Sony announces 1st full-frame global shutter camera

The Sony A9 III just announced.  Available early next year.   Global shutter supposedly a game changer.  At $6000 I'll order 2 - one for stills stock and 2nd for video stock.  😄

https://www.dpreview.com/news/7271416294/sony-announces-a9-iii-world-s-first-full-frame-global-shutter-camera

• Love 1

Let me do the math at what price this camera will cost here in the Third World.
putting the dollar value today...
US$6,000 = 30,000.00 thousand reais
+ taxes around 60%..........$18,000.00
Total = 48,000.00 thousand reais
+ Fees = 50,000.00 thousand reais
I think I'm also going to order two units..... lol

34 minutes ago, Jose Decio Molaro said:

Let me do the math at what price this camera will cost here in the Third World.
putting the dollar value today...
US$6,000 = 30,000.00 thousand reais
+ taxes around 60%..........$18,000.00
Total = 48,000.00 thousand reais
+ Fees = 50,000.00 thousand reais
I think I'm also going to order two units..... lol

Everything electronic other than house cleaning and coffee prep items I import to Nicaragua face a 30% to 40% add on for duty and sales tax, plus the cost of shipping down here.  So, yeah, I feel your pain. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Phil said:

Global shutter supposedly a game changer.

Why is 'global shutter" a game changer?
What can this camera do (photos) that no other camera can do?

Dumb it down for the technically challenged, will you...?

Some wonder if this is just new gear fever...

🤩__ 🤩__ 🤩

Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

Dumb it down for the technically challenged, will you Rosco...?

🤩__ 🤩__ 🤩

entire image get processed in one go as opposed current sensors that process multiple parts of sensor which can result in the rolling shutter effect.  it's a camera for capturing fast motion subjects and high end sports photogs. since associated press uses only sony cameras now, this camera is tailor made for their sports photogs.

Edited by sooth

OK, just read minimum ISO = 250.

I'd have to give up the 100 I most often use;

180fps, I can see that as advantage for sports shooters but...

imagine reviewing 180 nearly identical exposures to find best...

which may be barely better than its "neigbors"
& doing that editing over & over & over & over...

not me cup o tea

Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

Dumb it down for the technically challenged, will you...?

🤩__ 🤩__ 🤩

Flash at all speeds is a real game changer. The rest is just nice to have.

wim

• Like 1

Gee, I better order a couple of these new Sonys. Let's see: that will probably cost $15,000 in the UK and I'll need a few lenses. Since I only shoot editorial stock for Alamy now and most of the sales are $1.50 or so gross . . . Hmm. I'm gonna need a lot more of those sales. 

Flash at all speeds, Wim points out. I'm trying to remember the last time I used flash. 

Another thing -- will this new Sony fit into the pocket of my puffy coat? If not, what am I supposed to do? Wear the thing around my neck or over an arm? That would be like retreating into the past. 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Like 1

At $8,298 Canadian without a lens it will take a huge amount of time to recoup through stock sales. It seems clearly aimed at video with global shutter and lower megapixel sensor, possibly a hybrid for newspaper reporters.

I was mulling over investing in cameras for stock photography / video and thought it’s not worth upgrading, rather using to its fullest my existing equipment, a Sony RX100 M5 and a Canon RP. I did a trip to Iceland and Greenland recently and just took my Sony Rx100M5 and felt I experienced the trip more, than fusing with the Canon and three lenses, filters etc.

Edited by Normspics
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I must agree, Norm. I have the RX100/5, 6, and 7. I mostly carry the 7. I find the extra stop on the 5 pointless, but the extra reach of the 24-120 is great. And they all fit nicely into my puffy coat pocket.

I'm leaning more to my RX100/7 for stock these days.

Wondering what to do with the two A6500 bodies and the Tamron 11 - 20mm and the Sigma 18-50mm lenses and the Sony 18 - 135 lens. all getting less and less use.

I know they can go in my display case in the office.

Allan

23 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I'm leaning more to my RX100/7 for stock these days.

Wondering what to do with the two A6500 bodies and the Tamron 11 - 20mm and the Sigma 18-50mm lenses and the Sony 18 - 135 lens. all getting less and less use.

I know they can go in my display case in the office.

Allan

I just did a bit of a clear out of gear I hardly ever use including my Sony RX100VA - amazing tech and image quality but I never enjoyed using it really - too small and fiddly. I like a camera that I can get a proper grip on and I don't do walkabout photography much anyway. My last film camera, an FM3A that I haven't used since well before I joined Alamy, is also gone. I used Ffordes and did commission sales which saved a lot of hassle. Both sold almost as soon as they went on sale on their website. Worth a look if you are thinking of selling gear as they offer sales guarantees and deal with any problems if customers are not happy with the gear. 

Edited by MDM

16 hours ago, MDM said:

I just did a bit of a clear out of gear I hardly ever use including my Sony RX100VA - amazing tech and image quality but I never enjoyed using it really - too small and fiddly. I like a camera that I can get a proper grip on and I don't do walkabout photography much anyway. My last film camera, an FM3A that I haven't used since well before I joined Alamy, is also gone. I used Ffordes and did commission sales which saved a lot of hassle. Both sold almost as soon as they went on sale on their website. Worth a look if you are thinking of selling gear as they offer sales guarantees and deal with any problems if customers are not happy with the gear. 

Thanks Mick.

I am still undecided so hanging on to the goods for the time being.

Nice day here so going in to Lincoln with just the RX100/7 and see hoe things pan out. The only thing I am short of doing it this way is a wide angle lens, which is on one of the a6500 bodies.  Yes lens is equivalent to 24 -200mm but my other wide angle gives a bit wider which is useful sometimes.

Allan

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Thanks Mick.

I am still undecided so hanging on to the goods for the time being.

Nice day here so going in to Lincoln with just the RX100/7 and see hoe things pan out. The only thing I am short of doing it this way is a wide angle lens, which is on one of the a6500 bodies.  Yes lens is equivalent to 24 -200mm but my other wide angle gives a bit wider which is useful sometimes.

Allan

My thoughts exactly. 

• Like 1