News images 'rejected. File not accessible'

Ever since my first news upload, I've been plagued with 'Rejected. File not accessible.' Today it took me over an hour to upload 14 files - over six batches. Each time, I have to write down which ones uploaded successfully so that I don't upload the same photo twice, and even then, one was repeated.

I mentioned this before, and most people said they had no problems. I accept other people's experience may well be different. However, can anyone suggest why this happens to me (almost) every time? I tried not doing anything else online while images were uploading, even closing other windows, but it made no difference.Note that the files are accessible. Eventually, over many uploads, they all go up, without me changing them in any way. TIA. Windows, constantly updated Firefox.

Because of the long time it takes, have you looked at the spin-up time of your hdd? Maybe it goes to sleep in between and has trouble waking up. Settings are usually somewhere under advanced power management.

wim

I think Wim may have the answer, either that or you have a slightly flaky hard disk or controller which is not always reading cleanly so it thinks it cannot see the file. I suspect it is the computer. I would get the disk checked out as if that is the case it will fail completely at some point. If you have a backup copy (you do of course?) you could try running defragmentation on it (choose disk in windows explorer->properties->tools)- that will tidy the data up and may also find bad sectors and take them out of use - if it finds a lot something is wrong with the hardware.

You could try copying the files to a memory stick and uploading from that or, if you have one, try uploading from a different computer. That would show whether there was an issue with your PC.

Like others I have had no significant issues uploading to news that were not due to a poor public wifi or weak 4G phone connection.

I have never had a problem uploading news (apart from me messing up the captions).

I only upload to news via FTP.

However, I was working alongside someone a couple of weeks ago at a music festival who was using the web interface to upload via 3g and they didn't have any issues either.

I'm not convinced it's the HD (though it's obviously a possibility) - the normal uploads work properly as do uploads to other agencies. I also got the same error with my previous computer.

I always use Firefox. However, having checked, I see FF now has only c17% of the market share. Are those of you who don't upload using FTP using Chrome?

I'll apply for FTP, but I'm not sure I upload enough to have the request granted. Not much happens down here in the sticks!

Thanks all.

I'm not convinced it's the HD (though it's obviously a possibility) - the normal uploads work properly as do uploads to other agencies. I also got the same error with my previous computer.

I always use Firefox. However, having checked, I see FF now has only c17% of the market share. Are those of you who don't upload using FTP using Chrome?

I'll apply for FTP, but I'm not sure I upload enough to have the request granted. Not much happens down here in the sticks!

Thanks all.

I have used FTP as well, but the last many times I have used Chrome and the online upload...

Pretty sure your FTP solution will work...

I use Firefox and Windows 7 and I've not had a problem using either the FTP or the normal route.

I'm not sure what you mean by "not accessible".  Generally, I upload, then about 10 minutes later, I can edit the images in Manage Your Images under the "Images Ready" section.....if an editor hasn't already beat me to it, I then add copyright information to the description.  It does take up to a good solide 10 minutes though for the images to show in Manage Your Images.

Have you also tried updating your Java applet?  That could be another reason I would consider if it's happening upon upload.

@Ed: some files go up no bother first time. Other random files are tried 5 times then I get a message 'Rejected. File not accessible'. I have no idea what that means, and since the files all do go up after several uploading attempts, it's clearly nothing wrong with the files.

Sorry, I have no idea what Java applet you're talking about, or how I would upload it, unless it was something we had to do when we were invited to News and I just followed instructions. I'm not remotely techie.

However, I do have four external HDD and will try to remember to upload via one of these when next I have something to upload to news/sport/entertainment. Could be a while!

The normal upload route uses a Java based software program in order to upload files.  Java is installed on your computer but the driver may not be up to date.  Here is where you can find updates...

https://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Here's a quick explanation of what Java is

https://java.com/en/download/whatis_java.jsp

Nothing AFAIK. I didn't say Javascript was an issue. Just that the thing runs on Javascript not Java. It's a common misconception. 

However the box in which the files are actually uploaded, is made in Flash.

So that would be the first thing to check.  Flash is known to cause trouble (that may well be because it's everywhere, not because Steve Jobs was right).

Personally I think Flash is good for making things look good.

There's a whole bunch of other things you could try and check.

Check your files: are the jpgs baseline, not progressive? (Photoshop uses progressive for all it's own automated actions and does not revert to your own settings after that.)

Are the file names regular? The path's name valid? No weird characters?

If it's a user rights conflict, the idea to use an external drive will probably do the trick as they do not seem to be governed by user rights.

If it's the spin-up of the HDD, you will probably experience the odd crash after a break as well.

wim

I had some some similar uploading difficulties awhile ago. They disappeared after I changed the "sleep" setting on my computer -- i.e. I lengthened the time my computer would wait before it went into sleep mode. If, like me, you have a slow-ish Internet connection, this might just do the trick.

I had some some similar uploading difficulties awhile ago. They disappeared after I changed the "sleep" setting on my computer -- i.e. I lengthened the time my computer would wait before it went into sleep mode. If, like me, you have a slow-ish Internet connection, this might just do the trick.

That was why it was my first hunch: power settings too stingy.

However I would be the first to blame Flash, especially if there had been more complaints like this at the same time.

After Crypto's answer that the same problem occurred on an earlier computer, PEBKAC is not to rule out.

wim

I'm not sure how PEBKAP could cause some images uploaded at the same time to be successful and others not to.

