Stockimo now you can upload photos from your iPhone to sell on here

If you were a contributor before Stockimo started you get 50% commission however, if you joined after something like the 4th Feb or something you get only 40% commission. Doesn't look like the 'S' images are being sold at any lower rate than anything else either. Not a bad money maker for Alamy with new contributors. Lets hope that investment gets put to good use. 

Blimey, sometimes you lot sound like a right bunch of old f**** ! moan moan moan... the customer isnt stupid, they can tell when an images isn't high enough quality for the usage they want. And guess what? they wont use it.  They can also sift the wheat from the chaff, if an image is basically rubbish, they wont use it.  Alamy has always been an unedited stock site, it does what it says on the tin (sorry for the cliche).... if you want a tightly edited agency, go to Corbis or Getty...this is a great idea, and there are some lovely images being taken on camera phones these days (YES, they're not just for making calls!)... get with it chaps, and instead of sitting round moaning on the forum, go take some pics! and use your camera phone if you want to!  (tongue a bit in cheek...)

It's not about the photographers or the old F****.  Yes, its the customers who come here because they know what they are getting - now throw in millions of below standard images and the need for them (for the customers) to wade through millions of images to get to the "good stuff" - the customers will turn their back on Alamy and go to where they can trust the supplier.  I certainly do not shop where I get irritated or where people are flogging anything to get my attention (regardless of the price).  Beware of the tired, frustrated customer - they are not stupid, they do bite and it will hurt all of us.

these arguments have raged for years at Alamy. have you taken a long stroll through the backwoods that are the deeper pages of Alamy? Blimey there is a lot of absolute rubbish. It's not like the arrival of stockimo is going to make much difference. The good images/photographers will rise to the top and the crap will go to the bottom ( I know that's a generalisation because some good pics do get lost in the dross but that's been the case for many years)... Alamy is a numbers game in reality, and if you want a better, more bespoke agency for your pics, go to Corbis or Getty. I have to admit that I only send Alamy the stuff that my other agencies don't want! With 20 million images it's a bit late to start discussing whether the customer may get irritated if there are too many irrelevant images! Rather than worrying about Stockimo, I think we'd be better off getting rid of the idiots that send in 30 versions of the same picture...

If you were a contributor before Stockimo started you get 50% commission however, if you joined after something like the 4th Feb or something you get only 40% commission. Doesn't look like the 'S' images are being sold at any lower rate than anything else either. Not a bad money maker for Alamy with new contributors. Lets hope that investment gets put to good use. 

Standard rate is 20% for new contributors and you can't opt out of Distributor, Newspaper or Novel Use schemes.

Just a quick point - any posts pointing to other photographer's images and subjectively questioning their quality will be removed. Repeatedly doing this will lead to your forum account being suspended.

Standard rate is 20% for new contributors and you can't opt out of Distributor, Newspaper or Novel Use schemes.

20%? Are you frickin kidding me? This game is only got one winner. 

20%? Are you frickin kidding me? This game is only got one winner. 

Yes it was in the email from Alamy -

"Download Stockimo now and turn your iPhone photos into cash. We're rewarding existing Alamy contributors by giving you 50% commission (compared to the Stockimo standard 20%) - find out how at the bottom of the email."

Blimey, sometimes you lot sound like a right bunch of old f**** ! moan moan moan... the customer isnt stupid, they can tell when an images isn't high enough quality for the usage they want. And guess what? they wont use it.  They can also sift the wheat from the chaff, if an image is basically rubbish, they wont use it.  Alamy has always been an unedited stock site, it does what it says on the tin (sorry for the cliche).... if you want a tightly edited agency, go to Corbis or Getty...this is a great idea, and there are some lovely images being taken on camera phones these days (YES, they're not just for making calls!)... get with it chaps, and instead of sitting round moaning on the forum, go take some pics! and use your camera phone if you want to!  (tongue a bit in cheek...)

