Stockimo now you can upload photos from your iPhone to sell on here

If I can upload an image taken with an iPhone and it's of acceptable quality, why can't I now upload (and have accepted) a scan from an old Olympus Trip 35 at a similar quality?

I truly don't understand the difference . . .

dd

Perhaps Alamy want to create a curated collection of contempory, up to date and unusual images. Maybe they don't want it filled up with non QC compliant images from everyone's back catalogue going back to the dawn of digital photography and earlier!

Perhaps . . . okay, so I'll not use a backlog of Olympus Trip pics, but I'll go out and take some "contemporary, up to date and unusual images" with my Olympus and scan and submit them (if I can find it) . . . now what's the difference?

dd

You and I can't submit our film and digital images via the smartphone channel. We can't submit at the same speed, volume, or effort. Perhaps we don't have our cameras at hand when we see the urinal explode at the local restaurant.......whatever. Unless you and I have our cameras everywhere, I mean EVERYWHERE, in all (or at least most) life situations, then the smartphones may open up different opportunities.

Fact is, many people who are not photographers have smart phones. They have these phones in situations where they are unlikely to have a camera. That means more opportunity.

I have small cameras (Leica Ms). But I can't carry these everywhere either (but more places than my old Canons). I can carry my phone almost everywhere.

"Opening up different opportunities" has nothing to do with it . . . I may take up the exact same opportunity, through good luck, with my Olympus Trip . . . so why can't I submit it?

In other words, again, what is the difference between an iPhone image and my hypothetical scan of a "contemporary, up to date and unusual image" taken with an Olympus Trip 35?

There is none, as far as I can see . . . this isn't about the image, it's about . . . what? I'm still mystified.

dd

Eclectic - that's the word I've been looking for - not necessarily contemporary, up to date or unusual - just about anything that is relevant in time to news, views, or fashions - incorporating archive material when the relevance is high and using just about any camera to get it.

I'll not be buying an Iphone, but if I come across a news story and my trusty compact is not close to hand I'll shoot it on my mainly-telephone-but-with-a-camera device, Bluetooth it to my Mac and upload it to News and send it all-round to Nat and Provincial Press - it is not what you've got - it is how you use it - isn't it ?

The only drawback I can see is that the tag-line for the image lacks the trendy name, but then my images are targeted for their markets and not reliant on someone chancing across them......

Dinosaur - probably, still selling well, definitely !

As far as I can see, the Stockimo images are not going straight out to market as I thought they would be at first. They are still to be rated and then have to wait on the database update in the morning before appearing.

So if you got the exploding urinal it would be better to go the news route.

Perhaps have a shower first . . .

dd

I take my Fuji X-E1 almost everywhere; if I chanced on a news event I can upload immediately through the news channel, perhaps even using my smartphone. Not sure how I would caption it etc without a laptop though. I can do it with another news agency as I could caption after upload using the browser.

As far as I can see, the Stockimo images are not going straight out to market as I thought they would be at first. They are still to be rated and then have to wait on the database update in the morning before appearing.

.......if that is right you are already about 24hrs behind mine which should be captioned, keyworded and already in the picture desk browser......

Archived