Stockimo now you can upload photos from your iPhone to sell on here

If you want to upload to Stockimo you have to 'allow access to your photos.'

Does that mean they can access all your photos or just the ones you upload?

I haven't tried it yet but that is probably an iPhone message. It's asking permission to access the photos on your phone.

If you want to upload to Stockimo you have to 'allow access to your photos.'

Does that mean they can access all your photos or just the ones you upload?

I haven't tried it yet but that is probably an iPhone message. It's asking permission to access the photos on your phone.

I think so, too.

Normally there is a message about access to the camera roll that you have to accept, but not in this case. A clean installation without asking these questons. Normally you would also have access to various app settings in the phone settings, but the app doesn't appear here.

Another thing that puzzled me, why does the app not use the gps location - I know some other apps in this field do.

i found this quality image on page one:

S000T8

Oh lord..... I thought those food shots were bad, but heck, that is so bad it's funny  :lol:

I think I maybe working on my last bunch of images for Alamy for a while, I see carnage here if they are going to bury everything with that level of imagery. No point spending time developing quality images to have them buried by stuff like that!

S000T8

And that got through the image assessment (burnt out highlights and blocked upshadows - even at thrumbnail/zoom size? Alamy might as well throw away the camera black list and reassign QC staff. They are clearly no longer needed.

I'm sorry but the comments on comparing to QC I just don't understand !

There is a NON QC route for Archive and Editorial now and these images are marked as such... Im jumping to a conclusion but I'm assuming Stockimo images will be (should be ) similarly marked.

As for finding 

• We’ll introduce a filter for Stockimo shots in the future. For now, to see them, search ‘Stockimo’ under contributor name in advanced search

Lots of iPhone images are already marketed and licensed around the world

The iPhone (Camera) is still a camera and can be used well or poorly.. Reading the info - all images still go through an approval process so hopefully they won't clutter with dross.

I have been thinking about the licensing of my iPhone images for a year or so - I don't see my iPhone images competing with my main stock...

Is it really a surprise that an agency such as Alamy wants a piece of the action??

Just a thought - but the person that is licensing a iPhone image, who is looking for an iPhone image is NOT looking for a standard run-of-the mill stock image but looking for something  a bit different (filters & all)?

I am not sure wether it is a good or bad thing (at the moment I cannot see any good) the images being in the main library and appearing in main searches -  I would expect the filter to be there from day one.

I respect all the views posted above and but can we stop this "TUNNEL VISION" ? The industry is  changing, evolving and we all need to change with it!

A tree, a lamp and a night view of an office block taken through a window complete with reflections, none over 2200x2200px which would make them automatic QC fails even if they were technically sufficient which I doubt.

You have got to be kidding me.

Another thing that puzzled me, why does the app not use the gps location - I know some other apps in this field do.

Probably a good thing. My iPhone GPS gives some wildly inaccurate readings. I've never been to the Sahara Desert but I have been according to my iPhone GPS.

S000T8

And that got through the image assessment (burnt out highlights and blocked upshadows - even at thrumbnail/zoom size? Alamy might as well throw away the camera black list and reassign QC staff. They are clearly no longer needed.

- and what even makes it worse is that the image has been assessed and given the correct licence by the staff..... 

Probably a good thing. My iPhone GPS gives some wildly inaccurate readings. I've never been to the Sahara Desert but I have been according to my iPhone GPS.

i wasn't aware it is working so poorly. But see the benefits. It's a great way to shoot travel images and save the travel costs. The Arctics and Africa on the same day. :)

You cannot serve the top and bottom of the market from the same outlet. You wouldn't go Poundland or Dollar Store to buy your Cartier watch or Hermes scarf.

Alamy may have effectively (finally?) abandoned the top end of the market with this move. If I was looking for high end images for an Ad camapign I would not want to trawl through pages of low-end images. With 40million hoh-hum images (including 3100 of mine) Alamy has probably lost most of that market anyway. Certainly prices people are seeing suggests they have.

