Sony RX100

Phil

Question

The RX100 appears to be a popular pocket/purse camera with many Alamy contributors.

For those with an Alamy track record with an RX100 - 

Is there any benefit when shooting RAW to reducing file size when Exporting an uncropped .jpg with LrC as an effort to preclude any noise or "soft and lacking definition" or other Alamy QC rejections that might result from the RX100's smaller sensor?

• Like 2

I use Sony RX 100 mk7 and use "Denoise" in LrC if the images require it.  Images are not usually S and LD when shooting up to 800 ISO. I sometimes get it at 1600 ISO though.

I have reduced file size in the past but that was with earlier versions on RX100.

Allan

Edit:  I have been shooting images at night recently with the mk7 and am getting good results hand held down to 1/6th sec at 1600.

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Phil said:

The RX100 appears to be a popular pocket/purse camera with many Alamy contributors.

Is there any benefit when shooting RAW to reducing file size when Exporting an uncropped .jpg with LrC as an effort to preclude any noise or "soft and lacking definition" or other Alamy QC rejections that might result from the RX100's smaller sensor?

I've had no Alamy QC problems with noise at low ISO on my RX100 Mk 3 shooting in RAW and using LR/ACR with default detail/NR settings. But, if shooting above ISO 400 I might downsize and/or resort to more NR. It may only have a 1" sensor, but the back side illumination and good electronics seem to pay dividends. It's a remarkable little camera.

Mark 

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 4

Nearly all my 7000+ images were shot with an RX100 M1 or RX100 M3.  Most are full size but some are reduced, usually when shot in lower light.  I've not had one rejection due to quality.  I think I have only had one rejection and that was my fault not noticing black dots in a sky due to a swarm of insects near the edge.  Most images have been shot in RAW on full auto with minor adjustments in post.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Didn't we kick this subject around recently? 

Anyway, I shoot almost all my Alamy images on a Sony RX100/7 now. It is a big improvement over the earlier models . . . with a 24-200 mm Zeiss zoom, a popup viewfinder, and improved autofocus. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phil said:

Phil, I shoot RAW. I don't reduce file size. If needed, I correct for noise in LrC with the Denoise tool. I handhold everything and don't use flash. And I have a 5-star QC rating. 

• Like 2

Another satisfied RX100 user here. If taken In decent light the images can normally be used full size with minimal intervention. However if you want to tweak the photos, maybe make a blue sky pop, some serious noise control is often needed in that area. I also use a Sony APS-C camera which is my preferred choice, the images are more robust and can withstand more post processing than those from the RX. It's horses for courses, the RX100 comes on bike rides or long walks, the heavier, more bulky camera with interchangeable lenses if the primary purpose is photography. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Another satisfied RX100 user here. If taken In decent light the images can normally be used full size with minimal intervention. However if you want to tweak the photos, maybe make a blue sky pop, some serious noise control is often needed in that area. I also use a Sony APS-C camera which is my preferred choice, the images are more robust and can withstand more post processing than those from the RX. It's horses for courses, the RX100 comes on bike rides or long walks, the heavier, more bulky camera with interchangeable lenses if the primary purpose is photography. 

Bryan, I agree with your comments re the RX100 and decent light / noise control. I bought my RX100 M7 just as lockdown was coming in, as a pocketable inconspicuous camera to carry on lockdown walks so I could continue photography. If I planned to be out and about all day shooting a wide variety of subjects in varying conditions I would not take it with me, D750's or D500's would be my choice. I keep its ISO as low as possible and use it mostly for static subjects, and they have licensed. The RX100 was bought new and wasn't cheap, but it enables me to always have a camera with me so no annoying frustration of missing an interesting capture. For the sort of subjects I photograph I would never anticipate using  as my sole camera.

• Like 1

Many thanks to all who have shared their RX100 experiences.

Some good nuggets of information provided.

I did get myself a slightly early Christmas gift of an RX100M7.  While certainly not an inexpensive pocket camera it's apparent capabilities have surprised me and I'm looking forward to putting it to use.

• Like 4

I tried to buy a Sony RX100Vll for "Christmas" to replace my Sony RX100V but where I live there is no inventory in camera stores, even the Sony and Amazon online stores are out of stock.