It's not about the photographers or the old F****.  Yes, its the customers who come here because they know what they are getting - now throw in millions of below standard images and the need for them (for the customers) to wade through millions of images to get to the "good stuff" - the customers will turn their back on Alamy and go to where they can trust the supplier.  I certainly do not shop where I get irritated or where people are flogging anything to get my attention (regardless of the price).  Beware of the tired, frustrated customer - they are not stupid, they do bite and it will hurt all of us.

these arguments have raged for years at Alamy. have you taken a long stroll through the backwoods that are the deeper pages of Alamy? Blimey there is a lot of absolute rubbish. It's not like the arrival of stockimo is going to make much difference. The good images/photographers will rise to the top and the crap will go to the bottom ( I know that's a generalisation because some good pics do get lost in the dross but that's been the case for many years)... Alamy is a numbers game in reality, and if you want a better, more bespoke agency for your pics, go to Corbis or Getty. I have to admit that I only send Alamy the stuff that my other agencies don't want! With 20 million images it's a bit late to start discussing whether the customer may get irritated if there are too many irrelevant images! Rather than worrying about Stockimo, I think we'd be better off getting rid of the idiots that send in 30 versions of the same picture...

We're at 45.6 million now Mark and I would imagine that sum will increase considerable with the iPhone snaps. We'll probably be looking at 60/70 million by Xmas and the "Phone(y)stock" will be dominating the searches via preferential editing.

My kids (aged 12 and 15) have just picked up from their Facebook stuff that Alamy are taking iPhone images !!!!!!!!!

Seems the word is getting around!

Just a quick point - any posts pointing to other photographer's images and subjectively questioning their quality will be removed. Repeatedly doing this will lead to your forum account being suspended.

So QC is officially suspended for people with telephones, but not for photographers who have spent years perfecting their skills and sharpening their act to get through QC then?

We have to wait, and the crappysnappers don't?

So QC is officially suspended for people with telephones, but not for photographers who have spent years perfecting their skills and sharpening their act to get through QC then?

And have spent thousands on equipment to meet Alamy's quality demands.

Personally, I'm not in favor of lowering quality in order to add speed. I would not be happy with that. Most of my reasons for doing what I do in stock these days have to do with me moving towards the exit of of this confused, confusing "industry."  :(

Me too!

I write on slow travel, slow food and slow living generally - it is all about taking time to appreciate life, people and places. My photography is increasingly being part of that - long term projects where I properly get inside the subject.

Perhaps, with our matching white beards, Martin, we could put together a singing-and-dancing act, work the cruise ships? 

There was a nice metaphor I heard from a senior a few years ago: "I no longer run for buses." 

Perhaps, but I still do run for buses, and of course in the UK I now have a free bus pass so it is worthwhile!

BTW you don't want to hear me sing. My wife won't even let me on the very odd times I go to church (weddings and funerals).

True, but they weren't ever pushed to the first page as the phone images currently are.

That was the point I was trying to make about the sin bin.

They also get paid as soon as they hit the $10 mark into a paypal account. I don't suppose they'll worry about paying tax on any earnings either.

True, but they weren't ever pushed to the first page as the phone images currently are.

Nothing is pushed to the front page. Search results follow exactly the same rules as any other images. 

Nothing is pushed to the front page. Search results follow exactly the same rules as any other images. 

So why are so many people reporting finding them at the front of searches?

Keyword relevancy, diversity algorithm etc etc.

Thoughts.

Some sort of deal with Apple?

I would definitely think a deal with apple. It's the only way it would make sense to just have "iPhoneography" as opposed to Androidography or Blackberryography or Windowsography.

Me, I'll stick with Canonography for now, which surely must be different than Nikonography or Olympusography..

Jill

No deal whatsoever with Apple.

It made sense to initially develop for one platform (lots of apps do/did this, eg, instagram) and our research told us that iPhone would be best suited to this project initially. 

Developing for different platforms is on the roadmap - it's all just dependent on how the project develops.

On balance I think if you're 'invested' in Alamy as a contributor this a good thing in that shows Alamy are on top of what is going on in the marketplace. Plenty of other agencies in various price brackets already have mobile phone collections that are performing well? The trend and demand for the realistic immediacy of phone images (or shots with that feel) is the thing at the moment and it's no use putting claims of x squillion images on your homepage if few are of the style buyers are looking for. Keeping buyers coming by keeping the collection relevant is good for all of us.

Having said that my mobile shots will go elsewhere while it's IOS only, never mind iPhone or android, what about Nokia windows phone for the best mobile cameras?!

Alex

Keyword relevancy, diversity algorithm etc etc.

So what happened to 'median rank' for new images?

And if 'Keyword relevancy' is higher for certain (all?) Stockimo images, is this because the number of keywords is so few (displayed keywords for all Stockimo images seem to be limited to ~ 6-12)?  So in the example given (flag blue sky) the relevancy will naturally be higher because those words make up the bulk of the keyword content.

And if so...why have I been wasting countless hours over the nightmare that is the Alamy three-tier keywording system?

Archived