I wonder if they will have a sin bin for iPhone photographers?

hahaha you made me fall of my chair!!

You apple lovers are going to hate me. 

So i've just tried to Download this app, and Lord McApple wants me to give them my credit card information. i think after the last time i gave it to them, and my bad experience, i will wait.... for another platform please be web o.s.    

so whats being implied is from reading the comments all we need is a ClonePad (iPad) and if we upload our android or whatever phone with the same or better camera from iClone 4+ and stick it on the Cloneapple they would be accepted?  

(F.Y.I past two lines is sarcasm) 

HAHAHAHA :D

Didn't I think so :lol: . First images to appear when searching for "Stockimo":

S002D7.jpg   S002D8.jpg  S001N0.jpg   S001YN.jpg   S0012H.jpg

All on page 1.

Congratulations, well done! Alamy, are you sure you want 6 million pictures of food plates?

Cheers,

Philippe

I now completely agree with the post about the french trying to ban food photos, i think i've just lost my appetite!!!!

I'm sorry but the comments on comparing to QC I just don't understand !

There is a NON QC route for Archive and Editorial now and these images are marked as such... Im jumping to a conclusion but I'm assuming Stockimo images will be (should be ) similarly marked.

As for finding 

• We’ll introduce a filter for Stockimo shots in the future. For now, to see them, search ‘Stockimo’ under contributor name in advanced search

Lots of iPhone images are already marketed and licensed around the world

The iPhone (Camera) is still a camera and can be used well or poorly.. Reading the info - all images still go through an approval process so hopefully they won't clutter with dross.

Is it really a surprise that an agency such as Alamy wants a piece of the action??

If the photos are good they should be allowed, but if they are bad should be a QC fail, it should be checked the same way how our uploads are checked at 100% etc softness etc. You dont you want your client to buy bad images because impressions are everything. we could gain one new customer but may lose customers. Now it's just going to be harder to make that sale. I just hope the client uses the minimum size to filter them out. Guess it's going to be Phone Vs. SLR on here now

of course Alamy shouldn't ignore this area. Maybe this will finally push me into buying an iPad Mini. It will never fit a shirt pocket but at least I could get a decent view of the photo and perhaps tweak it a bit before uploading.

The really interesting aspect is that this collection is going to be edited for content, even to the extent of  ousting offerings of subjects already well covered. I checked over the contract; wow, it goes on and on and on!

You cannot serve the top and bottom of the market from the same outlet. You wouldn't go Poundland or Dollar Store to buy your Cartier watch or Hermes scarf.

Alamy may have effectively (finally?) abandoned the top end of the market with this move. If I was looking for high end images for an Ad camapign I would not want to trawl through pages of low-end images. With 40million hoh-hum images (including 3100 of mine) Alamy has probably lost most of that market anyway. Certainly prices people are seeing suggests they have.

If I was a customer and was going to pay the same price for all imagery, I would want it to be made obvious, or given the opportunity to exclude, mobile phone images. 

It's a good idea but it should be a separate portfolio. They seem to be throwing ideas randomly into the arena and seeing which ones stick.... I really cannot believe they thought they could lump them all together without a way for the customer to exclude/include them in searches.

2144 images already! Alamy might have 100 mil images until December from Stockimo! It would be great is they would split their website or maybe add a filter for "Mobile Content". Many photographers will leave Alamy to submit to other classic libraries. 

If I was a customer and was going to pay the same price for all imagery, I would want it to be made obvious, or given the opportunity to exclude, mobile phone images. 

It's a good idea but it should be a separate portfolio. They seem to be throwing ideas randomly into the arena and seeing which ones stick.... I really cannot believe they thought they could lump them all together without a way for the customer to exclude/include them in searches.

