

Cheers,

Philippe

Yes, yes....I agree - and that's why I opted for narrowing things down the way I did.  My thoughts were if someone took the time to add a greenie, then that same someone stopped and said "wow" at that image. :)

It is a bit of a tough call for anyone who entered at the end of the last day.

Well, it looks like voting has officially closed.  Congratulations to Graham Morely on winning the October challenge.  It's time for you to choose the November topic and move forward with the November competition.

Congratulations!

Archived