Today's forklift picture

I would have uploaded it but the danger in that type of image is you risk chromatic aberration.  If the image worked out, I would have done it no problem.  I see a lot of commercial use potential in that image (from internal presentations to annual reports, etc.).

I'd have submitted it. There is a difference I think between blown out background like this and blown out detail that is important to the image. Things like blown out windows or sun on water are OK. 

Col

True. One sees this style of lighting in interior magazines all the time. Alamy QC is pretty savvy about various kinds of shots that bust the "rules." 

I'd have submitted it. There is a difference I think between blown out background like this and blown out detail that is important to the image. Things like blown out windows or sun on water are OK. 

Col

True. One sees this style of lighting in interior magazines all the time. Alamy QC is pretty savvy about various kinds of shots that bust the "rules." 

I'm with Colin and Ed. There is no reason to not submit strongly back-lit subjects, and there have been several examples on Alamy's splash-page in the past.

dd

It crossed my mind too when I first saw the image. I have a very careful approach to blown highlights and it's unlikely that I'd submit similar but it's certainly helpful to see how the 'rules' are flexibly applied.

E09MJ0.jpg

The Jury is out on this one, although I admire the forklift  image. I worried  about a QC fail, when I submitted an image taken on a ski-run  showing the sun low in the Sky with quite a lot of  lens flair. I did get it  through QC though!

I think Alamy is capable of distinguishing creativity from record keeping.  If an image doesn't give at least one 'rule' a poke in the eye then it is probably just a visual record, whereas a dull image with purple fringing or whacked highlights is both dull and incompetent.

Not just the rules applicable to QC ... of course.

I would say John's ski-run is greatly improved by the flare.  In fact some editors would have rejected it without that.

If it's sharp at 100% and no chromatic aberrations, etc, then YES (though personally might have brought it down just a half stop or so). If you're worried about submitting images like this, you're looking at all the wrong things in an image. It is indeed a very commercial oriented image, and as Robert mentioned there is a lot of sales potential. Even more so as it has BOTH a MR and PR available.

-Jason

Failure is a part of life.

A "perfect" record is not perfect. It means you are not taking enough risk.

Fear of failure will stop your life. Like a prehistoric insect encased in amber.

Have a greenie: you've just given me a virtual boot up the backside, thank you :) !

I guess the rules are there to create a workable standard. A great pic is a great pic, even if it breaks the standard rules. At the end of the day if it can sell then it would be foolish to reject it on a self imposed technicality.

dov

Nothing wrong with the technical quality of that image in my opinion.

Here's one of mine, this one has lens flare too.

C7MKYA.jpg

Alamy QC will always have to consider the content to some degree, you can't see the technical quality completely separate from it. Also think about shallow depth of field, sunset silhouettes, motion blur etc.

Nothing wrong with the technical quality of that image in my opinion.

Here's one of mine, this one has lens flare too.

C7MKYA.jpg

Alamy QC will always have to consider the content to some degree, you can't see the technical quality completely separate from it. Also think about shallow depth of field, sunset silhouettes, motion blur etc.

Very nice "non-standard" shot. I agree, content has to enter into the equation at some point. It's a bit like the old "form Vs. content" arguments that go on in art schools -- i.e. can you really separate the two.

Archived