New to Alamy, almost all my photos are soft at 100% help!

I use a Nikon D60, not the fanciest of cameras. I did get my 4 test photos accepted but had to really look through my images to find four that were super sharp. It seems almost all my favorite photos are soft at 100%. I am not super knowledgeable about what to do to fix this. Is it just my camera or is it my settings? Here is a recent favorite and then zoomed in for an example of a photo that I thought was in focus but really wasn't. Any help is appreciated!

DSC_0202.jpg

DSC_0202-Copy.jpg

I had the same problem with critical sharpness when I started here at Alamy, with the result that I didn’t upload some favourite pix... because they were a bit soft. So I tightened up my technique: minimal cropping, use of tripod for ‘static’ shots, getting pix sharp where they need to be sharp, etc... and my last QC failure was two years ago. I don’t have a fancy camera either: D200.

I’d say be unsentimental about the pix you choose to upload; if your best shots are not critically sharp, don’t risk it. Anyway, it’s best to be shooting new stuff, IMO, with stock usage firmly in mind.

At least you passed the first test...  :)

That example isn't soft. The eyes are sharp, so you have that right, but you needed a good bit more depth of field- I think Alamy would want the sign sharp too.

For many purposes the shallow DoF in that pic is a good choice, though. I might submit it on its own so its rejection doesn't affect any others.

But John is right. The discipline of QC does sharpen up, haha, your technique.

I agree maybe the sign could be sharper - but it is readable and makes the image's point fine. The critical thing - eyes in focus - is good. It's a compositional thing about the sign and I think Alamy would accept (I have submitted hundreds of very low DOF pictures - the one that failed years ago was slightly unsharp at the critical subject point so they are intelligent about this !)

When I bought a D70 in 2004 I was horrified at first at the 100% performance - but that camera supplied most of my Alamy uploads and I learn an awful lot from the Alamy QC process and advice on these forums.

One tip I have found useful - view an image at 100% sharpened sometimes - it looks great if the basic sharpness is good - horrible if there is camera shake etc. Then remember unsharpened for Alamy...

John Crellin

One tip I have found useful - view an image at 100% sharpened sometimes - it looks great if the basic sharpness is good - horrible if there is camera shake etc. Then remember unsharpened for Alamy...

Agree. I often do this if I am in doubt. There is a difference between objects being in focus and sharp. Some objects seem unsharp even if they are in focus in the raw and unsharpened form. Just be sure you don't upload the sharpened edition to Alamy  :)

I use a Nikon D60, not the fanciest of cameras. I did get my 4 test photos accepted but had to really look through my images to find four that were super sharp. It seems almost all my favorite photos are soft at 100%. I am not super knowledgeable about what to do to fix this. Is it just my camera or is it my settings? Here is a recent favorite and then zoomed in for an example of a photo that I thought was in focus but really wasn't. Any help is appreciated!

Claire what lens/lenses do you use with the Nikon? Kit lenses for example?

I think because the viewer's eyes go immediately to the sign the effect is of a blurry photo. If it was just the dog the sharp eyes would be all you'd need. I love the photo. Increasing your depth of field would make a big difference in terms of being "safe" for Alamy. Animals with only the eyes in focus can be very effective but they don't always work.

Paulette

I would have put in the caption that there was selective focus on the eyes which might have got it through QC.

But then, I've just spent a month in the sin bin so what do I know?   ;)

Apparently, no-one in QC reads captions... they just look at selected pix at 100%...

I would have put in the caption that there was selective focus on the eyes which might have got it through QC.

Apparently, no-one in QC reads captions... they just look at selected pix at 100%...

I've not had any rejected when I've mentioned selective focus but I may just have been lucky.

We can confirm this is the case - what you write in the caption does not affect the QC decision.

I think I would have chanced that image if the sign was not there. As noted above the eyes are good and if that had been the focus of the image, ok. But the sign is a key element and it is soft. I also think your depth of focus is too thin to show everything it should in that image.

Generally I think it is a waste of time to go through your harddrive for images. Stock requires a certain level of quality, and technical performance that is rarely met by casual photography. Shoot new material with stock in mind, paying attention to the details and you will have better success. YMMV

Ok, thanks everyone for your replies. I guess I was staring at it too long and thinking it was not in focus. I am not submitting this photo, just using it as an example. I am having a hard time deciding what is going to be accepted and what is not. Ok, greater depth of field, got it! No more cute dogs, got it! Trying harder to think of saleable photography.

My lenses are the 50mm 1.8 Nikor (manual focus only) and the 18-200 telephoto lens.

Archived