All Stockimo images start with an S prefix and customers can specify file sizes in their searches to be over a certain size if smaller images will be a problem. We’ve recognised that there’s a market for mobile phone photography and customers will have the option to filter at a later stage if they wish to do so.

We've already had an advertising customer download a high res image from the Stockimo collection and request clearences for advertising use.

We appreciate this new avenue will not be suited to all but the market is changing / has changed and there is a huge opportunity to be a part of it.

Alamy

PatrioticAlien

If the photos are good they should be allowed, but if they are bad should be a QC fail, it should be checked the same way how our uploads are checked at 100% etc softness etc. You dont you want your client to buy bad images because impressions are everything. we could gain one new customer but may lose customers. Now it's just going to be harder to make that sale. I just hope the client uses the minimum size to filter them out. Guess it's going to be Phone Vs. SLR on here now

You missed my point about there already being NON QC images in the main search and them being marked as such (reportage and archive) these routes have existed for a while now - do you think these should also go are are you happy that they are marked as such?

PatrioticAlien

You missed my point about there already being NON QC images in the main search and them being marked as such (reportage and archive) these routes have existed for a while now - do you think these should also go are are you happy that they are marked as such?

Such images do not go through the normal QC route but they are reviewed. I have had emails/ calls clarifying points (re metadata) about some of those I have submmited through News etc (not about technical quality but then I have not had a rejection for several years). Also, according to the contributor information, you only get to use those channels if you have a solid QC record and it can be withdrawn if it is not used properly. Alamy reserves the right to QC them and suspect they do if an image looks technically marginal.

All Stockimo images start with an S prefix and customers can specify file sizes in their searches to be over a certain size if smaller images will be a problem. We’ve recognised that there’s a market for mobile phone photography and customers will have the option to filter at a later stage if they wish to do so.

We've already had an advertising customer download a high res image from the Stockimo collection and request clearences for advertising use.

We appreciate this new avenue will not be suited to all but the market is changing / has changed and there is a huge opportunity to be a part of it.

Alamy

My problem is not the new market, I would like to make use of it myself (Android User) But it's the way they are all being lumped together with no option to exclude/include them in searches. 

I understand you say there is a S prefix, but look at it from a customers point of view. They enter a keyword and press search. Ah, it includes this RM but I want RF, remove the tick from the box. Revise search. How hard would it have been to include a similar option for mobile images. Now, everyone will be forced to look at ALL images.

At the moment this is not a problem, but once you've received several million images, it will become one. There really should be a separate collection within Alamy for mobile imagery. It would make it easier to promote and easier for customers to find "Mobile Imagery"

"We appreciate this new avenue will not be suited to all but the market is changing / has changed and there is a huge opportunity to be a part of it."

You should take advantage of it but not at the cost of your current source of income. This is a good idea badly implemented

Alamy

My only concern is that you have kicked this off with the app without the proper backend to support it.

I am not sure that the argument on using the existing file size filter (or the S prefix on images) is sufficient.

I would expect a single click option  (along the lines of the new / creative / relevant buttons) which is "sticky" to each user. Maybe these buttons should be expanded to be  " New / Relevant / Creative / Mobile "

4 days ago John Mitchell started a tongue in cheek topic "Radical QC Suggestion"

He wrote

"At the risk of making myself very unpopular, I would like to make a radical suggestion, namely that after almost 14 years (I believe) of operation, Alamy should consider reassessing its QC policy. The essence of my suggestion is that Alamy should think about doing what every other stock agency that I know of does  -- i.e.  simply reject images that don't meet its standards from submissions and let the others pass through the gate right away. I realize that this would probably mean more work for QC because they would have to check more individual images. But surely this could be overcome by limiting the number of images that could be submitted at once to a rational maximum number (100 images say). If this system works for so many others, I'm sure it would work for Alamy."

at the time I thought it was a little bit OTT but after seeing some of the images on Stockimo I am beginning to think he has a good point

Regards

Mal

Archived