Not predicting any news/sport/entertainment soon, but if/when something happens, I'll take a screenshot.

However, I accept that the problem is at my end, since others don't experience it.

I'll try the sleep mode thing first, then uploading from a different HD if lenghthening the sleep time doesn't work.

I do have a slow-ish connection, but it's not like the first three go up and the next ones are 'unaccessible', it seems completely random.

Later: seems it can't be my sleep settings - this is how they were set by default:

sleep.jpg

Actually, it would be far easier not to bother with news. The local papers just use free pics from phones and the larger papers send people to 'known events'.

If I do anything again, I'll try the different HD route and if that doesn't work, I'm probably losing nothing (never sold anything off the news feed, and only one subsequently as stock that I can remember) and saving a lot of time and frustration.

(Of course, if it wasn't for this frustration, I might have made more effort: chicken and egg.)

Tx all.

I use FTP for news but often have the same issue using safari on a mac uploading reportage. I note down the files in error and hen select tem at the end when prompted by he "any more files message" the remaining always upload then ok. I personally blame flash but am probably wrong... For some reason maybe the os is not granting flash access to hose files for a sec but I'm not sure what causes it.... It's a pain....

Well this happened to me yesterday; It was the second image in a group of 10.

When the upload got to the end I clicked again on the Choose JPEG button and in the dialog box chose the file that was rejected, clicked upload and it went through ok.

So a new mystery, what happened & why??? Am also on a iMAC with Safari.

I now have the FTP route but I used to have the same problem frequently. I found it happened if I was doing ANYTHING ELSE on the internet at the same time. If I left the computer alone while it was going on I didn't have problems, but it seemed that if I was doing anything online while a file was finishing or beginning, it came up as an error. 

Try leaving the computer alone, see if that works.

I'm not sure how PEBKAP could cause some images uploaded at the same time to be successful and others not to.

Not predicting any news/sport/entertainment soon, but if/when something happens, I'll take a screenshot.

However, I accept that the problem is at my end, since others don't experience it.

I'll try the sleep mode thing first, then uploading from a different HD if lenghthening the sleep time doesn't work.

I do have a slow-ish connection, but it's not like the first three go up and the next ones are 'unaccessible', it seems completely random.

Later: seems it can't be my sleep settings - this is how they were set by default:

sleep.jpg

Actually, it would be far easier not to bother with news. The local papers just use free pics from phones and the larger papers send people to 'known events'.

If I do anything again, I'll try the different HD route and if that doesn't work, I'm probably losing nothing (never sold anything off the news feed, and only one subsequently as stock that I can remember) and saving a lot of time and frustration.

(Of course, if it wasn't for this frustration, I might have made more effort: chicken and egg.)

Tx all.

You will be looking for the time for your harddisk(s) to go to sleep.

In the active power setting, go to something like advance power settings

Look for the Hard disk entry.

Open it and check the setting. Anything longer than the time of an upload session that has gone wrong is fine.

Mine were at 10 minutes at one time for 3 of the 4 hdds and that was the cause for problems similar to yours, because the files sat at one of the snoozing disks, not at the one that was awake.

Why PEBCAK? - Sorry for the slightly condescending acronym - Indeed just because not a lot of people are having the same problem at the same time.

I'm not aware of a similar acronym that would describe a fault made by programmers messing up while updating an otherwise perfectly sound program.

(With Firefox that would be really useful.)

I said it's not to rule out. Meaning if anybody knows about a personal setting influencing or inducing this behavior, that would be really helpful.

You could check memory usage too, for the same reason as the spin-up time: if your machine is at the max of it's physical memory (tell tale sign: lots of disk activity), it will dump everything that it's not doing just now, somewhere on a disk. If a lengthy task suddenly needs something dug up, that may take just too long.

Bad memory will have similar effects, but it would be apparent in almost everything you do on your computer.

In another tread someone mentioned Alamy tinkering with the upload procedure.  The effect that had been noticed was that the old limit of 25Mb all of a sudden was re-introduced.

I can only think of the baseline/progressive setting as being similarly problematic, but there could be others of course. Using the wrong IPTC fields come to mind.

wim

I now have the FTP route but I used to have the same problem frequently. I found it happened if I was doing ANYTHING ELSE on the internet at the same time. If I left the computer alone while it was going on I didn't have problems, but it seemed that if I was doing anything online while a file was finishing or beginning, it came up as an error. 

Try leaving the computer alone, see if that works.

I would even suggest to restart the computer for just this task and not having any other window open in the browser other than the upload one.

Your problem looks like a memory management fault.

(disclaimer: I'm an absolute amateur in this field - I am not a programmer.)

wim

I had the same rejected file problem yesterday whilst trying to upload news. The second and third images went red and the upload process was very slow compared to normal uploads. I found someone else in the house was using the internet at the same time. When they stopped my upload went through much faster and I was able to redo the two that had been rejected.

Pearl.

OK, did another news batch on Friday night, as an experiment. Seems I can't do anything else with the computer or any files uploading at the same time will be 'unaccessible' and "rejected" on upload.

The same files went up and were successfully ingested when I tried again, not doing anything else on the computer.

As a control, I uploaded some non-news last night. I can even watch YouTube video without the file upload aborting, though of course, it goes up more slowly.

Hmmm.

Archived