I do reduce the size of the photos from my Sony RX100V, I tend to reduce to 90% in P.S. and that takes take of any noise. The M5 does get soft on the edge of the frame but otherwise they are great images and you can always be carrying it in a pocket. Good luck Phil and enjoy it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Normspics said:

I tried to buy a Sony RX100Vll for "Christmas" to replace my Sony RX100V but where I live there is no inventory in camera stores, even the Sony and Amazon online stores are out of stock

It must be quite popular - mine was the last one in my local camera store.   

• Love 1

41 minutes ago, Normspics said:

I tried to buy a Sony RX100Vll for "Christmas" to replace my Sony RX100V but where I live there is no inventory in camera stores, even the Sony and Amazon online stores are out of stock.

Gee, Norm -- I bought my RX100/7 in Montreal in 2019. But the world has become more difficult to navigate since then. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Gee, Norm -- I bought my RX100/7 in Montreal in 2019. But the world has become more difficult to navigate since then. 

It has Ed and I think the shortage of the 100M7 is maybe because it’s not a priority of Sony. It’s a wonderful travel camera especially for us who are getting up there in years 😂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Normspics said:

It has Ed and I think the shortage of the 100M7 is maybe because it’s not a priority of Sony. It’s a wonderful travel camera especially for us who are getting up there in years 😂

Or Sony might be about to release a new model. The 100/7 has been out for 5 years now.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Normspics said:

The shortage might also be due to the fact that most people use their phones to take pictures now. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone carrying a "real" camera, even a tiny one like the RX100. Camera fans seem to have become an elite group. Also, the RX100VII is expensive, and cost is a big factor for a lot of people these days. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

The shortage might also be due to the fact that most people use their phones to take pictures now. I can't remember the last time I saw anyone carrying a "real" camera, even a tiny one like the RX100. Camera fans seem to have become an elite group. Also, the RX100VII is expensive, and cost is a big factor for a lot of people these days. 

Yes John you are right, the big photo casualties are point and shoot cameras at the hands of cell phones. It’s unfortunate that Sony has two excellent cameras designed from a long time ago, the Sony Rx10 and Sony Rx100 both sharing the same sensor but they have stopped updating them, even though they have a strong following but maybe not commercially viable, especially with the chip shortage from the pandemic. We as Alamy contributors are stuck between Sony corporate decisions and Alamy’s resistance to accept cellphone images through the mainstream Alamy site.

22 minutes ago, Normspics said:

Yes John you are right, the big photo casualties are point and shoot cameras at the hands of cell phones. It’s unfortunate that Sony has two excellent cameras designed from a long time ago, the Sony Rx10 and Sony Rx100 both sharing the same sensor but they have stopped updating them, even though they have a strong following but maybe not commercially viable, especially with the chip shortage from the pandemic. We as Alamy contributors are stuck between Sony corporate decisions and Alamy’s resistance to accept cellphone images through the mainstream Alamy site.

I'm still using my Sony NEX-6 and a6000, both bought at bargain Boxing Week prices a number of years ago. Can't see myself "upgrading" from the a6000 unless it falls apart. Even then, I'd probably look around for a used replacement. That said, the RX100's sound like excellent little cameras. You do have to wonder how much longer traditional cameras will remain commercially viable, though, which could make them even scarcer and increasingly more expensive.

• Like 1

Great discussion - lots to recommend the RX100 vii for a light walking around camera from its small size to its huge zoom range, but the $1,299 price tag is a lot for a camera that's been out 5 years. I saw it used for $974 which is better, but thinking I should wait a bit. I'm wondering if the scarcity means something new is on the horizon since they haven't actually phased out point and shoots - they  came out with the ZV-1 II in 2023 (a point and shoot 20MP w/  an f/1.8-4 18-50mm zoom aimed at Vloggers for $899).  I like the much longer zoom range of the RX100 and don't need all the video bells and whistles of the ZV-1, so I hope they upgrade the RX100 series (with an improved menu over the current Sony nightmare). If not, I'll look for a used one in the spring. 

I was particularly interested in the RX100 vii's low light shooting capabilities since I like to shoot at night & Allan's answered that. I know Edo uses it indoors for food a lot too. 

• Like 1

On 28/12/2023 at 18:57, John Mitchell said:

I bought one for my wife's birthday last year and was lucky to get £100 off the RRP as John Lewis was closing it's camera section and it was the last one. Her mk1 developed a problem with the lens cover sticking so keeping it in a spectacle bag might be a good idea rather than in a pocket or handbag, just to stop any dirt or fluff getting in there. I haven't really had any use of it yet but I'm sure I will given time. 😉